OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Post by vale » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:59 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
vale wrote:just a teatime random for you teatime randoms.
the boston wrangler by michel legrand (from the thomas crown affair, 1968).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUIEdjXu3nI
Funnily enough, talking of T. Crown/Legrand, I just read the other day that The Windmills of Your Mind was actually written for Les parapluies de Cherbourg, which was news to me.
the big european soundtrack writers of 1950s/60s/70s are notorious for recycling & repurposing. probs because their turnover was unlike anything soundtrack writers today would recognise. a soundtrack in a week or two. firing them out. so stuff got recyled. as a consequence famous tracks often have multiple ost outings under different guises.
morricone, piccioni, cipriani, legrand, francis lai, gainsbourg etc constantly use & reuse. les parapluies & les demoiselles de rochefort (kitsch sequel) full of things that appear later. & from mid 60s they started crossing the atlantic; legrand hit big with thomas crown & francis lai with love story. both massive soundtracks in their day.

on that transatlantic note, this might amuse you & sums up that whole recycling scene.
a random 1973 album track by la vanoni. 3 years later same writer/arranger asked to contribute to an ost for a random US low-budget indie film about boxing. slips the coda from the vanoni track in... the rest is ost history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyc8H8u8UCw
Last edited by vale on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i am an animal.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:53 am

^ That bit was lost on me as I had to consult the below the line comments to glean it was used in a Rocky film.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:21 am

for me, this one is going down for the cheese factor but initial d has a glorious soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 am

Nobody loves anything as much as Zelda fans love Zelda. As far as fan projects go, this has got to be one of the biggest and most ambitious. It's also really tasteful, as far as serious live orchestration of 90s videogame music can be. I love it.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Awhile back I watched the '50s Sci-Fi classic Forbidden Planet again, but this time something the host said caught my attention. He said that it has the first completely electronic soundtrack ever made.

from Wikipedia:
Bebe Barron (June 16, 1925 – April 20, 2008) and Louis Barron (April 23, 1920 – November 1, 1989) were two American pioneers in the field of electronic music. They are credited with writing the first electronic music for magnetic tape, and the first entirely electronic film score for the MGM movie Forbidden Planet (1956).

Main Titles/Overture/Giant Footprints In The Sand

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Can't wait for Ben Frost to release the OST he did for Dark. Was perfect for the show, which has blown my mind.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:40 am

I started watching that Requiem off the BBC and was immediately struck by the music; admittedly this was in an anoraky way as the sound of a recurring (omnichord?) glissando brought to mind one of the settings on the Boss PS-3, but as the show progressed I noticed how different in texture the soundtrack music was from 99% of TV and film soundtracks, which are so often generic these days; it seems to me that if it's not brooding legato strings with the odd plangent piano thunk a la Ólafur Arnalds it's variations on the theme of Harry Potter for the majority of 'spooky' dramas.

Anyway, I was sufficiently interested to pause and rewind the lightning-quick credits to see who had done the music and it turns out it was by Dominik Scherrer, who I haven't previously heard of, and Natasha Khan (who I have). My guess is NK is probably only responsible for the vocal lines that permeate the themes, but who knows. In any case, I'll be interested to see if it gets released as a disc or file of some sort.

For the record, I won't be recommending the drama in the TV thread....

Here's a taster - title sequence (couldn't find it as a stand-alone upload).

Edit: found more on Soundcloud.

* Sweeping generalistaion alert!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 am

^^^

I heard a bit of that and thought it sounded good too. You seen anything about it being available to buy anywhere?

Edit; it's on itunes :( , no physical that I can see. Got it on now, gorgeous stuff. :-*

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am

Sadly not available on physical format (as far as I can tell), but Mrs. N and I were really taken by the perennially amazing Hildur Guðnadóttir‘s soundtrack to the Chernobyl miniseries (which imo is some of the best tv in ages). Makes any pointy guitar dross calling itself ‘heavy’ look like helium in comparison.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am

nanamour wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 am
Sadly not available on physical format (as far as I can tell), but Mrs. N and I were really taken by the perennially amazing Hildur Guðnadóttir‘s soundtrack to the Chernobyl miniseries (which imo is some of the best tv in ages). Makes any pointy guitar dross calling itself ‘heavy’ look like helium in comparison.

That sounds promising I am on it, i love her music. I’ve not seen the series, I found I hard enough reading about the feral dogs in the zone and I fear the series will be too upsetting.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:45 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am
nanamour wrote:

That sounds promising I am on it, i love her music. I’ve not seen the series, I found I hard enough reading about the feral dogs in the zone and I fear the series will be too upsetting.

D
If you watch it be advised there’s a heart wrenching side plot later on about the feral animal ‘control’ that’s gets pretty (and imo unnecessarily) gruesome; I usually have a fairly strong stomach for that kind of thing but I found myself having to physically leave the room at times.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm

nanamour wrote:
oh man.. it's fantastic. it really sets the mood. she did a wonderful job on it.

i've recently sort of rediscovered Ryuichi Sakamoto, namely the Revenant soundtrack, as well as the work he did for Hara-Kiri:Death of a Samurai

love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0V0RiE4AqA

Vlad_the_Impala
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Vlad_the_Impala » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

mijmog wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am
I love the Motorcycle Diaries soundtrack. A mixture of beautiful soundscapes, traditional music and some interesting Fender vs Trad instrument clashes going on.

Main theme:
Motorcycle Diaries - Apertura

Noise:
Motorcycle Diaries - El Cruce

Nice electric guitar meets traditional drum beat thing:
Motorcycle Diaries - La Salida

Something else:
Motorcycle Diaries - De Usuahia a la Quiaca - Gustavo Santaolalla
I really enjoyed that movie. The soundtrack is cool too, thanks for reminding me of it.

Misc.Vision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Misc.Vision » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:44 am

I have been paying more attention to soundtracks lately. My wife is a big fan, as well. We've recently acquired some outstanding ones.

Suspiria (2018) by Thom Yorke

https://youtu.be/BTZl9KMjbrU

Mandy by Johann Johannsson

https://youtu.be/PKZEBhRX-TU

Westworld

https://youtu.be/TWrSQuCVfVI

This one is next on the list.

https://youtu.be/aqgMxX8v5A8
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus