Current Singers You like

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Current Singers You like

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 am

NickD wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Back on topic though.

A twofer to start off with - Rachel and Becky Unthank
Yeah Magic singers, amazing live and on record and decent people as a bonus. A lot of more beardie folkies have it in for Becky, saying she's too 'pop' but they are talking out the back of their flat cap. Some of the most moving live experiences I've had in the last ten years have been at the Unthanks. A few times back they opened with a stark, stripped back version of 'I Wish', just hurdy gurdy and voiceand it seemed impossibly ancient and modernist at the same time. Later on they were clog dancing and telling charming stories but at this moment they were tapping into the same great well of English mysticism as Coil, it was tree pulling power delivered by the merest flick of their pinkies.

If anyone hasn't heard them, here's them singing acapella in a wood.. The girl on the right is IIRC their live violinist.

Interesting choice on the fantastic Mr Foxx. John is really interesting as he's often hidden the fact that he's actually a conventionally 'good' singer, while most singers seem hellbent on constantly showing what they can do or worse still overreaching pathetically. Check his singing on Mirrorball with a Robin Guthrie.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

NickD wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 pm
Arthon wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 am
Liam Gallagher
Both serious and trolling at the same time, nicely played.
;)
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am

So I came across Agnes Oble through listening to music while drawing over the weekend.

I've been listening to her for the past couple of days now and thought I'd come to see if she was listed in this thread, and, but of course, she's referenced in the first post. Nice, shadowplay.

I really like the song Familiar, and didn't even realize that I heard it on Dark until I read today that I had actually heard it on Dark.

I had no idea she did the male voices though! That's insane.

Redstar30
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Redstar30 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Two of my choices

Travis T. Warren
https://youtu.be/vamGP-kTeyo

Chloe Chaidez
https://youtu.be/70zVSREjcOs

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 pm

InLimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am
So I came across Agnes Oble through listening to music while drawing over the weekend.

I've been listening to her for the past couple of days now and thought I'd come to see if she was listed in this thread, and, but of course, she's referenced in the first post. Nice, shadowplay.

I really like the song Familiar, and didn't even realize that I heard it on Dark until I read today that I had actually heard it on Dark.

I had no idea she did the male voices though! That's insane.
I think Citizen of Glass is such a fantastic record, of course her voice is the centrepiece but the arrangements and the sounds are exceptional.

The Quiet Village remix of Stretch your Eyes is worth seeking out. It's beautifully, sensual and heavy lidded, like a long lost track by Tricky at his very best.

There's a raft of great Nordic singers around at the moment! Jenny Hval (whose releases great albums but has also become the go to devastating cameo voice), Susanna Wallumrød and Amalie Bruun/Myrkur * all being amazing singers. I also love the Icelandic singer Emiliana Torrini, she's got a beautiful sense of phrasing.. Her recent record with Kid Koala was a great combination of really minimal music meshed with great singing.

D

*who is the subject of some of the worst misogynistic online hate I've ever seen.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 am

I just got their new and first album through the door and it got me thinking about Chloe Raunet of C.A.R, Battant and some amazing cameos. I'd have given both my nuts for a singer like Chloe when I was toiling in the synthetic post punk trenches.

This one isn't angelic of voice, it's more her attitude and full on sass. Cold sounding, a bit foreign like Gina X, occasionally coming on like a particularly displeased public announcer but sensual too. Half the time she's pretty much just talking but half the time if you sound like her....talking is more than enough. She catches you with both honey and vinegar.

Caraxes (C.A.R Redaxes) - Incognito. full on shepanther performance, lip curling, sexhey, brimming with dismissive sass.

C.A.R. - Laika

C.A.R. - Hijk

C.A.R. Idle Eyes

C.A.R. - Growing Pains

Red Axes - 5 Min (feat CAR) I mentioned Gina X earlier and by strange coincidence she's the other singer on this side of the 12' EP/pseudo mixtape. i'm not sure many singers could ride the acid rapids of this without getting in a mess.

C.A.R. - Daughters

Pinklunch (Trevor Jackson) - Inamorata - Feat C​.​A​.​R

D

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Monica Martin formely of Phox brings me to tears everytime I hear this version of "Unraveling" with Violents on NRP's Tiny Desk. Or any version of that song. Or anything she sings really.

