Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Post by B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 am

"...hell even Eric Johnson deviated from the normal color selection on his sig."

THIS.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 am

Hmmm. It is a bit curious as to why the alternative colour palette seems to be caught in such a time warp (and if they're changing some things about "vintage spec" guitars you'd think that colour shouldn't be off limits either). Curiously, have a look at modern vehicles. Black. Silver. White. Metallic red. 95% of all cars... the other 5%... I think Fender is winning that competition, but by how much...

It's not such a big deal to me personally. But if we are asking questions of innovation/variation then I'd be asking about new techniques to finish a guitar, or different patterns. At the moment they just spray on all-the-same-colour or 2-or-3-colour-burst, or clear(ish) for 99% of guitars. Maybe there is more room in there for some interesting innovation (or simply something fresh or diverse). There was this industrial vibe special edition tele & strat last year that looked really interesting - I'd be cool with something like that without the text stamps on it, bring this out in a number of shades for example:

(But I guess they expect us to buy a plain guitar and then put our own stickers on it how we want, unless it's a signature model?)

What about controls? Same colours and shapes for decades. So easy to expand that range. Pickup covers... Inlays (always dots or blocks, why?)...

and bring on the metallic chocolate ;D

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 am

People can be really fickle about colors. I doubt we'll see much exotic at this price point, it's less risky for them to try different things on cheaper guitars.

And they have done quite a bit with MIM guitars. They had a rootbeer sparkle/flake a while back, some different colors of paisley, something with a dragon painted on it... The pawn shop Super Sonic came in gunmetal flake and orange flake. They made that HH Jazzmaster with the CAR competition stripe (that took years to sell out). Some hardtail Jaguar in surf pearl...

Even with some lower end American Standard or Special models, they've tried some unique FSR runs - like the "sandblasted" ones, or the "rustic ash" series.

Now that they've ditched the American Vintage line for a generic '60s model, maybe we'll see something more interesting come to the MIM vintage spec line.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 am

"...if we are asking questions of innovation/variation then I'd be asking about new techniques to finish a guitar, or different patterns. ...Maybe there is more room in there for some interesting innovation (or simply something fresh or diverse)."

I have a close friend who is VERY into the whole crazy custom, Mexican low-rider showcar thing. It's how he makes his living and he is fairly well known in that scene. Those guys are epitome of innovation and pushing the boundaries of color spraying and finishing techniques. And it's not like Southern California is experiencing any shortage of these guys. Think bigger.

I feel today a "62 Jaguar" is purchased more as a particular set of specs, sound and overall design than it is some precise relic that conjures up thoughts of a time most of us weren't alive. And if you need proof of that mindset, just look at it in this latest line.. A "generic 60's" version, as Tammyw mentioned above.

I guarantee consumers in 2018 will complain much less about the historic accuracy of "Metallic Chocolate" than they will seeing yet another Candy Apple Red anything.
Last edited by B on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 am

B wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 am
Fender has used this color palette (or very slight variations on it) on far more than just the American Vintage/Original line over the years (which yes, I understand the use of on those obviously). I remember in the early 90s when they imported the MIJ Jazzmasters and Jaguars and they were all the rage. Unless somebody went to Japan and brought one back, I think the only colors ever imported to sell in the US were were CAR, Oly White and Sunburst. When they first revamped the American Vintage line, there they were again... CAR, white and SB. The gold was cool on the JM. And there are some killer colors on the Am Pro line for sure.

I'm guess I'm mainly asking why Fender is so set on this era of colors on guitars that are anything but "original" spec to begin with. And if a "vintage-ish spec" Jaguar or Jazzmaster has been available for almost the last 30 years now (In the form of the MIJ, CIJ, AVRI, AV, Squiers) at what point do we stop having to continue to slather on these 60's colors, hold the same general set of features, and loosely keep referring to them as "vintage this" or "original that"? If they are willing to monkey with the specs, why not play with a line of vintage spec'd guitars in a totally new way color wise?

