NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Yeatzee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

Post by Yeatzee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:36 am

Good on you for getting it just how you wanted, great looking Tele with lots of mojo

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 am

So a bit of a necro thread revive here.

Here's where we are... I'm in the middle of house hunting right now with Lady Despot. I've come to accept that guitars, as much as I love them, are a lower priority than having a place with herself.

Right now I've fewer guitars than I had a few years ago, but all of them are ... well, things I thought I'd never have (in the first place), let alone part with.

There's a problem with this telecaster - and simply put it's that it's potentially worth too much.

Right now the three most expensive guitars in the stable are this, my '69 SG Custom and my '62 ES345. I'm leaving Sully out of this, because that Jazzmaster is never going on the block.

Market prices right now would put this Tele at about 6k euro. That's allowing for the various different 'issues' it had in terms of changed parts, now all sorted with the exception of the pickguard. The SG Custom is probably worth about 6k here, and the ES345 is worth somewhere between 8.5-10k euro depending on the day thanks to those lovely original PAF stickers pushing up the price over the otherwise identical Pat No stickers it could just as easily have shipped with in 1962. Thank god for gold hardware!

Let's be clear about this - I love all three of these guitars. I'm particularly smitten by the ES345 ... but it's a lot of potential cash in a guitar. If I do keep it then both the Telecaster and SG Custom are on the block (in addition to a few other guitars) ... or potentially on the block.

I always knew that I'd end up selling a load of gear as part of the house funding - doing what I've been doing, buying and selling stuff to trade up to older stuff was always a means to own some beautiful old instruments for a few years AND in the process save some cash. What I hadn't banked on was how hard it would turn out to be to whittle things down...

I've put a lot into this Telecaster - not just the replacement correct parts that I sourced, but ... time. I've played the Tele almost as much as my Jazzmaster in the last while, and it's been a loyal friend. I'm not sure right now what way I'm going to go in all this ... but one thing is certain, no nostalgia for a guitar is going to stand between me and having my own home with my other half.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

Very practical discussion here. I did a fairly large downsizing when putting funds together to buy my first house. I strategically kept things I knew I would never want to sell or would simply not be able to fund later on down the road. I'd to acquire more cool vintage stuff but thats probably not happening now that kids are in the mix. Truth it, I'm much happier having a family with a good roof over their home than another vintage guitar. I'm 100% content with the gear I do have so thats just icing on the cake.

I support your home fund 1000% percent, Kev. You seem to have your priorities in the right place and I'm sure you'll be able to get a great place and keep some killer guitars in the process.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am

Cheers Nick - thanks for that.

Up to this point I haven't been as directed towards owning my own place - for about five years there was such a constant "oh, maybe this year we all lose our jobs!" narrative that I never felt secure enough to put myself into that level of debt.

On the plus side this has allowed me to save, and ... you know ... guitars. Right now I could probably find a decent two bed apartment somewhere without the need to thin the herd. But that would be a place to live rather than a home - having finally started to think as an 'us' rather than as 'me', I want to find somewhere that will be home rather than a place to live. That means more money - and that means more sacrifice.

It's funny though, it doesn't feel like sacrifice. The end goal is something that I want more than I've ever wanted guitars or other stuff. Simply put, happiness to me used to be a guitar and an amp - now it's time spent with my other half. The idea of having that in a place of our own that we can build into our home - ours, not some place where we've to make compromises, ours - that's worth more than any old guitar. I'll also have been lucky enough to know what a vintage PAF sounds like, or why I liked later '60s SGs more than earlier ones ... or how a late '60s Telecaster has a twang that no other can replicate.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 am

I don't think you'll regret putting Guitar equity into a house in the long term Kevin. When we moved one time I sold my 1969 911S and my Citroen DS to help fund it and I've never regretted it for one second (especially as I'd made a ridiculous profit after 20 years of ownership). If anything sorting the house freed me up a bit to really get on the car thing later on, even though the move the cars helped fund ended up being a steeping stone to thee house.

Happy house hunting whatever you decide and the quicker you buy the quicker you pay it off and then you can really go nuts! :)

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am

I was in a similar position and I sold everything to buy a place, except my one main instrument that I've had for 20 years and would never part with. I used to crave stuff and loved owning it but as soon as the bigger picture became clear, it literally all turned from beautiful stuff I used to lust after into cold hard cash right before my eyes, and any sentimentality went away. You're right, it doesn't feel like a sacrifice, and you've been able to tick off on the list some good experiences with some nice stuff. Just don't turn into the office water cooler chap who goes "yeah I've had it all mate..." :P

I always vowed I would slowly get back into some nice pieces again, but in reality its never happened - ongoing repairs to the house, car dilemmas, work issues and finally a baby have put paid to that. Thing is, I'm not that bothered - its knocked my GAS on the head.

