I uploaded a bad synthpop track

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I uploaded a bad synthpop track

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm
I listened. First, I think the guitars are utilized well throughout, providing a good bed of noise here and there. I am more critical of this one overall though: I think it is at least one minute too long. The cool part starts around 2.00 and I feel it takes too long to get there. There is also so much going on and it seems a bit disjointed, like I cannot focus on an overall sound because suddenly something else screams for my attention. Maybe that was what you were going for -- more aggressive and messy like you described it.

Also, I suppose you saved the dramatic singing for this one! ;D Maybe it's because I do not understand, but the singing was also all over the place like the instrumentation.

tl;dr: Shorten and re-mix?
Thanks for listening!

Yeah, this one seems to get more extreme reactions compared to the last one which was a uniform 'well, that was nice.' I think one of the reasons that it sounds so disjointed was that I pushed this one out too fast, and the production and performances suffered for it.

Can you describe what you meant about the singing being all over the place though? I'm not sure if you're talking about the performance or the actual melody itself.
soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 am

The performance. Some parts the singing suddenly jumps from relatively-monotone to pretty emotional and that threw me off. Again, it could simply be because I do not understand what is being sung.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 am
The performance. Some parts the singing suddenly jumps from relatively-monotone to pretty emotional and that threw me off. Again, it could simply be because I do not understand what is being sung.
Nah, it's valid criticism! Some other people gave the same criticism as you did. I was trying to bring a sense of abruptness throughout the song for tension, but I guess it just didn't work too well for some people. The song is all over the place now that I listened to it again with fresher ears, but I think I'll just touch up some performances and the mixing/mastering. The first song I posted took me over a year to finish the damn thing, and it really didn't need to take that much. I'm just trying to release more music, without thinking too much now.

I guess some songs will suffer, but it's just much more satisfying. ;D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm

They are good

Well done

:)

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

The first song I posted took me over a year to finish the damn thing, and it really didn't need to take that much. I'm just trying to release more music, without thinking too much now.
Absolutely. The songs are of no use to anyone if they are only on your hard drive (I should say that to myself).

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Dude, I quite like your voice.

I must say that it took me longer than it probably should to realize that you're not singing in English, haha.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm

i think production value is quite good for a homerecording. maybe try a de-esser on the vocals and use some compression/tape fx on the master. maybe also think about levels (vox vs instruments / what is in the foreground etc.) and fx settings (reverb on vox vs instruments for example), but in the end: good to hear what you're about as a musician, as i only ever knew your blixa avatar, and i rather like the track.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Whiny Minotaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Whiny Minotaur » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:39 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm
They are good

Well done

:)
Thanks for listening, man! Little compliments like this are really great motivators.
mediocreplayer wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am
Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 pm

The first song I posted took me over a year to finish the damn thing, and it really didn't need to take that much. I'm just trying to release more music, without thinking too much now.
Absolutely. The songs are of no use to anyone if they are only on your hard drive (I should say that to myself).
Yeah, I have over a hundred goddamn songs on my computer, it was getting ridiculous.
InLimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm
Dude, I quite like your voice.

I must say that it took me longer than it probably should to realize that you're not singing in English, haha.
Thanks, my voice is still not as good as I think it could be (too nasally for one thing), but it's great to see that people dig it.
fuzzking wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:57 pm
i think production value is quite good for a homerecording. maybe try a de-esser on the vocals and use some compression/tape fx on the master. maybe also think about levels (vox vs instruments / what is in the foreground etc.) and fx settings (reverb on vox vs instruments for example), but in the end: good to hear what you're about as a musician, as i only ever knew your blixa avatar, and i rather like the track.
Yeah, I listened to my songs on better speakers, and the mixing is completely awful, the drums overpowering everything and my voice sounds tinny. I'm probably going to have to remix pretty much all of my songs :fp:

Blixa Bargeld is one of my musical heroes, and is a gigantic influence on me, mostly in spirit instead of actual composition though. I used to make ripoffs of early Neubauten songs when I was younger, and they were completely awful :D