Chorus - Vibrato - Leslie Pedal

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Chorus - Vibrato - Leslie Pedal

Post by Rasalrew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 am

calling all suggestions!

I currently have a Chase Bliss wrapped Vynyl that’s cool, but adds far to much color, and frankly is a little to complicated for what I think I might want. The upgrade is cool but is expensive.

I also own an option 5 rotary pedal which works well but I can’t justify having it’s own place on my board

if I can get something that packs everything into one pedal or at least chorus and vibrato into one that would cool! I’ve looked at TC electronics, Keeley, Strymon

Looking to stay away from EHX and BOSS .
Big companies, smaller companies, boutique, whatever you got! While I continue my research hit me with suggestions, pedals you love and work for you, or ones you’ve wanted to try out!

Thanks!
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chorus - Vibrato - Leslie Pedal

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am

I find a good univibe satisfies pretty much all my modulation needs. Slow phasing, fast leslie sounds. Most clones have a switch to give you pitch-modulating vibrato as well.

Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soggasaurus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 am

I like the new Danelectro Leslie sim pedal, the Big Spender (or the alternately colored Money Laundry). You can control the volume and boost it if you want and it's also got a tone knob. The ramp switch sounds nice and chorus-y on the slowest setting and really fast when it's all the way up. No depth option and the switches are a little close together, but all together it's a pretty cool little pedal.

my bloody television
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by my bloody television » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:47 pm

To scratch my leslie itch i have a Neo Instruments Mini Vent II. it's dead simple...no knobs, just a bypass switch and a fast/slow switch. If you press both switches simultaneously it "stops" the rotating speaker. One of the better if not the best leslie emulator i've used.

For my chorus/vibrato needs I use a Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus. The only thing it can't really do is super bright sparkly chorus, but I don't really yearn for that. Turn the mix knob up all the way and it does a sweet vibrato. the depth knob plus the three varying depth position switches push it from subtle chorusing to super warbly pitch bending. On some slower settings you can achieve a subtle flanging effect as well.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:53 pm

This is challenging as I believe EHX make the best Vibe/Leslie pedal on the market (The Wiggler). The only other company I've consistently like for modulation effects is MXR. Try the MXR M68 Univibe pedal or the Dunlop Rotovibe.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm with the folks in the uni-vibe camp. I've been fighting off the urge to pick up the incredible sounding Bearfoot Mint Green Mini Vibe for years now. I just don't use modulation enough to justify it though. I'd also consider to newer Dunlop Univibe or even the older big silver one. Currently still have my trusty Danelectr Chicken Salad which scratches that itch very well when i want that sound.

For chorus / vibrato my fave is an old Ross Chorus. 2-knob, very much like a CE-2 but i like the Ross better. And I know the ubiquitous Boss is much loved (I used one for years), but the Ross doesn't sound as generic to me.

Been curious about the EHX Wiggler. They seem really versatile and unique. I also LOVE the kind of vibrato sounds you can get from a Flanger (BF-2, Electric Mistress, etc....yes please.)

But one fairly inconspicuous culprit is the DOD Vibrothang. These have always seemed pretty interesting to me as they're not really directly any of these things. And they're still cheap enough used. :whistle:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Not the cheapest option, but I've been fighting GAS for a Dry Bell V2 Vibe Machine for years. I have a standalone phaser that I love, but that thing sounds incredible.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 pm

No personal experience, though they're highly-regarded on here, it seems like the Zoom MS-70CDR can do everything you want on a modest budget.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am

I have and use all the time the Fulltone vibe pedal version 3. This is the one that looks like a wah pedal. DOes a great deep chorus if you set it up that way and the vibe sound is really deep. I love that you can change the speed with the foot pedal.

I would not cork sniff on the EHX vibe pedal...if I recall it sounded really good and you can hook up a external foot controller .

Also check out the digitech Ventura vibe...if you get past the terrible paint job on it, it has some great sounds.

ALSO...(and I want to get one ) is the old MXR rotovibe.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am
I wish my mini deja-vibe had an expression input. And the useful speed range is from about 2 o'clock to 4/5 o'clock so it's a bit tricky to change on the fly. Sounds spot-on though, although I had a quick go on a Roger Mayer vibe. That had a great sound and a lot of useful extra controls to really dial it in but I think they're like £500 new or something :wacko:

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:

I would not cork sniff on the EHX vibe pedal...if I recall it sounded really good and you can hook up a external foot controller .

Mike S wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:53 pm
This is challenging as I believe EHX make the best Vibe/Leslie pedal on the market (The Wiggler).
I'll give it a look up, external attachment are always a plus. I've owned some EHX products in past with no issues. I guess some of their more recent products have left some bad references in my ear. Also from aesthetic point of view their graphics remind me of an energy drink can sometimes. I guess I could do what I did with my Pog2 and repaint the enclosure.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a busy weekend haha.
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am
budda12ax7 wrote:
I wish my mini deja-vibe had an expression input. And the useful speed range is from about 2 o'clock to 4/5 o'clock so it's a bit tricky to change on the fly. Sounds spot-on though, although I had a quick go on a Roger Mayer vibe. That had a great sound and a lot of useful extra controls to really dial it in but I think they're like £500 new or something :wacko:
I have a Mayer Voodoo Vibe, it has all mod cons, and does everything the OP asked for, but I don't recommend it much anymore because of the the cost.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 am

Rasalrew wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a busy weekend haha.
That's the challenge. The Wiggler is a tube/preamp pedal and those are rarely stocked by any store. Your best bet is an online review or video. I would suggest putting that in front of an EHX Small Clone if you want what is in my opinion, the best sounding example of both effects on the market today. At this point, the only times that I remove the Wiggler from my chain is when I swap in my English Muff'n and that's only due to the weird power source. For reference, the five settings on it emulate a Fender Deluxe Reverb (the tremolo setting), the Univox Univibe (LOOZ), Leslie Speaker (HAMM), Vox AC30 (ACEY), and Wurlitzer Electric Piano (WURL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZggtmJX ... gs=pl%2Cwn

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm
I have a Mayer Voodoo Vibe, it has all mod cons, and does everything the OP asked for, but I don't recommend it much anymore because of the the cost.
The sound is pretty amazing though!

Actually, I took my dejavibe to rehearsal last night (inspired a little bit by this thread) and it sounds much better at real volume, when the amp is compressing a bit. So many of those old school effects circuits just come alive through a valve amp wound up.

tele_pathic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tele_pathic » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 am

I just did a bunch of research looking for a great univibe pedal. I watched a lot many, many videos before settling on the Drybell Vibe Machine. I would have bought a version 1 for the right price, but I did find a version 2 for a really good price and settled on it. Got it a few weeks ago. It’s fantastic! With an expression pedal, it’s magical. It nails Jimi Hendrix, Gilmour, Trower sounds, but it also sounds great with low intensity and speed, it sounds good as just a chorus pedal.