Great guitar double-acts/interplay

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Great guitar double-acts/interplay

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 pm

oid wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 am
Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 am
Funny this should happen to you as the SAME THING happened with me like six months ago. I never heard of the New Year either. :mellow:

Snapped up a few of their albums. It's good stuff, but you have to be in a really mellow mood to appreciate it. :)
It turns out I had heard it, I got 'Newness Ends' yesterday and it came back to me quickly. I heard it when it first came out and had issues with the way the vocals are recorded/mixed and just forgot about them. I still very much dislike the vocals, they sound like they are just sitting on top of everything else and not in a good way. Musically it very much sounds like the logical step from 'Transaction de Novo' and I am looking forward to listening to more or what they have released.
Yeah, the vocals sit on top a lot more in The New Year’s recordings. It’s a little more pop-oriented production in general and you lose some of the dynamics and sense of natural space that some of the Bedhead stuff has.

I like them both though.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:57 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:34 pm
LYNYRD SKYNYRD.
I frequently listen to to this killer performance from Knebworth 1976. Sure, with Gaines it's technically three guitar players, but check out the interplay with Collins holding down the rhythm part and Rossington on lead: Saturday Night Special

Wayno
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:05 am

scottT wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 am

My dark horse pick is a personal favorite, not a household name. Guy Kyser and Roger Kunkel of Thin White Rope.
Yep, I'm a huge Television and Church fan, but TWR are the ultimate for me. Check out the intertwined guitars at the end of Take it Home or their cover of Some Velvet Morning...

https://youtu.be/cP7-AS-uVf8

https://youtu.be/Nco5WUb3_YQ

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 am

Long gone but not forgotten, Los Angeles' own The Autumns have had some lovely interplay moments both live and on recordings between crooning lead singer/guitarist Matthew Kelly and guitarist Frankie Koroshec.

BICYCLE (2000) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XQU57zQsc
DEATHLY LITTLE DREAMS (2004) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA5jD9jPkEQ
CLEM (2007) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6L4moBhwM
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 am

Patrick Flegel and Chris Reimer of Women wrote some of my favorite guitar songs. Super influential for me.

Eyesore
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmwy_ZU6zQ

Heat Distraction
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1eHJOpe8Y

Venice Lockjaw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzQSYyAYI0

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm

Malcolm and Angus.....

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Wayno wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:05 am
Yep, I'm a huge Television and Church fan, but TWR are the ultimate for me. Check out the intertwined guitars at the end of Take it Home or their cover of Some Velvet Morning...

https://youtu.be/cP7-AS-uVf8

https://youtu.be/Nco5WUb3_YQ
Good picks! One of my "great moments in concert history" was hearing their cover of Some Velvet Morning for the very first time as their opening number at a club in '89.

Their feedback-fueled twin guitar freak outs make for the best extended outros I've ever heard.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:53 am

Sparklehorse- See The Light
Maybe multitracked as opposed to two actual guitarists, but totally gorgeous anyway, the way the second arpeggiating guitar comes in for the chorus. :-* :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

Wayno
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:13 am

scottT wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 pm
Good picks! One of my "great moments in concert history" was hearing their cover of Some Velvet Morning for the very first time as their opening number at a club in '89.

Their feedback-fueled twin guitar freak outs make for the best extended outros I've ever heard.
Very jealous! They never made it to Australia... Agreed on those freakouts, some of them are totally apocalyptic (It's OK, etc)!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 am

scottT wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:10 pm

Aye I saw them a few times too, they seem to inhabit a lot of ground I am anathema to (increasingly so) and I find myself wincing through most leado ;) guitar but somehow they got under my barbed wire. They are also something of an evolutionary dead end, there's not much like TWR out there.

It's an obscure track given away on a Sounds cover seven inch with Killdozer and 55 miles by The Perfect Disaster which is also a nice two pronged guitar attack (but probably best seen on B52)but I lose my head every time I hear the squalling outro solo bit to Munich Eunich.

However if you don't know it you might enjoy Blood and Thunder by Ultra Vivid Scene which floppy fringed wan big city vocals aside is certainly in the same county as TWR. Medicating Angels on the same elpee is a bit of a geetar fest too.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:34 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:34 pm
LYNYRD SKYNYRD.

AND THE OUTLAWS.