I've had to sell my amps to fund a new boiler and gas main supply, so all I have is a vintage Firebird and some nice pedals that were given to me. It feels quite liberating but I have gigs to play this year and I will need some sort of amp at some point...

What is has done is streamline my desires. I know want just two items, a 60s ES3** and a Brown Fender Super, Pro or Concert (and a reverb tank, so technically 3!). Its quite a nice feeling to have a long term goal. I would like to get to know one setup for a while and work at it, messing with tubes, speakers, pickups etc. As these pieces are incredibly expensive and out of reach for me at the minute its made me appreciate what I have and I've actually started making more music, and more interesting music too, at home - as I literally have no choice but to stop tinkering and do stuff. Its always the way.

I wish there was a way, maybe in some parallel universe, that I could afford your '62 ES345. That is my dream instrument. Do you do finance???!!!! :P

treblemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by treblemaker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

I would definitely consider selling a vintage instrument if the funds would get me closer to owning my dream home as well. My only concern would be having the time to wait for the buyer who'd pay the fair value for such high value instruments to appear. Depending on the loan terms, it might be more interesting to ask for a bigger loan initially and wait to sell the guitars for the right price and then put the money towards reducing the loan. Happy house hunting, it can be really fun!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Despot wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:32 am
Right. I'm conscious that I'm becoming a prick at this stage.

*past you holds current you's coat*

Despot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 am
Tele at about 6k euro.
The SG Custom is probably worth about 6k
the ES345 is worth somewhere between 8.5-10k euro depending on the day thanks to those lovely original PAF stickers pushing up the price over the otherwise identical Pat No stickers it could just as easily have shipped with in 1962. Thank god for gold hardware!
I don't care if I get shot down for saying this but I think the forum can do without posts about your first world problems. Sell them all, buy a house, don't buy a house, whatever, it's nothing to do with guitars.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

mgeek wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I don't care if I get shot down for saying this but I think the forum can do without posts about your first world problems. Sell them all, buy a house, don't buy a house, whatever, it's nothing to do with guitars.

I think you're being very unfair there and the forum could probably do without your snide post, especially directed at a good long term contributor.

Perhaps it's a first world problem, but it's also a real world dilemma that's he's entitled to share. I'm guessing he's wanting some peer encouragement to help take the sting away and he's also counting his blessings.

I think some folk might benefit from seeing a fellow obsessive ready to sacrifice some of his obsession in the pursuit of a home and some common sense. For me letting a couple of old cars go to help fund a move was quite a big life moment for me, I suddenly felt I had my priorities straight.

I think most of us can empathise with someone giving up something to achieve a goal, it might not be a vintage guitar but I think most people have had to set something aside either permanently or temporarily to pursue some target.

Kevin has some beautiful guitars but it looks like they never came easy and letting them go is hard and I think it's easy to empathise with him.

In the past I've read about folk getting into serious debt to buy guitars, something that horrifies me, so it's nice to read about someone being sensible.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm

I agree with David, that was really unnecessary.

Firstly, it’s his post about his guitar. What the fuck does it have to do with you?

Secondly, it’s everything to do with guitars! Most of us have had to make choices like this, sometimes it’s buying a house, sometimes it’s hospital bills. Again, what is it to you?

It’s all fine and good for you to come drooling over Kevin’s NGD posts, but he’s aired a very real dilemma, as many of us do here on OSG. We’re a tight-knit group like that. If you don’t like it, go somewhere less personal.

I have to say, I’m surprised by your post. You’ve always struck me as a positive member.
Last edited by Telliot on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm
mgeek wrote:

I think you're being very unfair there and the forum could probably do without your snide post, especially directed at a good long term contributor.

Perhaps it's a first world problem, but it's also a real world dilemma that's he's entitled to share. I'm guessing he's wanting some peer encouragement to help take the sting away and he's also counting his blessings.

I think some folk might benefit from seeing a fellow obsessive ready to sacrifice some of his obsession in the pursuit of a home and some common sense. For me letting a couple of old cars go to help fund a move was quite a big life moment for me, I suddenly felt I had my priorities straight.

Kevin has some beautiful guitars but it looks like they never came easy and letting them go is hard and I think it's easy to empathise with him.

In the past I've read about folk getting into serious debt to buy guitars, something that horrifies me, so it's nice to read about someone being sensible.

