Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm

I recently removed my only overdrive from my main board. Feels weird, but I don’t really miss it. I’m down to 4 pedals and one’s a tuner.

I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly positive ones. I can still get plenty of crunch out of my setup, and I tend to use my delay more to thicken things up instead of just piling on the gain. I was also able to move my tuner away from the rest, so less accidental muting while trying to sing/play/step on things.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 pm

MXR M300 is a sweet little number, I was considering getting one of those when i recently changed reverbs but went with the super spring theory because I wanted a good combo of spring and room. Both together would be tempting. :whistle:
If OSG has tort me anything...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Nanamour, that is a lovely little board!! I've got one of the two footswitch Broadcasts, and I like the low gain side more than the high gain side. They both sound great with guitar, but I bought it for bass, so I don't use the high gain.

Also, what's the pedal on the far left (off the board)?
marqueemoon wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm
I recently removed my only overdrive from my main board. Feels weird, but I don’t really miss it. I’m down to 4 pedals and one’s a tuner.

I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly positive ones. I can still get plenty of crunch out of my setup, and I tend to use my delay more to thicken things up instead of just piling on the gain. I was also able to move my tuner away from the rest, so less accidental muting while trying to sing/play/step on things.
I've been thinking about that a bit. I like having my big board, but I'm thinking about a small board as well, where I just move the most used pedals from my big board to a smaller board now and again. I think I could do tuner, boost, OD, tremolo, and delay, and be happy.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:29 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:19 pm
Nanamour, that is a lovely little board!! I've got one of the two footswitch Broadcasts, and I like the low gain side more than the high gain side. They both sound great with guitar, but I bought it for bass, so I don't use the high gain.

Also, what's the pedal on the far left (off the board?
It’s the trem/verb footswitch for my amp (an old Ampeg Reverberocket 2). I actually have an extra one kicking around which I’ve thought about housing a knobless fuzz of some sort in, perhaps with a boost switch, but worried I’d pick up a lot of RF noise with the plastic enclosure.

Agh, I’d love one of the dual switch Broadcasts but put my order in just before they came out. What voltage are you running yours at?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 am

nanamour wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:29 am
It’s the trem/verb footswitch for my amp (an old Ampeg Reverberocket 2). I actually have an extra one kicking around which I’ve thought about housing a knobless fuzz of some sort in, perhaps with a boost switch, but worried I’d pick up a lot of RF noise with the plastic enclosure.

Agh, I’d love one of the dual switch Broadcasts but put my order in just before they came out. What voltage are you running yours at?
It's got 2 switches, why not do both a boost and a knob-less fuzz? ;D

Mine is a 9V Broadcast. I do kinda wonder how good the higher voltages sound, but at the time I was thinking more about having everything be the same voltage so as not to need something weird for power. What's yours?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:25 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 am
It's got 2 switches, why not do both a boost and a knob-less fuzz? ;D
That was the thought!

The Broadcast can safely run on anything between 9 and 24V, I power mine at 18V which gives it a pretty substantial bump in headroom and tames the scorched earth sonic annihilation of the high gain channel just a smidge...might be worth experimenting with a voltage doubler for yours, especially if you’re using it for bass :)

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am

Yeah I like it best at 18v. 24v makes it lose the character of the high gain imo but it's best for pushing whatever's next in the chain with the low gain side.

onebigholiday
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by onebigholiday » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Disclaimer: I've posted this board before... but not this exact board!

I have the TVL JM to match this board but oddly when I strap it on and hit these pedals, the sounds do not come out the same.

Anyways... yo, check me out.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:18 pm

The Rubberneck and Gray Channel look very nice side by side. That whole setup is pretty sweet.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

nanamour wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:25 am
The Broadcast can safely run on anything between 9 and 24V, I power mine at 18V which gives it a pretty substantial bump in headroom and tames the scorched earth sonic annihilation of the high gain channel just a smidge...might be worth experimenting with a voltage doubler for yours, especially if you’re using it for bass :)
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:50 am
Yeah I like it best at 18v. 24v makes it lose the character of the high gain imo but it's best for pushing whatever's next in the chain with the low gain side.
Interesting. I don't know if I have anything that has 18VDC right now, but my main board is powered by a Gig Rig system, so I know it's possible. I'll have to look into that. Definitely might be worth trying. I've got 2 gains on my bass board: the dual footswitch Broadcast, and a SS/BS Mini. If I could get to where I love both switches on the Broadcast, I think that would be ridiculous flexibility for gain on that board! Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:00 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:18 pm
The Rubberneck and Gray Channel look very nice side by side. That whole setup is pretty sweet.
Thought the same thing. I love when companies like EQD use the same length/depth pedal enclosures for their own stuff, or as other companies. It looks so clean when they're side-by-side.

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 am

nanamour wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am
So a few months back I was embroiled in a manic quest for a board-mounted reverb pedal to finally replace the ungainly (and becoming unreliable) Midiverb II I had perched atop ofamp for years--I went through probably ten pedals in the matter of months, Strymons, Eventide, Boss, etc, etc, obsessing over specs and reviews, only to be unsatisfied each and every time and subsequently taking a slight loss each time I flipped a pedal for the next one. I finally settled on a Boss RV-500 (fantastic pedal for anyone looking for an end-all, be-all reverb btw) for a while, but found myself seemingly spending more time editing patches and tweaking minutiae than playing...it was a depressing realization, thinking about all the time and money I'd spent consuming myself in the pedalsphere, chasing some vague sound I had in my head that seemed to become ever more elusive the more I invested in trying to capture it with effects.

{Warning, blooz lawyer content ahead:} Thinking back in part to some excellent ruminations on pedal minimalism in the past from Mijmog, StevenO, and other forumites, I decided I needed a break from pedals entirely, and played more or less plugged straight into my tape echo and amp for the last two months or so. What a liberating experience that was...I found myself playing more creatively, getting as wide a variety of sounds with the amp's onboard trem/verb and my volume knob interacting with the tape echo's preamp as I was with the whole kit and caboodle of my pedalboard, and most importantly, I was deriving more enjoyment from just playing than I had in years. In something of a fit, and with some school bills looming on the horizon, I sold off nearly all of my pedals, the couple rack units I owned, and my second amp and pared things down to this:

I'll occasionally stick a fuzz face and/or a wah in front of this little board, but 95% of the time, this setup going into my Klemt Echolette (or currently while the tape echo is awaiting new glass, a Deluxe Memory Man) covers any sound I want to make. The Carlin compressor adds welcome low and and ringing, sustaining compression, and the distortion knob yields a surprisingly nice light overdrive; the Broadcast covers everything from neutral clean boost, to snarly treble booster sizzle, to raunchy overdrive, to sputtery fuzz mayhem, and the MXR M300 can cop a decent enough impression of most of my preferred Midiverb settings, with truly spectacular plate and modulated reverb modes. I won't delude myself into believing I'll never go down a pedal rabbithole again (already thinking about big fuzz pedals to stick in front :ph34r: ), but it's nice to remind myself that this is more than I'll ever need.

Sorry for the ramble--I know there have been plenty of threads on simplifying/paring down in the past, but man is it a good feeling!
Man... being a Reine Fiske fan, I've always wanted to play a Carlin Compressor. It's sorta fuzzy, more than just a straightforward comp, right? Also is that an original, or did they reissue them at some point? Looks to be in insanely good shape, wondering where you found it. I've thought about asking Creepy Fingers to build me one, think he's done em in the past. Anyway, super cool! 8)

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:01 am

popvulture wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 am
Man... being a Reine Fiske fan, I've always wanted to play a Carlin Compressor. It's sorta fuzzy, more than just a straightforward comp, right? Also is that an original, or did they reissue them at some point? Looks to be in insanely good shape, wondering where you found it. I've thought about asking Creepy Fingers to build me one, think he's done em in the past. Anyway, super cool! 8)
You're right! It's a reissue/clone from Moody Sounds in Sweden. Sort of an 'official unofficial' reissue: IIRC Albin at Moody Sounds worked loosely with Nils Olof Carlin (the electronics wizard who designed the OG Carlin comp along with several other pedals used by a number of bands during the Progg era), who provided advice and instruction on the cloning of the original Carlin compressor and ok'd the final clone. The website says they're sold out, but I believe they still pop up on eBay directly from Moody Sounds from time to time for around a Benjamin including shipping from SWE.

It sounds quite different from most other compressors I've tried (mostly in the Dynacomp/Ross-derived camp)...the attack is a fair bit less aggressive; it feels 'looser' than those comps in a way. Sounds great throughout the range of sustain, and yes, there's a 'distortion' knob, which adds a sort of fuzzy sizzle to the signal, not really all-out fuzz or distortion, but not quite like a traditional overdrive either. There's an internal trim pot which adjusts the level of sustain/distortion, but I've found increasing it much from the factory setting results in too much noise to warrant any extra compression or gain. Really great pedal, I like it for simulating the compression and crackly drive I get from my tape echo's preamp stage.

I've been wanting to try the Creepy Fingers take on the circuit too, been very tempted each time one pops up on Reverb. Let me know how you get on with yours if you end up having Brad/Creepy Fingers build you one!

{massive Reine Fiske fan here too btw}

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Nice, that's super rad! I might look around a little bit for a reissue before trying other avenues.

Love the Broadcast, too—lusted after it for a while then finally pulled the trigger earlier this year, haven't regretted it a bit.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:08 am

The most recent moderate size bass setup:
bass > MXR Studio Compressor > TCE Polytune Mini > One Control Tri Loop {[Loop R (Aguilar Tone Hammer > Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop Millennium) > [Loop L (MXR Carbon Copy > Aguilar Chorusaurus > 3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove)]} >MXR 10 Band EQ > Fulltone TruePath ABY > amp(s)

Recent acquisitions were the 2 Aguilar boxes and the Tone Hammer is pretty damn amazing so far, handily covering pre-amp duties for saturated clean sounds through SVT on the verge of meltdown driven sounds w/ really nicely tuned EQ, pretty much only using the Barbershop for the awesome sag special sauce it provides and the EQ box for an alternate tone that is easy to switch to.