Marr wiring/electrics?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Marr wiring/electrics?

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:30 am

I'm tempted to make my left Fender VI (as in a Fender XII, but with 6 strings and a JM/Jag Trem) close in sound to the Marr Jaguar. Still undecided on scale length. I've heard a few Marr guitars and they sound perfect for the scoring work I do. Very clean, not shrill like Jas I've had in the past.

If I was to get low output pickups wound similar, possibly by Bare Knuckle, how much do the top controls contribute to that sound? I don't play live so I can cut freq in post.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Marr wiring/electrics?

Post by hpr_hpr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:35 am

The 'top' wiring only comes into play when you switch to the rhythm circuit . . . so not at all unless you flip the switch.

Not sure what you mean about the pickups . . . BK does not seem to have a JAG pickup, their construction is similar to a Strat pickup as I understand it with the addition of the claw . . . you can buy a claw separately but I don't know if the dimensions are different as well. If you're dead set on using them talk to them first. I'm sure they know what a jaguar pickup is :) and what the can and can't do . . . as an alternative The Creamery does have jaguar pickups in their catalog . . .
Last edited by hpr_hpr on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 pm

My important internet stranger experience is that Jaguars get a lot of their magic tones out of the 24" scale.

25.5" guitars set up just like Jags don't sound like Jaguars to my ears.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 am

I think physics would indicate that the harmonic content from a vibrating string changes with the string tension even if it is tuned to the same pitch . . . just thinking about it, at a lower tension the string will bend easier out of the straight line thus potentially increasing harmonic content (each additional harmonic vibration bends the string more, draw the fundamental, then pencil in the first harmonic and see) . . . maybe someone with a more recent/extensive background in physics can back this up . . .
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".