Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

Not a record but 100% relevant to this thread since it's a bit of a background and influences cheat sheet for neophytes and seasoned travellers alike. I've already pointed my dowsing rod at the preorder.

The A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields book

A Year In The Country is a set of year-long journeys through spectral fields; cyclical explorations of an otherly pastoralism, the outer reaches of folk culture and the spectres of hauntology. It is a wandering amongst subculture that draws from the undergrowth of the land.

As a project, it has included a website featuring writing, artwork and music which stems from that otherly pastoral/spectral hauntological intertwining, alongside a growing catalogue of album releases.

In keeping with the number of weeks in a year, the book is split into 52 chapters which draw together revised writings from the project alongside new journeyings. Connecting layered and, at times, semi-hidden cultural pathways and signposts, it journeys from acid folk to edgelands via electronic music innovators, folkloric film and photography, dreams of lost futures and misremembered televisual tales and transmissions.

It includes considerations of the work of writers including Rob Young, John Wyndham, Richard Mabey and Mark Fisher, musicians and groups The Owl Service, Jane Weaver, Shirley Collins, Broadcast, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, Virginia Astley and Kate Bush, the artists Edward Chell, Jeremy Deller and Barbara Jones and the record labels Trunk, Folk Police, Ghost Box and Finders Keepers.

The book also explores television and film including Quatermass, The Moon and the Sledgehammer, Phase IV, Beyond the Black Rainbow, The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water, Bagpuss, Travelling for a Living, The Duke of Burgundy, Sapphire & Steel, General Orders No. 9, Gone to Earth, The Changes, Children of the Stones, Sleep Furiously and The Wicker Man.

The book has been designed/typeset by Ian Lowey of Bopcap Book Services and edited by Suzy Prince, who are the co-authors of The Graphic Art of The Underground - A Counter-Cultural History.

Book Chapter List:

1. Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain’s Visionary Music: Folk Vs Pop, Less Harvested Cultural Landscapes and Acts of
Enclosure, Old and New

2. Gather in the Mushrooms: Early Signposts and Underground Acid Folk Explorations

3. Hauntology: Places Where Society Goes to Dream, the Defining and Deletion of Spectres and the Making of an Ungenre

4. Cuckoos in the Same Nest: Hauntological and Otherly Folk Confluences and Intertwinings

5. Ghost Box Records: Parallel Worlds, Conjuring Spectral Memories, Magic Old and New and Slipstream Trips to the
Panda Pops Disco

6. Folk Horror Roots: From But a Few Seedlings Did a Great Forest Grow

7. 1973: A Time of Schism and a Dybbuk’s Dozen of Fractures

8. Broadcast: Recalibration, Constellation and Exploratory Pop

9. Tales From The Black Meadow, The Book of the Lost and The Equestrian Vortex: The Imagined Spaces of Imaginary Soundtracks

10. The Wicker Man: Notes on a Cultural Behemoth

11. Robin Redbreast, The Ash Tree, Sky, The Changes, Penda’s Fen Red Shift and The Owl Service: Wanderings Through Spectral Television Landscapes

12. A Bear’s Ghosts: Soviet Dreams and Lost Futures

13. From “Two Tribes” to War Games: The Ascendancy of Apocalyptic Popular Culture

14. Christopher Priest’s A Dream of Wessex: Twentieth Century Slipstream Echoes

15. Sapphire & Steel and Ghosts in the Machine: Nowhere, Forever and Lost Spaces within Cultural Circuitry

16. Kill List, Puffball, In the Dark Half and Butter on the Latch: Folk Horror Descendants by Way of the Kitchen Sink

17. The Quietened Bunker, Waiting For The End of the World, Subterranea Britannica, Bunker Archaeology and The Delaware Road: Ghosts, Havens and Curious Repurposings Beneath Our Feet

18. From The Unofficial Countryside to Soft Estate: Edgeland Documents, Memories and Explorations

19. The Ballad of Shirley Collins and Pastoral Noir: Tales and Intertwinings from Hidden Furrows

20. “Savage Party” and Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased): Glimpses of Albion in the Overgrowth

21. Uncommonly British Days Out and the Following of Ghosts: File under Psychogeographic/Hauntological Stocking Fillers

22. Gone to Earth: Earlier Traces of an Otherly Albion

23. Queens of Evil, Tam Lin and The Touchables: High Fashion Transitional Psych Folk Horror, Pastoral Fantasy and Dreamlike Isolation

