JMJM Body Replacement

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
green_mario
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

JMJM Body Replacement

Post by green_mario » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Soooo, hear me out. I have a squier JMJM with a bunch of upgrades: staytrem bridge, AVRI tremolo, Antiquity II pickups, matching headstock. I'd like to replace the body with a jazzmaster body that has (a) the tremolo in the traditional location and (b) a nitro finish that will age over time with use, but is NOT "road worn" or pre-worn upon purchase, and (c) is lighter, if possible.

Regardless of how practical this is from a money/future value standpoint, is this do-able? Will I be able to salvage all the current parts for the new body? Biggest concern I can think of on that is thimbles, but those aren't too expensive. Where is the best place to get JM body with a nitro finish where all that stuff will fit? I hear warmoth bodies don't fit with USA Fender pick guards, and I don't think they have nitro finish options.

Any input is appreciated! I know it's a weird request.
Very glued and greasy reverb sound

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JMJM Body Replacement

Post by Embenny » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm

The most cost-effective nitro-finished replacement bodies I have found are from MJT. $375 for a finished body last I checked. Everything can be moved over to a new body, except your bridge (a TOM) and its thimbles wouldn't be compatible with a standard JM body. A good opportunity to switch to a proper Offset bridge, though...

That's a fair chunk of change to spend on a Squier...if you picked up a neck and dropped in those upgraded pickups and trem you'd basically have a new guitar and be able to sell the old one. I personally find nitro to make a huge difference for necks and a minor difference for bodies, since all the actual finish contact with your hands takes place on the neck. Keeping a poly neck and doubling your investment in the guitar to get a nitro body is a bit backwards from my own priorities, but to each their own.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Why pick up a new neck, though? Those mascis necks are superb. I'd cheerfully yank the neck off of an AV 65 and replace it with a mascis.

There may or may not be a financial argument against using the squier neck. Definitely not if it's being replaced with one of comparable quality and spec from elsewhere, though.
This is an excellent rectangle

green_mario
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by green_mario » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 am

Thanks for the responses
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm
Everything can be moved over to a new body, except your bridge (a TOM) and its thimbles wouldn't be compatible with a standard JM body
The bridge currently on there is a staytrem, any reason I couldn't transfer that over to the new body?

About the neck: really love the current neck, no complaints at all tbh.
Very glued and greasy reverb sound

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:21 am

green_mario wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:47 am
Thanks for the responses
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm
Everything can be moved over to a new body, except your bridge (a TOM) and its thimbles wouldn't be compatible with a standard JM body
The bridge currently on there is a staytrem, any reason I couldn't transfer that over to the new body?

About the neck: really love the current neck, no complaints at all tbh.
Did you convert your current body to regular thimbles, or is it the Staytrem Adjustomatic model?

Most standard/affordable bodies would be drilled for regular thimbles for a regular bridge.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.