Help me identify this Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
cloudsabove
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help me identify this Jaguar

Post by cloudsabove » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:22 am

Hi guys,
a couple of days ago I bought this Jaguar AVRI62 and yesterday I noticed that under the black finish there is a kind of surf green under coat.
I don't think it was repainted, but it looks strange to me... What do you think?
The seller is a good guy, he told me that he bought it like this and he has never noticed this. He is okay to give me my money back and take back the guitar.
It looks good, plays well and sounds great... I am a bit hesitant about what to do.

https://www.instagram.com/_whitejunk_/

cloudsabove
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Help me identify this Jaguar

Post by cloudsabove » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

Anyone? :(
Assuming that, for an unknown reason, it came out like this from Fender, does everything look right for an AVRI62?
I mean the stamps in the neck/body.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 am

It's a type of factory primer or filler. I can't say it's on every one, but I have seen numerous AVRI guitars with a surf green or light blue looking undercoat come in to the shop for repairs.

You're totally good. Congrats on your new Jag.

jmurph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmurph » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm

I can't give any insight on the surf green (although B seems to be onto something about it just being a factory undercoat) , but you like the way it plays/sounds/looks. So, if the guitar it was a fair price, then I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you feel you'll want to sell it and fear that it could lower the resale value. Just something to think about.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be able to call fender and see if they can confirm the authenticity via the serial number.

If you decide to keep it, happy NGD!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm

If you like it and it plays well, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks fine to me. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

cloudsabove
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cloudsabove » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm

I have just received an answer from Fender and they confirm that it's an AVRI62 in black.
It's some kind of blue/green under coat. I have also a Jazzmaster AVRI62 in black but it has none.
Thanks to all for your help!

jmurph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmurph » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am

cloudsabove wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 pm
I have just received an answer from Fender and they confirm that it's an AVRI62 in black.
It's some kind of blue/green under coat. I have also a Jazzmaster AVRI62 in black but it has none.
Thanks to all for your help!
Glad to hear everything worked out. Enjoy your new Jag! It's interesting that your JM doesn't have it. I wonder how Fender decides which guitars get a certain undercoat.

cloudsabove
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cloudsabove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 am

jmurph wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am
Glad to hear everything worked out. Enjoy your new Jag! It's interesting that your JM doesn't have it. I wonder how Fender decides which guitars get a certain undercoat.
Yeah, me too. The finish looks the same, but not the scratches :)
The Jag is from 2007 and the JM is from 2012, if that matters.
My personal opinion is that they started making the Jag in surf green, then something went wrong and they finished it in black, using the first color as an undercoat. The black finish is very thin on the Jag, while in the JM it's thicker.

jmurph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmurph » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:26 am

cloudsabove wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 am
jmurph wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 am
Yeah, me too. The finish looks the same, but not the scratches :)
The Jag is from 2007 and the JM is from 2012, if that matters.
My personal opinion is that they started making the Jag in surf green, then something went wrong and they finished it in black, using the first color as an undercoat. The black finish is very thin on the Jag, while in the JM it's thicker.
That makes sense and I wondered if that was the case. It could be they got order for more black Jags & just started spraying ones that already had some finish on them. I've heard stories of dual finishes on vintage Fenders.
Your Jag looks great now & will look pretty cool as it ages and little glimmers of surf green poke through. It will have a character that other guitars won't have. I've been tempted to paint over my RW Jag so that I'd have bits of CAR visible under black.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 am

Definitely looks like a factory finish to me, so I wouldn't worry. Looks consistent with things I have seen in the past.

Besides, on a new-production Fender body, a professional refinish doesn't really devalue anything, and that's definitely a professional finish on it, so all is good!

Looks great, by the way, and congrats on the NGD!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.