Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Urinate Forever
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Green Russian Big Muff Reissue

Post by Urinate Forever » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:12 pm

RuffiansFC wrote:the ge4 isn't really a fuzz. it has a bias knob that can mimic fuzzy tones, but it's a completely different beast. it's a decent pedal that is versatile. if you are looking for a muff, this isn't the one.
It's definitely an overdrive/distortion like labeled on the unit. I wish I still had mine because it was a really interesting pedal but definitely nowhere near a fuzz.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 am

RuffiansFC wrote:the ge4 isn't really a fuzz. it has a bias knob that can mimic fuzzy tones, but it's a completely different beast. it's a decent pedal that is versatile. if you are looking for a muff, this isn't the one.
How does it compare to other Ge distortion pedals like the Distortion+ or the Dirty Rat?

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 am

Mike S wrote:
How does it compare to other Ge distortion pedals like the Distortion+ or the Dirty Rat?
the distortion plus and rats are op amp based pedals that use Ge diode clipping to create the distorted sound. the Ge Big muff is transistor based. it'll have more in common with a fuzz face than a true distortion pedal. not saying it is bad, just different.

i use a dod 250 (which is the same layout as a D+ with some differences in components) for my OD sound and a Ge fuzz face for my fuzz. together, they make a wonderful high gain in-between sound that I love.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm

RuffiansFC wrote:
Mike S wrote:
the distortion plus and rats are op amp based pedals that use Ge diode clipping to create the distorted sound. the Ge Big muff is transistor based. it'll have more in common with a fuzz face than a true distortion pedal. not saying it is bad, just different.

i use a dod 250 (which is the same layout as a D+ with some differences in components) for my OD sound and a Ge fuzz face for my fuzz. together, they make a wonderful high gain in-between sound that I love.
How does it compare to something like a Ge Fuzz Face? My Ge experience is mainly confined to clipping diodes in those two distortion pedals as well as the Tone Machine and Super-Fuzz which I'm guessing are far more insane that the transistor-based effects.

Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Anyone else digging the Russian reissue? I think it stands up to the original and newer Russian variants out there.

I’m hoping they release a Ram’s Head reissue.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am

I dug it until I realized that the Muffuletta was a better deal and traded it in. Honestly, if EHX were to release a nano version of the Triangle or Civil War, I think the sales of all of their other Big Muffs, with the possible exception of the Op Amp and Ge4, would take a significant dip.

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:45 am

I got one of these for my son for Xmas. It sounds pretty good.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 am

I have a deluxe big muff - I've found it to be a very fussy pedal into a fender twin reverb, not much better into a JC120.
I did a lot of muff-diving to find out what I liked, and it took a long time to work out the kind of fuzz that I wanted in my sound.
I still have the deluxe, but I don't use it. Sad really, because it wasn't cheap. At the time I thought I was on a no-brainer winner.
Instead, after researching all the EHX stuff, I happened upon the designer of the NYC muff, Fran Blanche, who still makes her circuit. It's called Peachfuzz.
I bought one. Sounds freakin awesome compared to the muff.
I then heard a mate who had another one of her pedals, called a cream puff. I played it, and it's just so warm and fuzzy and soft and I was sold. I had to buy it from a newfie and ship it halfway across the globe. Thanks Reverb.

Fuzz is a very personal thing. I found that what other people liked, I didn't. By that, I mean their sound was more like a heavy metal pedal, and not something with that lush germanium fuzz I enjoy.

Be careful when looking for fuzz. It's such a personal thing. Don't be talked into something. Try it first. If your store won't let you take it back then shop elsewhere, because you can fall down the wombat hole when looking for the fuzz that's right for you.

I can also straight up say that the big muff deluxe sounds way different on a JM than my other guitars. Still not a fan, sorry. It's perfect with the cream puff, a little soft with the peachfuzz. I have a friend with one of those thorpyFX fallout cloud fuzzes, who's coming over this w/e to check out the blue sparkle JM I just bought. So that will probably get a bit of airtime if he brings it with him...

ps. I also had a sovtek years ago. didn't like it much, sold it and bought a ds-1 instead, which I'm still happy with. DS1 is not a fuzz though.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chew » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 am

Fran’s pedals are great!

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Chew wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 am
Fran’s pedals are great!
The Cream Puff is absolute gold for me. Buttery smooth fuzz.

Her stuff's hard to get downunder, so I have to balance my want to try stuff with my available bank balance.

I also have her Vibutron trem pedal. That's awesome too. Great for surf sounds and spaghetti western stuff.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chew » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 pm

BlueSparkle wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:08 pm
Chew wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:14 am
Fran’s pedals are great!
The Cream Puff is absolute gold for me. Buttery smooth fuzz.

Her stuff's hard to get downunder, so I have to balance my want to try stuff with my available bank balance.

I also have her Vibutron trem pedal. That's awesome too. Great for surf sounds and spaghetti western stuff.
The Brooklyn overdrive is a big ragged full frequency overdrive. With a dark amp like a tweed fender it’s super good.

Drewbertca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drewbertca » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 am

I have the reissue as well as the Bass Bug Muff and the Ge4. The reissue is all I need for my PSVI because it sounds pretty close to what I was doing before. I used to use the OD side of the Ge4 into the Bass Big Muff on Normal mode. Sounds huge. But forbass in my band I found the Russian reissue is great on its own so Ibuilt a second pedalboard around it. Just the Russian and a tuner pedal. For guitar I'll still use my bigger board. But I just noodle at home on guitar.