24. Luke Haines: Our Most Non-Hauntological Hauntologist

25. Tim Hart, Maddy Prior and “The Dalesman’s Litany”: A Yearning for Imaginative Idylls and a Counterpart to Tales of Hellish Mills

26. Katalina Varga, Berberian Sound Studio and The Duke of Burgundy : Arthouse Evolution and Crossing the Thresholds of the Hinterland Worlds of Peter Strickland

27. General Orders No. 9 and By Our Selves: Cinematic Pastoral Experimentalism

28. No Blade of Grass and Z.P.G.: A Curious Dystopian Mini-Genre

29. The Midwich Cuckoos and The Day of the Triffids: John Wyndham, Dystopian Tales, Celluloid Cuckoos and the Village as Anything But Idyll

30. Folk Archive and Unsophisticated Arts: Documenting the Overlooked and Unregulated

31. Folkloric Photography: A Lineage of Wanderings, Documentings and Imaginings

32. Poles and Pylons and The Telegraph Appreciation Society: A Continuum of Accidental Art

33. Symptoms and Images: Hauntological Begetters, the Uneasy Landscape and Gothic Bucolia

34. The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water: Public Information Films and Lost Municipal Paternalisms

35. Magpahi, Paper Dollhouse and The Eccentronic Research Council: Finders Keepers/Bird Records Nestings and Considerations of Modern Day Magic

36. Vashti Bunyan: From Here to Before: Whispering Fairy Stories until They are Real

37. The Owl Service, Anne Briggs, The Watersons, Lutine and Audrey Copard: Folk Revisiters, Revivalists and Reinterpreters

38. The Seasons, Jonny Trunk, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and Howlround: A Yearning for Library Music, Experiments in Educational Music and Tape Loop Tributes

39. An Old Soul Returns: The Worlds and Interweavings of Kate Bush

40. The Stone Tape, Quatermass, The Road and The Twilight Language of Nigel Kneale: Unearthing Tales from Buried Ancient Pasts

41 Folklore Tapes and the Wyrd Britannia Festival: Journeying to Hidden Corners of the Land/the Ferrous Reels and Explorations of an Arcane Research Project

42. Skeletons: Pastoral Preternatural Fiction and a World, Time and Place of its Own Imagining

43. Field Trip-England: Jean Ritchie, George Pickow and Recordings from the End of an Era

44. Noah’s Castle: A Slightly Overlooked Artifact and Teatime Dystopias

45. Jane Weaver Septième Soeur and The Fallen by Watch Bird: Non-Populist Pop and Cosmic Aquatic Folklore

46. Detectorists, Bagpuss, The Wombles and The Good Life: Views from a Gentler Landscape

47. Weirdlore, Folk Police Recordings, Sproatly Smith and Seasons They Change: Notes From the Folk Underground, Legendary Lost Focal Points and Privately Pressed Folk

48. The Moon and The Sledgehammer and Sleep Furiously: Visions of Parallel and Fading Lives

49. From Gardens Where We Feel Secure, Wintersongs, Pilgrim Chants & Pastoral Trails: Lullabies for the Land and Gently Darkened Undercurrents

50. Strawberry Fields and Wreckers: The Countryside and Coastal Hinterland as Emotional Edgeland

51. Zardoz, Phase IV and Beyond the Black Rainbow: Seeking the Future in Secret Rooms from the Past and Psychedelic Cinematic Corners

52. Winstanley, A Field in England and The English Civil War Part II: Reflections on Turning Points and Moments When Anything Could Happen less

The host website A Year In the Country is superb anyway if you don't want to shell out

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am
I must be living a charmed life as I haven't encountered any problems with the Clay Pipe site. Glad to hear you got your pre-order in the end.
I think it probably has to do with me being in the USofA and the complex mechanisms of ISPs or something. While sometimes it's a hassle, I've also gotten a couple of duplicate order shipments from Ghost Box, so I have that going for me. :shifty:

