Jess Loureiro Bridge

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jess Loureiro Bridge

Post by Supa-Stang » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 pm

I had a look around and couldn’t see anyone had started a thread or mentioned this but feel free to delete and point me in the direction of another thread.

There’s a thread on his pickups but I came across this this evening whilst looking for thimbles for my Mustang project...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3078342015

It looks like a tele meets stay trem design and is very interesting and cool. It also has a reasonable price. Anyone tried this bridge?

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jess Loureiro Bridge

Post by mizbiz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... er+saddles

and

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59384&p=860575

Also, there was another post where his bridges first starting showing up on ebay and everyone was noting that it was a modification of a bridge that was outlined here before (see above links) Peeps were ragging pretty hard on the design too if I remember correctly... but I can't seem to find that thread right now.

As for the reasonable price part, I'd have to disagree. He charges you $75.82 for his bridge. You can buy a bridge on ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Guitar- ... Swu4BV4U6B for $8.10 and telecaster compensated saddles on ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAISH-Vintage- ... SwmNxaVd3w for $11.30... So basically, your paying him $56 bucks to drill 3 holes.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:46 pm

mizbiz wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm
Also, there was another post where his bridges first starting showing up on ebay and everyone was noting that it was a modification of a bridge that was outlined here before (see above links). Peeps were ragging pretty hard on the design too if I remember correctly... but I can't seem to find that thread right now.
Found it!:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106591&hilit=acoustic+intonation

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm

SHit, $75? You can get a StayTrem for only a little more than that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 pm
SHit, $75? You can get a StayTrem for only a little more than that.
Yup... completely agree with that sentiment! I feel like quite a few people have already been suckered and swindled. :fp:

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Those extra friction points for the strings don't look like such a good idea...A bit like a buzzstop, but worse...
As we'd say up North, he's taking the Mickey, especially at this price, when it's quite clear he has assembled a few Chinese parts.

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 pm

epizootics wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 pm
Those extra friction points for the strings don't look like such a good idea...A bit like a buzzstop, but worse...
As we'd say up North, he's taking the Mickey, especially at this price, when it's quite clear he has assembled a few Chinese parts.
Yeah they are the nasty, cheapo intonated saddles. I'm thinking of experimenting with this (have been since it was first posted on here years ago ;) ) but I would use Rutters saddles as they work great with a Bigsby so should have less friction. Also amazing intonation.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Well, if you're going in this direction, it is worth it making your own compensated saddles. The trick I found is to use square stock instead of round. Most hardware stores carry square aluminum rods with a centerline on its sides. The groove is only 0.2mm deep on the ones I use and they disappear quickly with a bit of filing. The advantage of square vs. round rods is that you don't need as much fancy equipment to drill it as you would for round, ie. a V-block and centering gizmos. Just measure one of your perfectly intonated guitars, report the distance between each pair of saddles and report it on your new saddles, then file away. Brass and aluminium are easy to work with, being quite soft as far as metals go (even though Al tends to gum up regular files - you'll have to brush them regularly).

I've used nothing but my own saddles for the past year or so, and I'm not buying pre-made ones again. The first ones took me half a day to make, but now I can have a full set done in a couple of hours. Intonation is perfect and I can use whichever metal, height and screw size I want. Here's a picture of a set during the process -

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:11 am

Wow, super cool!

epizootics wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 pm
Well, if you're going in this direction, it is worth it making your own compensated saddles. The trick I found is to use square stock instead of round. Most hardware stores carry square aluminum rods with a centerline on its sides. The groove is only 0.2mm deep on the ones I use and they disappear quickly with a bit of filing. The advantage of square vs. round rods is that you don't need as much fancy equipment to drill it as you would for round, ie. a V-block and centering gizmos. Just measure one of your perfectly intonated guitars, report the distance between each pair of saddles and report it on your new saddles, then file away. Brass and aluminium are easy to work with, being quite soft as far as metals go (even though Al tends to gum up regular files - you'll have to brush them regularly).

I've used nothing but my own saddles for the past year or so, and I'm not buying pre-made ones again. The first ones took me half a day to make, but now I can have a full set done in a couple of hours. Intonation is perfect and I can use whichever metal, height and screw size I want. Here's a picture of a set during the process -

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 am

Interesting...

I only came upon it because I was looking for thimbles to but a stay trem on.

I only had a quick look on eBay but gathered the impression he had machined it himself. Not cool if it’s just a repop. I think it’s closer to 45 pound sterling, but agree that doesn’t seem such great value if it’s a reassembling of old parts.

Glad I raised it.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am

I don't think anyone could machine the whole bridge or get it machined with quality materials and sell it for £45. I don't know how much of a margin Staytrem make with they bridges but I'd say their prices is as low as the retail price can get for this kind of product, keeping in mind they have a decently-sized production. Plus Loureiro's bridge base looks exactly like any other unit available on eBay. Why would anyone make the bridge look completely generic if they went through the trouble of building it? Especially looking at how well the distinctive looks of both Staytrem & Mastery worked for them.

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am
I don't think anyone could machine the whole bridge or get it machined with quality materials and sell it for £45. I don't know how much of a margin Staytrem make with they bridges but I'd say their prices is as low as the retail price can get for this kind of product, keeping in mind they have a decently-sized production. Plus Loureiro's bridge base looks exactly like any other unit available on eBay. Why would anyone make the bridge look completely generic if they went through the trouble of building it? Especially looking at how well the distinctive looks of both Staytrem & Mastery worked for them.
Fair point but I guess the criticism from most about the Mastery is how it doesn’t look that great (subjective) or isn’t ‘vintage’ looking. Having a standard bridge but with tele style saddles is cool and gives people something kinda vintage looking, but also different with the sound of brass which lots of people (including me) seem to like. My issue is from what I looked over at his advert is that it’s passed off as his own design/creation and he makes a big deal about stuff being handmade.

I’d heard nice things about his pickups (but that he sometimes disappears from contact) too but I’ll probably stay clear of his products in light of this thread. Although that being said I’m almost tempted to order it and just post a review here to clear it up.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

Supa-Stang wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am
I’d heard nice things about his pickups (but that he sometimes disappears from contact) too but I’ll probably stay clear of his products in light of this thread. Although that being said I’m almost tempted to order it and just post a review here to clear it up.
You mean you willingly want to be ripped off? :o

Supa-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Supa-Stang » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:28 am

mizbiz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am
Supa-Stang wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 am
You mean you willingly want to be ripped off? :o
Should have used the sarcasm font.. :D

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 am

Doh!... foiled by sneaky sarcasm once again! ;D