Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:13 am

Near Future - Field This absolutely cracking collaboration between Neil Arthur of Blancmange and Jez Bernholz who is best known as Mr Gazelle Twin and her onstage collaborator (as well as making music under his own banner).

Near Future - Ideal Home in many ways this stands comparison with John Foxx recent work with Benge as the Maths.

Virginia Wing - The Second Shift new album's excellent and very much carrying on down the path from the wonderful XAM Duo collaboration album. Not much to link to and this at least has moving images.

Soundwalk Collective - L'impossible du possible pretty interesting oncept this, it's pieces build and inspired by Jean-Luc Godard's film and audio outtake archive. This track being jazzlit wee small hours downtempo (genre blast from the past there comrades). It's sadly pisstake dear as is Vinyl Factory's usual wont.

There's also a remix 12'.

Soundwalk Collective - Death Is The Enemy (Ricardo Villalobos Remix) the great man seldom goes wrong and this is predictably great.

HALO MAUD - Tu Sais Comme Je Suis

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 am

EL Heath - Out Of The Unknown

Have yet to stream the whole EP, but if the rest is as good as this tasty slice of bucolic psychedelia I'll be one happy malchick.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 am

Nadine Byrne - Dreaming Remembering (film which collates a few tracks) I LOVED Nadines work as part of Ectoplasm Girls and this doesn't disappoint with it spiralling haunted dreamstates.

Samuel Kerridge - Silent Notes crushing my puny shuttle craft under heavy plasma cannon fire, while my ears ring with the sound of a host of black seraphim!

Samuel Kerridge – Propagates of Desire (with vocal by Aaron Turner of Isis)

Barnett + Coloccia - Switch I put this on because somehow I know Coloccia is married to Aaron Turner. Absolutely beautiful and yet awash with skin prickling fears.

Halo Maud - Proche Proche Proche

Halo Maud - Des Bras beautiful soaring track

and a really good live version. one for gear spotters since the bass player seems to have a Les Paul Signature bass (?), something that you don't exactly see every day.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 am
EL Heath - Out Of The Unknown

Have yet to stream the whole EP, but if the rest is as good as this tasty slice of bucolic psychedelia I'll be one happy malchick.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

good that. I've bought a few things on Wayside and Woodland in the past and I'm jumping right in with that so thanks. You might like The Myth of Violet Meek by Oliver Cheerer/Dollboy/Gilroy Mere.

Btw if you missed it this is a bit of a masterwork; Dollboy - Rites and Rituals

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 am

^ ^ ^

Yes, I've heard most of Ollie Cherer's output in his various guises. I quite like him, but nothing he's done has really made me want to hit repeat as soon as it's finished.

Today I'm digging EL Heath's instrumentals, many of which I reckon would be as at home on Clay Pipe or Folklore Tapes as the likes of Cherer, McLoughlin and Tanner.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 am

The Liminanas - Dimanche (feat Bertrand Belin) this is fucking amazing and the sort of thing only the French can pull off with a Gallic shrug and a toss of fringe. Old car fans will spot the Manta mrk1 in the video.

The Liminanas - Dimanche (Laurent Garnier Remix) forget the Manta, this is one to fire up the SM for!

Vitalic – Poison Lips French disko

IMO this stolen footage video works better than the real video.

Magpahi - Shepsters in the Yessins Magpahi and the Starlings!

D

green_mario
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by green_mario » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 am

Very glued and greasy reverb sound

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Lindsey Stirling lately, and these two especially:

Lindsey Stirling - Take Flight
Lindsey Stirling Featuring Carah Faye - Where Do We Go

She's crazy talented on violin, and I love the mix of violin and electronic she does on some of her songs. And Carah Faye is my favorite singer ever.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 am

Say Lou Lou – Ana Not a patch on the likes of Julian or Maybe You but it's not bad in a sort of All Saints do a Bond theme sort of way and worth the 99p.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 am

Friendly Fires - Love Like Waves get's out dowsing rod...

:-* SUMMER BANGER! :-*

Friendly Fires - Before Your Eyes (from Friendly Fires And The Asphodells split) beautiful summer evening kosmische Balearic.

The Asphodells - Velo (from Friendly Fires And The Asphodells split) crisp motorik wonders.

Friendly Fires - Paris (Aeroplane Remix) ft. Au Revoir Simone Chic as Chanel!

Heart People - Show You (dub) kinda like a venn of HTRK and Peaking Lights

Heart People - Show You A slightly strange situation where their dubs and remixes made it to vinyl but the actual album didn't

Yello - Frautonium 'Half - Life ' (Andrew Weatherall Remix) only a few minutes of a mighty 14minute burbling techno vapour. I held off buying this for while because it was really fuckign expensive but finally a shop either saw sense or couldn't sell it and I got it for an acceptable price.

The original is also a fantastic track; Yello - Frautonium

Sven Vath - Harlequin Plays Bells (Alter Ego Mix) Mrs S came in halfway through the Yello remix, told me it reminded her of this (well she couldn't remember the name but gave me enough to work with) and forced me to dig it out.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 am

Jon Hassell - Al Kongo Udu first new Hassell eplee in 8 years and it appears he's back with a bang. This track is my pick with it's glitchy water drum step, beautifully undercut with the classic Jon moves which gradually unspool at the seams as the track goes on.

The White Screen - Fire Girl think of venn betwixt the Cure and Crime and the City Solution...in Hebrew!

Paul Schütze & Phantom city - Blue like Petrol kinda like Japan if they'd gone the full Fourth World jazz.

Heart People - Voices (dub) think mid 80's New Order.

Space - Carry On, Turn Me On unimpeachable euro disko classic

Ultramarine - Skyclad purely because it's bleedin' obvious after the above. Every Man and Woman is A Star is a classic

As One - Shambala (Reflected by Balil*) 20 years on and still sounds like the future.

*Plaid

As One - Libran Legacy masterful stuff, on the intersection between jazz and techno

D

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 am
Jon Hassell - Al Kongo Udu first new Hassell eplee in 8 years and it appears he's back with a bang. This track is my pick with it's glitchy water drum step, beautifully undercut with the classic Jon moves which gradually unspool at the seams as the track goes on.
Man, this track is fucking killer! Have no idea who this guy is, but this sounds amazing
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

leokula wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am
shadowplay wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 am
Man, this track is fucking killer! Have no idea who this guy is, but this sounds amazing
You are in for a treat if you follow him up. I'd start with Fourth World, vol 1 Possible Music's which blew my tiny mind in 1980, it contains the classic and well loved track Delta Rain Dream. You hear his influence a lot in electronic music circles and in more unexpected places like the last HTRK album.

I'd also say that if this whets your appetite for Fourth World music have a look at Miracle Steps (Music From The Fourth World 1983 - 2017) which will give you lots of avenues to run down.

D

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 am

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am
You are in for a treat if you follow him up. I'd start with Fourth World, vol 1 Possible Music's which blew my tiny mind in 1980, it contains the classic and well loved track Delta Rain Dream. You hear his influence a lot in electronic music circles and in more unexpected places like the last HTRK album.

I'd also say that if this whets your appetite for Fourth World music have a look at Miracle Steps (Music From The Fourth World 1983 - 2017) which will give you lots of avenues to run down.

D
Listening now to Delta Rain Dream... man this is the stuff of dreams (literally LOL). I'm definitely going to check a lot more on this, this is the sound. Can definitely hear how it influenced so many other artists.

Thank you, sir, I'm in for a ride.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm