Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:41 am

Peter Ulrich ‎– Taqaharu's Leaving I thought this 12' was a bit of a solitary love because I've never heard anyone mention it despite the Dead Can Dance connection but my daughter tells me Andrew Weatherall played Evocation on his NTS Radio show the other week.

Peter Ulrich - Evocation the bee is the killer on this track it gets a full five heart rating from me :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* . I had the considerable pleasure of watching my youngest's dance class do fully costumed routine to this not so long ago.

Some parents were concerned it was 'satanic' :fp: ...'truth and honesty' and tranquility obviously being the devils backbone.

The Imajinary Friends - L'Outsider I really like this and if the rest of the record was similar it would be in the retrofuturist thread quicker than you could cut your bangs but alas it isn't. :(

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 am

Gnoomes - B-Day (Ulrich Schnauss) remix today is clearly an Ulrich day...but not Lars. I nearly missed this due to it being a bloody tape.

Gnoomes - One Step makes me want to run till my lungs burst when it powers up the thruster halfway through

Sussan Deyhim and Richard Horowitz - Kye Kye (who is this) sadly not a link to be found anywhere (except on this dodgy looking page of unknown provenance) which is pretty nuts when she has the voice of a goddess and the music is incredible, sinuous as a sand dune and heavy with desert rose and cardamom.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 am

On my ongoing trawl through Sheffield's electronic music past. I can't find a link to an online version of this anywhere though!

SLBC - Requiem to the waste age

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 am

NickD wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 am
On my ongoing trawl through Sheffield's electronic music past. I can't find a link to an online version of this anywhere though!

I think I might have that, I'm not home to check and I think it was out a bargain bin but I seem to remember them sounding a wee bit like The Renegade Soundwave?

I'm going to go Sheffield too; The Anti-Group (TAGC) - Ha (Cabaret Voltaire Remix)

btw given you liking for Jazz, post punk funk and Sheffield I'd have to draw your attention to the T.A.G.C album Digitaria in case you don't already know it. For me it's an all time classic.

T.A.G.C. - Balag Anti

T.A.G.C - Ghost Culture

T.A.G.C. - Pre-Eval

T.A.G.C. - Dog Star

ahhh found the wholething;

T A G C - Digitaria (1987) (A side)

T A G C - Digitaria (1987) (B side)

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 am
NickD wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 am

I think I might have that, I'm not home to check and I think it was out a bargain bin but I seem to remember them sounding a wee bit like The Renegade Soundwave?
Kind of a mix between Renegade Soundwave and Front 242.

I know of TAGC but I haven't heard much by them. I just gave those links a quick play and they sound up my street - I'll give the full album a proper go later.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am

Gwenno - Eus Keus? this has me dancing round the studio with my sleeves pushed up like some behatted dildo in a 1980's American teen drama.
NickD wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 am

I know of TAGC but I haven't heard much by them. I just gave those links a quick play and they sound up my street - I'll give the full album a proper go later.
let me know how you get on.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 am

Angèle David-Guillou - En Mouvement (whole thing really) I always thought she had a beautiful voice but it appears she's not singing these days since she's now done two and a half albums of instrumental classical music. I'm pig ignorant with classical music so I can pretty much just compare this to The Penguin Cafe Orchestra and Philp Glass. Beautiful music to just sit quitely for a while and look at a tree to. There's a companion album of organ arrangements that just came out

and bak from when she sung and played pop music

Klima - Fluorescent Stars

Klima - French Mittens Piano magic cover

and with Piano Magic;

Piano Magic - Disaffected this has great lyrics

Piano Magic - Dark Ages Demo Klima Version (again great lyrics by Glen Johnson)

Piano Magic - Dark Ages (Vashti Bunyan vocal version) the gorgeous whippet painting on the sleeve of this was actually painted by Whyn Lewis Vashti's Daughter. I'm lucky enough to have two of Whyn's smaller paintings and an even smaller ceramic.

Bibio - You Won't Remember I often play this (and the one below)with my one of my younger kids. I sing and do the finger picked part and she does the single note stuff and harmonises. It's pretty gorgeous even with me hacking it up and Mrs S is a massive Bibio fan and not unpartial to hearing us do it so it's an all round winner

Bibio - You Won't Remember. (session)

Bibio - Dye The Water Green

Bibio - Dye The Water Green (session)

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:17 am

Pieter Nooten & Michael Brook - Several Times 1 For me this is probably the best album ever released on 4AD and if it's not it's pretty close. What's certain is that I play it more than anything they ever released and I was a super fan owning everything from the Axis days up until I started to get bored with all the American rock bands they kept signing and stopped blanket buying. This is also one of those records that seem to link all my musical soul mates, one of those 'so you love that too' records that bring us closer together and if someone who fits the profile hasn't heard it I just love sticking it on and watching them wake up to it wonder.

This track is IMO a masterpiece.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am

Heard about the LP from which this is taken on the radio today. I'm not keen on K-Law's voice, but this one's got Karine Polwart carrying it, which helps it along a hundredfold.

'Underneath The Sycamore' by Kirsty Law and Karine Polwart

Loving the Piano Magic/Klima stuff above, btw.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:51 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 am

Jim Ghedi - Fortingall Yew I've stood next to the mighty tree this track is named after soaking up it's ancientness and wondering what it's seen in the 3000 years it's lived (some say it could be 9000 years old). A mighty fingerpicked epic.

The John Mayer thread got me thinking about what makes a good guitarist, for me it's certainly not technique alone or even at all. I think it's essence is wanting to hear more of their music and that's about that, I can't be looking at guitar in isolation. When I heard Jim I wanted to hear more, of course he has technique but it's always bent in service of the tune and for me that's everything.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am
Heard about the LP from which this is taken on the radio today. I'm not keen on K-Law's voice, but this one's got Karine Polwart carrying it, which helps it along a hundredfold.

'Underneath The Sycamore' by Kirsty Law and Karine Polwart

Loving the Piano Magic/Klima stuff above, btw.
That's no bad. I was worried it might get a bit Enya or fiddle dee dee but it stayed just out of it.

Have you ever heard Lisa Knapp's Hidden Seam album. There's very little online but here's the title track; Lisa Knapp - Hidden Seam

Nice to see some Klima/Piano Magic love.

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 am

Lowtide - 'Elizabeth Tower'

Lowtide have a new album out !