"But they didn't offer Pink Grapefruit Sparkleburst in 60s." Yeah, well, they didn't offer 9.5 inch fretboards and 6105 frets either. So if we're going to modernize things while kind of maintaining a vintage tone and feature set, why not change the most glaringly obvious and easiest to change feature of them... the color. Fender knows what a traditional Jazzmaster is and they know how artists use these instruments. Why not really breathe some new life into a "vintage" line of these guitars instead of having to respect some imaginary boundry on vintage spec guitars that says they have to be colors from their respective era?

Yeah, I am all over the board here and not making a damn bit of sense. I also have the flu and am loaded out of my head on cold medicine at 3am. I think this is just a reaction to seeing white, sunburst and tired as hell CAR on YET ANOTHER line of "almost vintage-ish spec" guitars. We're respecting a tradition that at it's core, most of us have zero connection to to begin with. Bring on the "Metallic Chocolate '62 Spec Jaguar".
BRING ON THE PINK GRAPEFRUIT SPARKLEBURST :? :w00t:
The Cherry Wave

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 am

tealsixtysix wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 am
...you're asking why Fender uses '50s and '60s colors on '50s and '60s reissues?

The other lines (American Pro and Elite) use plenty of new colors, some of which are awesome. (Mystic Seafoam, anyone?)
That is a great new color! Of course there is also Sonic Grey, Antique Olive, and they brought back Capri Orange for the Duo-Sonic. I wish they would do Orange for some other models. It's probably a love it or hate it color. Colors in general are hard to get consensus on. Which is why the safe bet is sand or beige, or eggshell---or in Fender's case, the old reliable equivalents. I also get the feeling they like to save their colors for special things. Keep them desirable and dole them out here and there.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 am

I’m sure Fender knows exactly what they are doing from a marketing/dollar and cents perspective. But this endless reshuffling of the same old deck is getting pretty uninspiring.

Then again, Gibson has been throwing everything new under the sun at a Les Paul in the past 10 years and I couldn’t give less of a shit.

SMBlack
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SMBlack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am

So I’m having trouble deciding between the new ones with thin skin specs or one with vintage frets and radius. The thing is I’ve only played one Fender with vintage radius and frets. It was a Lacquer Jazzmaster (MIM) at GC and I found it to feel awkward. It seemed like I had to press harder to hit each note compared to larger frets which slowed me down quite a bit and made everything feel just...off. So I’ve been a bit put off by vintage specs and was now leaning towards the AO or a Thin Skin with 6105 frets that I’m used to already and a flatter 9.5 fretboard. So what I’m wondering is do you always have to press harder and put more effort into each note with these specs, or did it just feel that way because it had a shitty factory setup? I’m assuming the action could have probably been lower but I’ve also heard the action is usually higher on fretboards with vintage radius and frets to prevent choking out on bends.

I can’t a/b the difference at GC as right now they don’t have any guitars with either specs right now locally, so any input would be appreciated.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am

B wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 am
I guarantee consumers in 2018 will complain much less about the historic accuracy of "Metallic Chocolate" than they will seeing yet another Candy Apple Red anything.
Despite being the resident CAR fanatic (read "apologist"), "Metallic Chocolate" sounds... spectacular.

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am

B wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 am
"...hell even Eric Johnson deviated from the normal color selection on his sig."

THIS.
I like this idea. Fender did some limited or one-off colors in its history. These colors would seem new to us, yet still appeal to the traditional minded.
The AV '63 Precision bass was available in Seminole Red. Tropical Turquoise (EJ sig). Dave's guitars has a rare original "Tahitian Coral" Strat in its vaults. In the 50's, Fender painted some guitars "Cimarron Red" for Leon McAuliffe's band, the Cimarron Boys.

My friend has an '80s Tele in "Gun Metal Blue" which was available for awhile. Then there was (is?) the Clapton in "7-Up Green". Remember the blue bursts? Or the International Edition colors of the early '80s?