D

massive +1

I've been in a situation similar to Kev's for a while, but I did it the other way around...I just didn't buy any guitars until my deposit was completed, and it was terribly difficult at times...it tok me 3 years to save the money up...deposits (and stamp duty - although they gave us a break here in the UK now) in the UK and most likely in Dublin too are HUGE.

As in, you need 50k plus...that is a tremendous amount of money to save, especially as you save it AFTER you paid taxes on it (so 50k is a lot more than 50k really), plus you have al your standard living arrangements like rent etc.

And the market (in London, at least) is overpriced, and in free fall, which complicates buying even more, but that's another story :)

Best of luck with finding your dream place Kev...a handful of nice guitars to put in there is a true blessing. Sure it's nice to have more, and you can always pick up more in the future. I'm pretty sure I will! 8)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 am

Complaining about people complaining is also kind of a first world problem, is it not? But then again, complaining about complaining about complaining probably is too... Oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 am

In all seriousness, I've had this thought too as I'm in the market to buy a place too and I absolutely despise debt. I unfortunately live in a wonderful city that also just happens to be one of the most ridiculously expensive places to live in the world. I've thought about selling everything I own except the bare essentials to help add to the fund. I could do it, probably. But, on the one hand, it would be like a drop in the ocean compared to the mortgage I'll be taking on. Then on the other hand, when I imagine my ideal place, I envision a place where I can have all of my beloved stuff there to keep me company on those cold winter nights.

What I've decided to do, is to try my best to get the place first, keep my stuff in storage (lucky for me, I have places I can store stuff), and then slowly bring my belongings into my new place. The stuff I grab first will probably be the stuff I actually really want/need, and the things I have no real desire to bring into my new life are the stuff that I could probably, and might as well, sell off. In fact, I have stuff in storage that I know I don't like but am holding onto because I know the vintage market is silly and will pay me good money for it when I need it.

Good luck!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 am

mgeek wrote:
Despot wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:32 am
Right. I'm conscious that I'm becoming a prick at this stage.

*past you holds current you's coat*

Fair enough. I guess there's a degree of needing to take heed of the fact that in being able to finally buy a place I'm probably in a better position than a lot of people (or 'first world problems' as you put it). I know I'm a damn sight better off than others here in Dublin who can't even find a place to rent, let alone buy, and I don't take that for granted.

You know what though mgeek - I've worked my ass off to be able to get to where I am. In countless hours spent in airports, away for weeks from my family and friends with work, years spent doing soul crushing corporate crap because it was the only way I'd ever be able to afford to have cash left after my bills at the end of the month, grafting for everything I can to be able to put together the disproportionately high amount of money I need to put away to buy a place. And the guitars are part of that - always were. I always expected that I'd end up selling most of them to fund my own place ... but at least I'd have had the chance to play different stuff over the years. The guitars were all funded through not doing the stuff that others do - holidays, nights out, gigs. I'm not a wealthy guy ... I've a decent job, but these things didn't come without sacrifice.

Other sacrifices too. Do you think I'm working in my dream job? It's a decent one, but I'm in the job I'm in now because it allows me to pay my bills and put a bit aside. What I love most in life, music, and what I've always been most skilled at (art/design), aren't viable options for me. I just wouldn't be able to live. I'm not a good enough musician to make that work, and faced with a choice of doing what I do now or going back to college to get some qualification in design ... I chose what I do now. It was a conscious decision that I made in my mid-20s to give up on the things that I loved in order to be able to make enough money to have a family home - and now, at 39, it's taken me nearly 15 years to get there. 15 years of paying huge amounts in rent to people who are already wealthy because unlike other folk, I've no family base to fall back on here - so everything I've saved has been out of a fairly limited pool of what was left at the end of the month when everything else was paid. I'm not some rich kid who comes from money - quite the opposite. I'm the first of my extended family to ever go to university.

As others have said, I was trying to get a sense check from folk on here, whose opinions I value, that I'm doing the right thing. So sorry if I came across as a prick because I wanted some people who know what I'm talking about with this stuff to tell me "yeah, it's gonna hurt, but it'll be worth it" to help push me into doing what I need to do. I wasn't trying to rub your nose in it mgeek - or anyone elses for that matter.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:26 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

I think some folk might benefit from seeing a fellow obsessive ready to sacrifice some of his obsession in the pursuit of a home and some common sense.
This - exactly this. And thanks D.

As Shadowplay has said, I know I'm lucky. Whilst none of it came easy, it's certainly a case of me counting my blessings. The guitar thing is an obsession for me - and it was always a form of saving. I always knew it'd come to this, but I guess I was just looking for some folk here to help push me over the line to do what I already know I need to do.