When to Let Go/to Keep?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: When to Let Go/to Keep?

Post by Embenny » Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am

^^That's awesome.

And woodwinds are a funny lot. They're made of wood, except when they're not. And they all have reeds, except when they don't. And then there's the fucking flute, which has neither wood nor reed.

How do you get two flautists to stop playing out of tune? Shoot one.

Played clarinet, alto sax and bassoon for years, so of course we all ragged on the flautists, like for how they're called flautists. I mean, come on.

Orchestras basically are designed to promote cliques.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm

The only problem is that the kids wants instruments, and my gear purchasing has taken a very real turn. I got him a flute for Christmas, I found one on Goodwill for like $20. It's a real flute and all that.

But then he wanted a piccolo for his birthday, and it turns out that piccolos are expensive and I could not find one at the budget. I will, but I just couldn't come off a lot of money for something that he'll largely use to club his brother with.

And then I offered him to take a Suzuki violin class with me, and he said, no, I want a timpani.

A timpani! I don't even know where to buy that.

But, I always promised myself that if they were at all serious about learning a musical instrument I would not let money be an issue, even if I had to sell a guitar or whatever to pay for it. And I also told myself that I would make sure to provide them with the best quality instruments that I could get, you know, a lot of parents by awful instruments and we all know those are a dead end.

But I had not foreseen a demand for a timpani. I bought him a cowbell, which has certainly been a mixed bag, I sort of thought that would eliminate the need for timpani for a while.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah, it might be a challenge if his musical whims are changing that fast. Especially since the cheapest set of used timpanis I've ever seen was still like $1,000, and you only get two notes...

Maybe it's time to introduce him to the wonderful world of sampling? With a relatively inexpensive set of trigger pads, you could get timpanis and a variety of other percussion instruments going. I mean, there's probably only so many times a child can play the timpani part to the Overture of 1812 before it wears thin for them, and I'm not sure I'd invest $1,000 into that.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm

As cool as orchestral instruments are, they are usually at least one of the following: 1 trick ponies, difficult to learn/play (and you can't just teach yourself), high maintenance, or horrendously expensive (for what you get) & hard to find. Hence why I don't even bother with classical or big band music, and I stick to the modern instruments. Taking nothing away from how great a flute, harp or cello sounds - but electric guitars, digital keyboards & drum kits are slightly cooler (at worst) and so much easier to deal with! No need to learn & own (or borrow)10 different instruments to get so many cool sounds

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!!!

I ALWAYS regret everything I sell or give away. Even if I hardly use something, I'd rather keep it than to sell it and regret it later.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 am

Futuron wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 pm
I ALWAYS regret everything I sell or give away. Even if I hardly use something, I'd rather keep it than to sell it and regret it later.
I am quite different. I don't miss my old gear. I trust myself and the decision I make at the time. I did buy back a guitar I sold, only to sell it a couple of years later-- that sort of ended all of my 'seller's regret' feelings for good. Admittedly I have/had a history of buying thing on whims. I never go to a store six times to play the same guitar or amp before I decide to pull the trigger.

If I am hardly using something I feel like it makes the world a better place if I move it on so that someone else can hopefully use it. I suppose nine times out of ten it will just go into some other gear hoarder's basement, but we all have our little noble fantasies.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am

At one time I had about 12 guitars and decided it was too many, so I sold a bunch. And then later I regretted letting them go, so I bought a couple back. But then they're not in as good condition, and they're not as great as I remembered, so it sucks. Now I just plan on keeping everything I buy, only buying what I really want and can afford, and not worrying about the rest too much.

Some people enjoy constantly buying/selling/trading and trying different stuff, it's like a hobby in itself.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 am

Hard to know. I've had guitars I thought I was more than done with, that I found myself missing sorely not long after, sometimes even getting to play them again and remember why I loved them.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.