Univox Hi-fliers: tonal differences between phase 1 and 2?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Brianh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Univox Hi-fliers: tonal differences between phase 1 and 2?

Post by Brianh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Found some univox threads here. Anyone have experience with both? Phase 1 typically had slightly thicker bodies and sometimes necks. Any appreciable or noticeable tonal differences between the two? Otherwise they’re basically the same. Thanks!

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Univox Hi-fliers: tonal differences between phase 1 and 2?

Post by sumlin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:30 pm

My understanding is that Phases 1 and 2 are largely the same except for cosmetic differences like the rocker switches (1) vs the 3-way switch (2) and the bolted-on logo (1) vs screened logo (2). That said, I've seen some Phase 1s with a much darker neck wood, almost like a laminate.
And there are huge differences across the production run of Phase 3s so it's hard to say. Early Phase 3s have very different pickups to the later ones and the neck plate, body wood and neck thickness changes across what is thought to be the same 'Phase' of the model.
What's worth remembering is that ALL Univox Hi Fliers are awesome. Every one of them.

Brianh
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Brianh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for the response! I have a phase 2 and have been wondering if it’s worth the $ to buy a phase 1. The phase 1 is usually substantially higher in price because of KC’s use. Like you said phase 1 sometimes has a darker neck wood, and more pronounced three (or sometimes more) piece neck with varying wood shades. So again, just wondering if the phase 1 is worth the $ or if a phase 2 gets you to the same place.

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

I would say the variations from guitar to guitar are big enough alone to warrant playing one before buying it but the pickups are the main differing point as AFAIK the single coils in Phases 1 and 2 are identical.