Mattrock
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mattrock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:28 pm

I like Katy Perry, not the lyrics though, but the music quality.

DWTish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DWTish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Lalah Hathaway, Ledisi, Susan Tedeschi, Norah Jones, Ray Lamontagne, Lianne La Havas, Gillian Welch and Esperanza Spalding come to mind, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.... Lol

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

How could no one post these Singers?

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Does Current mean still singing music? :whistle:

Mark Hollis (of Talk Talk):

Does Caroline Know?

Big fan of his unique vocals, and I feel that the synth pop era of Talk Talk (1981-1985) is an underrated testament to it. Of course, the later experimental years are just as awesome.

Scott Walker:

Rawhide

Only singer in the world who could give describing cro-magnon herders any emotional gravitas.

Sean Nelson (of Harvey Danger):

I think at one point (and probably still rings true), Sean Nelson was the most intelligent and emotionally justified sounding singer in the cursed "alternative rock" pantheon of the late 90's to early 2000's.

Humility on Parade

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:56 pm

Whiny Minotaur wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:48 am
David Sylvian has an amazing voice, perhaps my most favorite voice of all time. His voice already matured beautifully during the late 80s, but somehow his voice has gotten even better in the latest tracks he has released:
I share your love of Sylvian. I think he has a song called "September" that's a short one but amazingly well performed. His voice is truly unique.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:34 am

Susanna (Wallumrød) the Norwegian singer. I've particularly liked her last two album which have been produced by Deathprod. The last one Triangle (spotify link) was all originals and ranged from eyeblacked electronic pop, to Joni Mitchell style ballads, to gloaming hypnagogic atmospherics.

The new one'Go Dig My Grave' (spitify link) is all covers ranging from traditional folk songs, to poetry arrangements, to post punk covers**, to renditions of songs so famous you'd either have to be brilliant or stupid to cover, luckily she's brilliant. There are couple of songs I wished she skipped purely because IMO the lyrics don't really suit (my impression) of her but I can't fault the actual renditions.

Deathprod produces again but this one is different it's a sort of hollowed out baroque/Appalachian spectral shanty wheeze*, creaking like a ghost ship adrift with her voice a mournful siren. Off the top of my head the cold and slighly desolate comsumptive wheeze of this album reminds me of a record I own by the Boxhead Ensemble which is the soundtack to a fim about the Aleutian islands.

If you can't see the Spotify; Go Dig My Grave (title track)

D

*the three listed instruments are baroque harp, accordion and fiddle

** she's one of two people who've I've heard covering Joy Division and not; a) shit the bed or literlaly shit the world b) done them like a crappy open mike night down the student union.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 am

InLimbo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm
How could no one post these Singers?

The company name is because he is an (ex) singer. Shoegaze to several thousand dollar custom built Porsches is an interesting career move.

They do have an amazing attention to detail, and the amount of work that goes into their cars is staggering. The merits of having to use up a 964 to do so, when it is a very nice car to start with are another argument.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:04 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 am

They do have an amazing attention to detail, and the amount of work that goes into their cars is staggering. The merits of having to use up a 964 to do so, when it is a very nice car to start with are another argument.
I agree with all of that, except I think they are a bit vulgar and over detailed for my taste and think those headlights make them look totally cockeyed. I tend to like my 911's to be wolves in sheeps clothing; demure, understated and frankly pofaced (and not all Fanny California goes to Dubai*). I guess if your pockets were deep enough they would build you a narrow body version with less shouty trousers but as yet most of them look obviously showy and even if they weren't I find the near monstertruck wheels a bit overcooked for my more Bauhaus 911 tastes.

I'm also a big 964 fan and long term owner and think they don't really need much doing to them but at the same time I'd concede that I've never driven a Singer and no doubt they are amazing but for me cars aren't really ever about outright performance but how you feel and a lot of that is the looks and the romance of the thing.
NickD wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:38 am

The company name is because he is an (ex) singer. Shoegaze to several thousand dollar custom built Porsches is an interesting career move.
I knew he was in that band but I always assumed they were named after Norbert Singer the Porsche engineer,

D

*if they were a person they'd be orange permatanned, goateed, pumped up like Mr Universe and wearing lots of horrible man jewellery.