Summers/Fripp. Music for musicians, for sure, but pretty great interplay.
Skynyrd was the first band that got me listening to guitar music. Loved them when I was like 12-14. As I got older into my late teens I eventually became very appalled by them. I felt like everyone around me who listened to their music was either old and out of touch or a far right red neck.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I hear this gem:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usulbsg2e5g

Brought me to a place where I remembered why they hooked me into guitar. This band was wonderfully talented. The guitars were always on point. At the end of the day, music is music. I can now admit they were an exceptional band again.

Unfortunately, after the plane crash his brother took the band over. It should have stopped right there. I feel like they probably went out at the apex of their career. Anything after the crash only tarnished the name. I am comfortable with liking the original band again. The context in which they exist now couldn't be more different than what they started as. Was just magic in the bottle at one point in time.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 am

My dad was born in the Muscle Shoals area, so I grew up listening to Skynyrd in the garage hanging out with him, along with plenty of Allman Brothers and The Outlaws as well. My dad's more of a country guy, but he always had the good stuff from classic rock on when he rocked out.

One thing I always liked about Skynyrd, is how they were musicians first. Both Allan (Allen?) and Gary took solos, as well as the pianist, and no one instrumental overtook the other very much. It was definitely about playing together as a group, than one person getting the spotlight. I feel the same for the Allman Brothers as well: fantastic multi-guitar work where the songs are multiple guitars written to be played together.

For me, it doesn't get a lot better than the Jailbreak era of Thin Lizzy: the 2 minute "dueling guitar" style solo from Emerald is just outstanding. You can tell when one or the other is playing, and the guys are not only tastefully shredding, but they're changing effects too. You can hear a phaser (which in 1976 I can only assume is either an MXR Phase 90 or a Mutron phaser) at a couple spots there.

Small Thin Lizzy addendum: though I love the Scott Gorham era, nothing quite beats Eric Bell's wah-infused solo from The Rocker. It had this soul to it, and that epic wah tone, that was almost Hendrix-like.

Some of the guitar work from Casey and Rob from The Dear Hunter is amazing like that. I say "some" because even though everything they do is amazing, they don't put guitar front and center for every song, which I really like. They play like old-school "guitar is an accompaniment instrument" mindset, which is amazing in this day and age.

Both guitarists from each of the bands Brand New, Thrice, and Minus The Bear all do killer interplay stuff too!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:26 am

Murry and Smith

James and Kirk/Dave

Stanley and Frehley

Bass players from Neds Atomic

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:20 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 am
MT wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm
If you get a chance to see The Church play with the current lineup, definitely do so. Ian Haug is an excellent replacement for MWP and the band are playing as well as I’ve seen them play. Steve quitting hard drugs certainly helped.
Yeah, I'm hoping to get to the Brisbane Starfish gig - I tried to buy tickets a few days ago and the venue won't take credit cards from overseas. I'll be in Brisbane in a couple of days so I'll try again then.

I am slightly wary of Haug tbh - the new stuff does sound really good and he probably is the best fit available given his background e.g. Far Out Corporation with McLennan etc. The 12-string Crockenbacker is a definite win.

BUT to me the Church has always been Kilbey/Willson-Piper/Koppes - when MWP left temporarily way back when, Kilbey & Koppes recorded as the Refo:mation and if this was billed as Refo:mation 2.0 it would sit a lot better with me. (I know that doesn't necessarily make financial sense.)
i've been on the fence about this -- invested over decades in the platonic ideal of the classic Church lineup, reluctantly receptive to change. to Haug's credit, he's responsible for the first real crowd-pleaser they've produced in eons, "Miami," so he apparently has become integral to their songwriting. and i was surprised by the ambition and high quality of the first post-MWP album, Further/Deeper, although the most recent record is kind of frustrating at points.

that said, their current live act is outstanding -- i've seen them four times post-MWP, and the show last year was among the best i've ever seen. so yes, i'll be there for at least one of the upcoming Starfish shows in Seattle. probably both, sigh :fp: :whistle:
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 pm

dc wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:20 am
that said, their current live act is outstanding -- i've seen them four times post-MWP, and the show last year was among the best i've ever seen. so yes, i'll be there for at least one of the upcoming Starfish shows in Seattle. probably both, sigh :fp: :whistle:
I felt just the opposite. And we were at the same Triple Door show! It was like Koppes and a mini-Koppes and I didn't enjoy it at all. Marty's sparse effects were such an excellent counterpoint to Pete's mission control. When Kilbey puts down the bass, a shiver runs down my spine, because he's going into gesticulation mode. Tim Powles saved them, but he killed them too. Way too busy a drummer. They will always be one of my top 3 bands of ALL TIME, but I'm pretty much through.