Modern Post Punk Primer

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by InLimbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 am

Exploded View has been one of a few dominating artists in my rotation for the past few weeks - excellent recommendation, shadowplay.

I'm still trying to grasp at what makes post punk post punk; my ear is trying to parse how some recommendations make it into this thread versus the Hauntological thread. Would you say there's a broad area of overlap? Exploded View seems to have a foot in both camps, which I think is one of the main reasons I'm hooked. Particularly the psyche feel of Gimme Something.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 am

InLimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 am
Exploded View has been one of a few dominating artists in my rotation for the past few weeks - excellent recommendation, shadowplay.

I'm still trying to grasp at what makes post punk post punk; my ear is trying to parse how some recommendations make it into this thread versus the Hauntological thread. Would you say there's a broad area of overlap? Exploded View seems to have a foot in both camps, which I think is one of the main reasons I'm hooked. Particularly the psyche feel of Gimme Something.
I think some of that is fair enough, in some ways tracks like Stand your Ground and Gimme Something are like cold war bunker versions of late 60's private press breakfolk like Chris Harwood. It's almost as if there was a band in this style who were scooped up in a Kommune raid on the RAF in 1971, held in isolation and not released until 79', when they heard stuff like PiL and pulled a grey overcoat over their smocks

You heard the new EP?

Btw as for as for feeling out the genre lines or at least discussion lined, there's some chat on the first couple of pages of this thread that isn't too unhelpful.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:34 am

I'm aware of it, but haven't listened to it yet (I tend to digest things slowly) - definitely on my to-listen list.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:42 am

IMO the Vox Low album is simply superb, they have absolutely nailed the sound after refining it through a series of stunning EP's (Previously on Modern Post Punk Primer. Should probably have it's own thread but it's possibly of minorty interest.

Vox Low - s/t Might not be too easy to find in shops, I know that Juno sold out in minutes of getting them in but you can get it direct for the moment.

:-*

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 am

Agent Blå (Sweden) has been in heavy rotation here at Chez la Mort -- vaguely Xmal Deutschland + anthemic punk (Avengers?) + a little indie thrown in.
https://youtu.be/RmYxVjJAXNo

As well as the stunning Drab Majesty

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 am

cestlamort wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 am

As well as the stunning Drab Majesty
I was playing the Oak Wood seven earlier.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:15 am

Not posted anything in here for a while and nothing as guitar but REALLY enjoying the new Diat album Positive Discrimination which reminds me of The Mob quite a bit (and being priced at £12.99 doesn't hurt the comparison either) as well as Lack of Knowledge, Killing Joke, early UK Decay, Crisis and Wire less so and has something of Total Control about it. There's none in the shops at the moment but more are due out on Blackest Ever Black in May.

Low Life might also appeal.

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am

Rakta - Falha Comum Os Mutantes Posessed! Serious Witchcraft duo from Brazil, flailing their Farfisa to great extent, at times sounding cavernous and and in outer space simultaneously. Makes me think early Cocteau Twins gone Tribal.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Sun May 05, 2019 2:57 pm

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am
Rakta - Falha Comum Os Mutantes Posessed! Serious Witchcraft duo from Brazil, flailing their Farfisa to great extent, at times sounding cavernous and and in outer space simultaneously. Makes me think early Cocteau Twins gone Tribal.

^this is a great LP, a friend turned me on to it recently and it was awesome to see someone posting about it here

Because I saw a bunch of other favs listed here: Diat, Black Marble, The KVB, Drab Majesty and I didn’t see any word about it already I should say that if you have not heard the bands FACS or Soft Kill to go check them both out ASAP.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 am

aRoseisaRoseis wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:17 am
This is 100% magick, I didn't know about it and the vinyl is a bit if a bargain too.

Thanks

D

aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 am
This is 100% magick, I didn't know about it and the vinyl is a bit if a bargain too.

Thanks

D
Glad you like it, I found their S/T EP to be pretty cool, too, in a slightly more direct and garage-wise way. Not sure on availabilty, got mine here.
tune_link wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:57 pm
FACS or Soft Kill to go check them both out ASAP.
Thanks, I'll give them a go!
Warming up to Positive Disintegration?

My Cousin, who told me about Rakta and is also a fan of Diät, pokes around a bit in the vast Taiga of Modern Russian Post-Punk (something not granted to me due to not speaking Russian). It sometimes has a certain likeness to it's folk music which I thought might be of interest to Shadowplay.
ТЭЦ - Малозаметное Side Project of the rather well known Motorama.
It carries a certain sense of lighthearted indifference, or rather, upbeat melancholy abundant to Russian Post-Punk, which I rarely encounter elsewhere. Not sure it translates well, figured it might be worth sharing.
Kino - Mi Hotim Tancevat (All We Want Is To Dance) This is a somewhat of a Russian classic.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 07, 2019 1:54 am

I always think that Spunky Onions track goes perfectly with They must be russians - Don't try to cure yourself

One of my favourite recent modernist Post Punk acts is the later releases of Curses* who combine post punk styles with a techno ancestor (which for me is genre splice that really found it's feet on the classic Tyrell Corporation cut which I think might inform bands like VoX LoW and Curses).

I adore the Romatic Fiction elpee from last year and i'd recommend Another View 12 and his recent collabs with Local Suicide.

Curses feat. Jennifer Cardini - Silence In The Dark

Curses feat. Perel - Gold & Silber which is like cross between EN's Feurio and Funkytown.

Curses - Crucify

D

*surprised me as I'd bought some earlier releases that I felt weren't to the recent standard.

Btw it's cool to see this thread get going again.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 08, 2019 3:11 am

Anyone into Cardinal & Nun? They kinda sound like a cross between DAF, Suicide and The Cassandra Complex blended in with seletions from a severely mangled goth mixtape from 1983 (like the end of I Met the Devil is almost Romeo's Distress as a locked groove). They/he had a tape out late last year that's OK but if I'm honest I'd say you'd be better looking at Sterile Hand but the new one on L.E.I.S (Long Island Electrical Systems) is really good.

I Met the Devil

REALLY like Empoisonne but sadly only shop samples to link to.

D