Help me assess this neck joint - big problem or not?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mjet
Expat
Expat

Help me assess this neck joint - big problem or not?

Post by mjet » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:39 pm

I've got a lead on a Gibson Sonex at a good (like "must buy") price. Only issues are some dodgy wiring (simple enough to fix) and a crack in the neck joint (see below). (Note - Sonexes were one of Gibson's cheaper offerings in the late 70s which had bolt-on necks.)

This looks to me either like a deep finish crack in a naturally weak spot, and utterly fixable/glueable. Or no? :unsure:

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me assess this neck joint - big problem or not?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Well, the body underneath that point isn't wood, so I don't know what that is. It's not a crack in the wood.

The Sonex finish isn't really a hard gloss, either. I can't imagine what I'm looking at, truthfully. But it probably is just a crack in the finish- is that possibly a Sonex Artist or something? Those are wood and nitro, from what I understand.

Do you have more pictures?

I own a Sonex, have had one for years. I love it. I got mine for $200 so I got a great deal. The neck is super playable, great Norlin playability.

Good luck, either way. Does yours have the Velvet Brick or the Dirty Fingers pickups?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Edit: sorry, it is wood at that point. So, it could be a crack in the underlying wood under there.

https://reverb.com/item/4802077-1981-gi ... ap-buttons

But if you'll look at those pictures on that ad, you'll see what I mean, the Sonex is a wooden frame of some kind with space age polymer or whatever around it. It is "finished" but not really in the typical sense. I have never seen the black, so I can't say if it's not more of a real finish, but I don't see how the finish of my Sonex could crack in that way at all.

I don't know, but I would guess that is a crack in the underlying wood.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Of course, when you look at this one, you see that where one of the screws are, the space age polymer ("Resonwood" I now recall) has cracked in exactly the way I just said it wouldn't:

So I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I have no idea what I'm looking at.

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm

I have no idea, but a look at that screw certainly made me feel uneasy.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:56 pm

I would want to see in the neck pocket and under the plate before buying unless it is dirt cheap. The crack from the screw on its own would suggest a finish crack, that other one makes me wonder, it is not a normal path for a neck pocket finish crack. This picture is not enough to say for certain.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:11 am

Here's a shot of the neck pocket on the same one you posted - looks pretty "woody" to me.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:06 am

Right, it does at that point, but then that other crack that radiates over towards the bout goes into where I don't think that it's all wood.

So I don't really feel I can predict what exactly is cracked here, the wood, the finish, the Resonwood covering, a combination or what. I'd want to see it with the neck pulled or something.

I also don't really know what one would use to glue Resonwood. Wood is easy. Maybe Resonwood is no big deal.

I don't think this crack is all that big of a deal, either, I doubt it will spread much or present much of a problem. Sonex guitars are tough as shit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 am

Right. Surely any crack that could be slightly pulled out could have some epoxy squirted in there to keep things solid - wood or resonwood. This one is going for $300 so I might give it a shot. Thanks!

gm1cusnr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gm1cusnr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Borden's 'Resourcenol' which is an epoxy type glue - IIRC; should make a permanent workable repair which is able to be finished to Lutherie standards. It is a little finicky - needs to be clean in the join surfaces, and you should be wearing latex or equivalent latex-free gloves. Hope this helps someone in a similar situation. Respectfully, William

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:12 am

At that price you may as well just have it. Neck pocked cracks can *look* scary, but practically speaking it's not that much of a disaster

That crack can deffo be filled (though it might be worth dowelling it too...been researching this as I've just bought a cracked body and this seems to be the preferred technique)