Maybe I'm just reminiscing and getting off topic, but Fender has been pretty experimental with colors from time to time. So I agree it would be nice to see it again in the Vintage line in a way that wouldn't turn off the target audience.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

SMBlack wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am
So I’m having trouble deciding between the new ones with thin skin specs or one with vintage frets and radius. The thing is I’ve only played one Fender with vintage radius and frets. It was a Lacquer Jazzmaster (MIM) at GC and I found it to feel awkward. It seemed like I had to press harder to hit each note compared to larger frets which slowed me down quite a bit and made everything feel just...off. So I’ve been a bit put off by vintage specs and was now leaning towards the AO or a Thin Skin with 6105 frets that I’m used to already and a flatter 9.5 fretboard. So what I’m wondering is do you always have to press harder and put more effort into each note with these specs, or did it just feel that way because it had a shitty factory setup? I’m assuming the action could have probably been lower but I’ve also heard the action is usually higher on fretboards with vintage radius and frets to prevent choking out on bends.

I can’t a/b the difference at GC as right now they don’t have any guitars with either specs right now locally, so any input would be appreciated.
Just get a Thin Skin or AO, since you already like those neck specs. With vintage frets and 7.25" radius you do have to press down more, the action will be a bit higher, and your finger makes more contact with the fingerboard. I like that, but it sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am

amv wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am
B wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 am
Despite being the resident CAR fanatic (read "apologist"), "Metallic Chocolate" sounds... spectacular.
Or maybe...
https://youtu.be/yKK2AIHwZpY

SMBlack
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SMBlack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

sunburster wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am

Just get a Thin Skin or AO, since you already like those neck specs. With vintage frets and 7.25" radius you do have to press down more, the action will be a bit higher, and your finger makes more contact with the fingerboard. I like that, but it sounds like it's not your cup of tea.
I think you’re right then if that’s just the nature of those specs. So now the only question is color. CFM, FMS or the classic (though many will say boring and ubiquitous) sunburst. Thing is, it’s my 1st JM and I have always loved the look of a 3TS Jazzy. Particularly after I throw a Spitfire burgundy speckled tort on it. And the new ones actually look unique because even though it has the 65-66 D&B and transition logo, the burst looks more like the early 60’s bursts like on the AVRI’s. The AV65 was more of a target burst (which was period correct). So the new combo actually looks unique to me. So Spitfire, Mastery, and probably Antiquity I’s (I prefer black bobbin/formvar to grey bobbins, and this guitar isn’t really supposed to be ‘period correct’ or anything). Kinda sounds like a winner to me.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

I genuinely love the sonic grey and mystic seafoam in particular that Fender’s used on the Pro line.
The Cherry Wave

Pogue Mahone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pogue Mahone » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 pm

scottT wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am
B wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:00 am

THIS.
I like this idea. Fender did some limited or one-off colors in its history. These colors would seem new to us, yet still appeal to the traditional minded.
The AV '63 Precision bass was available in Seminole Red. Tropical Turquoise (EJ sig). Dave's guitars has a rare original "Tahitian Coral" Strat in its vaults. In the 50's, Fender painted some guitars "Cimarron Red" for Leon McAuliffe's band, the Cimarron Boys.

My friend has an '80s Tele in "Gun Metal Blue" which was available for awhile. Then there was (is?) the Clapton in "7-Up Green". Remember the blue bursts? Or the International Edition colors of the early '80s?

Maybe I'm just reminiscing and getting off topic, but Fender has been pretty experimental with colors from time to time. So I agree it would be nice to see it again in the Vintage line in a way that wouldn't turn off the target audience.
Oh jeez, a 7-Up green Jag, that would be hot af! I think the Clapton Strat was also available in a Mercedes blue that would be sweet as well...
"I sat for a while by the gap in the wall, found a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball"