spring reverb tweaks?

Make it loud here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

spring reverb tweaks?

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am

This seems like more of an amp topic than an effects topic, but feel free to move.

I know reverb tanks (especially in combos) are subject to vibrations that can affect the sound. Often tanks are placed in bags, on cardboard, etc... to isolate them. Has anyone gotten tweakier with this in the way of adding Dynamat or other dampening material to the metal chassis/under the tank?

How about cables? The RCA cables that come stock with most amps look pretty crappy and not well shielded. Any improvements in going with an "upgrade" cable here?

Finally, I don't know much about amp circuitry and I'm sure here is some amount of high pass filtering on the send to the reverb tank, but has anyone played with using an in-line high pass filter like a Harrison Labs FMOD?

Anybody have another tweak not mentioned here?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: spring reverb tweaks?

Post by StevenO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am

Sorbethane "Isolate It!" Hemisphere feet are supposed to be good for isolating tanks. I haven't tried them myself, personally, but give them a whirl! If they don't work, put them under your turntable (they might mark up a wood cabinet, though, so be careful).

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 am

indeed, isolation techniques. of course, Dick Dale somewhat famously suspended his outboard tank with a rope hanging from the stage rigging.

in combo amps, i have experimented with vertical and horizontal mounting of the tank. in one amp in particular, the reverb was a bit too wild. i ended up moving the tank to the side of the cabinet, yeah - vertical! - and it was much more to my liking. on another amp (Princeton Reverb II) it was the exact opposite!

i had a super-touchy tank in an old Ampeg, i believe... ended up putting Grolsch beer bottle gaskets under the mounting screws. it's one of my best sounding reverbs... it will still feedback sometimes, but much better and i'm not gonna ruin the sound by tweaking it more.

my Fender '63 Reverb unit reissue (90's) had a high-pass filter cap in the circuit - whatever they used was too radical for me (ended up too thin), so i replaced it, or maybe even bypassed it completely, i don't quite recall. but yeah, that and playing with different reverb driver tubes got me to a happier place. so, you could certainly do the reverse, as you mentioned. but i don't know if the device you mentioned would operate at the correct impedance, voltage, etc. amp reverb circuits are kind of their own breed. most likely you would just tweak a component or two in the existing circuit.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 am

The reverb on my Vibrolux was feeding back at modest gig volumes so I"m gonna have to try some of the ideas people have posted here!

doctorock78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doctorock78 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm

We are a finicky bunch, and it's a good thing! Lots to learn and great sounds to be had as a result. I have a 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket 2 that has amazing reverb, but is a little too trebly especially when hitting high notes (these high harmonic overtones come out and icepick ya)... I wonder if there is a simple cap value change that would shave some of that off (without reducing the overall quality of the verbbb)