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:55 am
I must be living a charmed life as I haven't encountered any problems with the Clay Pipe site. Glad to hear you got your pre-order in the end.
I think it probably has to do with me being in the USofA and the complex mechanisms of ISPs or something. While sometimes it's a hassle, I've also gotten a couple of duplicate order shipments from Ghost Box, so I have that going for me. :shifty:
Other folk had the same trouble, she was asking for folk to contact her if they couldn't get in.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am
Other folk had the same trouble, she was asking for folk to contact her if they couldn't get in.
I did just that, via a tweet. :-[ Which was acknowledged. :)

In 2016 I contacted Matt Sewell via twitter, and he sorted out a somewhat similar issue on his website that couldn't process international orders. 8)

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:43 am

Stop it, please! I just don't have the disposable income to keep up with this thread.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 am

Also, in the archival spirit, this pocket-sized guide might be of interest to denizens of this thread with an interest in what lies ahent yon auld fell dyke.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 am

I'm in three minds about putting it in here, it is the perfect soundtrack to sinister modular goings on in the English countryside and will surely appeal to fans of The Advisory Circle and Pye Corner Audio however...it's by Chris Carter and he's ur, he's sui generis and he's been in one of my few favourite groups for most of my life.

I decided to stick something about it in here after reading the following which sets out his stall well and the packaging which references text books, brutalist planning applications and library record sleeves is en pointe and relevant.
Speaking about the project, Carter said: “If there’s an influence on the album, it’s definitely ‘60s radiophonic. Over the last few years I’ve also been listening to old English folk music, almost like a guilty pleasure, and so some tracks on the album hark back to an almost ingrained DNA we have for those kinds of melodies. They’re not dissimilar to nursery rhymes in some ways.”

Carter said the presence of skewed voices on the album offered a human element. He added: “Sleazy and I had worked together on ways of developing a sort of artificial singing using software and hardware. This was me trying to take it a step further.”

According to a spokeswoman, CCCL Volume 1 is “populated with insistent melodic patterns and a distinct sense of wonderment at the limitless possibilities of science”.
Chris Carter - Chemistry Lessons Volume 1

Chris Carter - Blissters I near lost my mind in love for this

Chris Carter - Small Moon i thought this might be some reference to Small Moon and old Chris Carter album but I don't think it is, that one being more discombobulated glitch

Chris Carter - Cernubicua

out tomorrow...all the best Catholic Churches will be using it to soundtrack Stations of The Cross.

D

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Wow, that Chris Carter is awesome. Never got much into Throbbing Gristle, but I've dug quite a bit of Chris & Cosey over the years. Going to have to pick this up for sure.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Btw if anyone I saw hesitating about buying the A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields book, hesitant no longer our copies came today and I must say they exceeded our expectations. Truly a superb book and possibly a real boon and quick catch up for anyone either not from the UK air too young for s lot of the references that infest this area of music.

:-*

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:33 am

OK this doesn't really go in here...but it kinda does if we're extending this to the likes of Michael Tanner and starting a separate thread is a waste of time. Not so much retrofuturist as cryptomedieval. Anyway, I really like it (and two other records are currently incoming) and any other wyrd folk enthusiasts with a taste for Tanner and the likes of Stone Breath or The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus will be into it.

Trappist Afterland - Se​(​VII​)​en

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 am

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

I just bought their entire catalogue on Bandcamp, and then they added that a couple of days later.

I can't really complain .. it's remarkable how cheap they are able to offer their stuff.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:27 am

Concreteism - For Concrete And Country is just out. i saw this guy play the Delaware Road concerts at Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker and really enjoyed his set. I'd file him alongside BOC*, The Heartwood Institute, Pye Corner Audio and The Advisory Circle, though in a more maximal way. Interestingly it has a sleeve by Richard Littler (sad to see Scarfolk seemingly on hiatus).

the record is thematically an exploration of Britain's past preparations for nuclear attack.

Only one song to stream; Black Special and it comes in a couple of colour options if that's important to you.

It's on Castles in Space which put out the Black Channels tape and Akiha Den Den records.

D

*one of the other records I have by him 'Town Planning' is WAY more down this path

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 am

The Hardy Tree has a new digital album out.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:23 am
The Hardy Tree has a new digital album out.
It's been out a wee while as one 77 minute long track on CD which I picked up (still available as a poster edition) . I've tasked a somewhat unwilling London based teenager with making sure either she or her father get me the tape at the label market on Saturday.

D