Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
luau
Admin
Admin

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by luau » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:21 am

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am

Ekin Fil - Bloody Sunday Saw Ekin Fil mentioned in the Grouper thread--for anyone interested, she has a new(/ish) album, Maps, out with copies (limited to <280) remaining. Really beautiful etherial melancholy, at once panoramically grandiose, yet hauntingly intimate. This blurb from the bandcamp does a decent job of letting you know what you're getting:
the saddest songs of the durutti column excised of rhythm and those few plunges into sorrow by harold budd make for apt comparisons to maps, in addition to the drone-on classics of grouper, slowdive, and sarah davachi
Claudio Rocchi - Volo Magico n.1 Found an original copy of this languishing in a San Francisco record shop this weekend and was more than happy to give it a home. Great cut of cinematic Italian prog with an ultra-cool gatefold
NickD wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:16 pm
Szun Waves - New Hymn To freedom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyM6a-D4gM

The rest of the album is well worth checking out too, as is their last album - club tinged jazz motorik
I really enjoyed the previous Szun Waves album as well, such a seamless mortising together of jazz-psych exploration with an electro-motorik bounce. Thanks for the heads up, really looking forward to properly diving into this!
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:27 am
A local Glasgow label I adore 'Invisible Inc' has released an absolutely stonking compilation to celebrate its 20th release. It's a killer blend of Fourth World, post punk, ambient, dub, jazz and techno.

Lost Transmissions From The Off​-​World Territories
I've got a copy of this incoming, thanks. Seems there's quite a healthy concentration of great little labels based in Glasgow these days. While I was on the Bandcamp I couldn't help but insta-buy this...anything called 'Psychedelic Dungeon Disco' is catnip to me!

Edit: been on a Sordid Sound System kick all morning--
Sordid Sound System - The Baron LOVE

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:16 am

nanamour wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 am

I've got a copy of this incoming, thanks. Seems there's quite a healthy concentration of great little labels based in Glasgow these days. While I was on the Bandcamp I couldn't help but insta-buy this...anything called 'Psychedelic Dungeon Disco' is catnip to me!

Edit: been on a Sordid Sound System kick all morning--
Sordid Sound System - The Baron LOVE
That is an absolutely FANTASTIC compilation, the best in ages IMO.

Psychedelic Dungeon Disco is amazing, I can't get enough of You and Me, properly psychedelic, especially in the second half when it spins into a sort of 'True' seen through a Lovecraftian mirror.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:00 am

Penelope Trappes - Carry Me seven of the year for me gaseous and absolutely gorgeous with dripping mausoleum drums. Her last album Penelope One was a real favourite the other year and I can't wait for the new one in a month. The seven comes with an immense 15 minute Abul Mogard remix on an accompanying CD that seems filled with the resonance of long silent pipe organ.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:54 am

Alison Statton & Spike ‎- Sixty Second Window

Furniture - Why are we in love for some reason Alison Statton had me pulling this unheralded classic. :-* and indeed more :-*

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)

French Vanilla - Evolution of a Friendship I heard this in a shop and assumed it was an old Au Pairs or Maximum Joy influenced band I'd somehow missed but they is from the US and new. Here's a live in studio version.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 am

Totally nuts for Black Lodge. Bitter Blood: A Collection Of Archival Recordings. It's like all the good stuff from Muslimgauze to, Woo, Tarcar/F ingers, Nocturnal Emissions, Flaming Tunes, Morricone, N.Racker, Coil...all the subterranean chamber folkhorror ghostworlds united (plus a stray synthpop track).

Individual tracks are non existent online but you can listen to the whole thing here.

Ah here a single track Black Lodge - Jamais Vu

Oh swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Marissa Nadler - Blue Vapor something about this reminds me of Swans and Skin

Marissa Nadler - For My Crimes and a live acoustic one.

Marissa Nadler - I Can't Listen to Gene Clark Anymore with Sharon Van Etten

Not out for a bit but these are free dl's with the preorder

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 am

Mediæval Bæbes - Adam Lay Ibounden something about this get's me totally fired up and want to dance through the woods with my tambourine and finest floral headdress.

Mediæval Bæbes - Now Springes The Spray

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 am
Totally nuts for Black Lodge. Bitter Blood: A Collection Of Archival Recordings. It's like all the good stuff from Muslimgauze to, Woo, Tarcar/F ingers, Nocturnal Emissions, Flaming Tunes, Morricone, N.Racker, Coil...all the subterranean chamber folkhorror ghostworlds united (plus a stray synthpop track).

Individual tracks are non existent online but you can listen to the whole thing here.

Ah here a single track Black Lodge - Jamais Vu

Oh swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Marissa Nadler - Blue Vapor something about this reminds me of Swans and Skin

Marissa Nadler - For My Crimes and a live acoustic one.

Marissa Nadler - I Can't Listen to Gene Clark Anymore with Sharon Van Etten

Not out for a bit but these are free dl's with the preorder
Doing everything in my power to resist listening to the download tracks until the LP arrives. I've somehow loved each one of her records even more than the last; really liked the more electric direction she took on Strangers and hope the theme follows through the new album.

Had a serious shudder the other day in my local shop when one of the employees recommended the preorder to a customer but failed on the sale with his totally off-base and knuckledraggertastic description of her music as "gothy hipster Lana Del Ray chick folk...but in a hot way" :fp:

Also, mindless +1 but loving that Black Lodge album, what a smorgasbord of sounds from the dark.

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:56 am

Jacco Gardner - Volva new album out in November if anyone's interested

Wendy & Bonnie - I Realized You Prime cut of West Coast psych-pop, treading just on the right side of the beautiful/cheesy line.

I've become near unhealthily obsessed with Mark Fry's 1972 acid folk masterpiece Dreaming With Alice as of late, a lot of the similar contemporary stuff Mark Fry gets lumped in with gets IMO too bogged down in sunflowers, butterflies, free love--this album has a certain sinisterness lurking in its shadows and dead space that sets it apart, a sort of proto-apocalyptic folk atmosphere:

Mark Fry - The Witch

Mark Fry - Roses for Columbus

Mark Fry - Song for Wild

Mark Fry - Dreaming With Alice, Parts I-X someone has kindly taken the time to splice all the "Dreaming with Alice" interludes together into one song, which is :-* :-* :-*

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:21 pm

nanamour wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 am

Doing everything in my power to resist listening to the download tracks until the LP arrives.
I would too but the young ones just don't care, so I've heard them.

Btw I love Wendy and Bonnie, to the sea is so beautiful.

Have you heard the later Mark Fry records, they are still worthy if not up to Alice levels.

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:40 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:21 pm
Have you heard the later Mark Fry records, they are still worthy if not up to Alice levels.
Yeah, I like them. I thought Shooting the Moon was a tad patchy, but I Lived in Trees and especially South Wind, Clear Sky are quite beautiful albums. The Live in Japan LP is worth a listen too, though maybe not quite worth $40 plus shipping from Japan.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:12 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:03 pm