Fender American 2018 Limited Editon Jaguar Strat

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American 2018 Limited Editon Jaguar Strat

Post by windmill » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Just a bit of the obvious here about the Jag-Strat....

A defining characteristic of the strat is the angled bridge pickup - wonder why they didn't do it on this ?

On the other hand, the Jaguar is a 2 pick up guitar - why has this then got three ?

Neither Arthur or Martha

But who really cares, there is a new toy to play with !

:)

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 pm
The Jaguar Strat isn't the worst thing in the world. You could at least make some kind of feeble effort to justify it since it's a 25.5" scale, and has three pickups and such. It is at least somewhat... barely... fresh.

It's funny, though, I was thinking about how maybe when the Gibson Firebird was released, and how that would have been a bold thing that a lot of people hadn't seen before, and the kids would have been excited because it would have been totally different from grandpa's guitar, and grandpa wouldn't have approved of it, he would have played jazz on his hollow-body with F holes, and the kid would have felt quite the rebel playing rock and roll and boogie with his Firebird...

But now it's all grandpa's guitar.
No, I don't suppose the solid body electric guitar will ever be the cause of a generational rift again. You have a point about Fender cannibalizing its own history. Honestly though, I really don't think the buying public would accept anything completely new--just variations on a theme. Still it kind of amazes me that Fender would put something like this out (if not a hoax).

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 pm

The Jag-strat looks hideous. Like just a bunch of bits and bobs cobbled together and somewhat haphazardly tossed onto a guitar. The surf green jazz-tele looks better. I wouldn't buy either one, but I can see how these would appeal to some folks. Like, if you (only?) love Teles and hate Jazzmaster bodies but like the pickups and trem (do such people exist? Must be a couple out there).

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 pm

sunburster wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 pm
...Like, if you (only?) love Teles and hate Jazzmaster bodies but like the pickups and trem (do such people exist? Must be a couple out there).
OSG had people making Telemasters before the Offset Telecaster, and TDPRI was making these:

And yes, many people over there love Teles and hate Jazzmaster bodies.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MelWaldorf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am

Jansen Guitars from New Zealand made a cool Strat/Jag hybrid in the late 60s called The Invader. Much nicer looking.

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 am

Are these real? They all look like photoshop experiments. It's a PR stunt, surely?
The Jagstrat and TeleJazz just look wrong. (I even came up with better names!). The tele trem is way too close to the edge of the body and the lower pick guard of the strat is so unaesthetic it hurts to look at. A real botch job on both.
When you compare them to their opposites - the telemaster and the jaguarillo theres no competition. They at least followed the curves of the bodies and were elegant in design.
If fender needed inspiration for a Jag/strat mash up then they should have looked no further than Hofner who were copying them in the 60's -
1964 Hofner Galaxie - http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/ ... sol34.html
Or even this for a tele-like body with trem -
Late 70's Hofner 164 - http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/ ... sol41.html
May the Fuzz be with you

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:05 am

Buying one of these sends up a flare that tells the Style Stazi your location. It won't end well because if you think the elegantly named Jaguar Strat looks good you are surely wearing some criminal garms to match it. I'd leave the flipflops at home when you pilot your Nissan Juke down to Guitar Barn, so you at least have a chance at giving the taste bootboys the slip.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 am

The Tele with the trem is reasonable enough but that strat...

:-X

It's sort of alright until you look at the volume and tone control plate (and the position of the selector plate too, I guess). Then...

:k

If only they could switch that control plate the other way up and extend the strat pickguard in the same place so it's flush with the curve of the body they might just have been onto something.

Also not convinced that these aren't just photoshops. I had to look twice before realising they were actually real - I thought they'd been taken off the old dressing room somehow!

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:49 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:22 am
that strat... It's sort of alright until you look at the volume and tone control plate (and the position of the selector plate too, I guess). Then... If only they could switch that control plate the other way up and extend the strat pickguard in the same place so it's flush with the curve of the body they might just have been onto something.
I was thinking the same thing...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 am

scottT wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

No, I don't suppose the solid body electric guitar will ever be the cause of a generational rift again. You have a point about Fender cannibalizing its own history. Honestly though, I really don't think the buying public would accept anything completely new--just variations on a theme. Still it kind of amazes me that Fender would put something like this out (if not a hoax).
I mean, it happens. Sometimes you reach the apotheosis of a design and there's not all that much room for improvement and even less demand. I happened to know a lot of members of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra very casually (the second oldest in the United States, for those keeping track at home), and I would ask them about their violins and cellos and such. They were all very old instruments, usually well over a hundred years old, very expensive. The evolution of the violin has been complete for some time now, there's no demand for any further evolution and so there isn't.

It's probably the case for the electric guitar as well. The days of new designs as far as offering new technology are over, you used to see things like MIDI/synth capabilities built in, or different types of pickups like piezo added, and so on. None of that took over from the older designs and have proved to be less successful than that 50's type technology as archetypified by the Stratocaster.

So it is what is is, you know? The electric guitar can be frozen in time like flutes are, and cellos are, and a lot of instruments are. There's nothing really wrong with that, from our point of view- you want an electric guitar, you get a Stratocaster, bam, you have the sounds that an electric guitar makes right there, you're good to go. Or you get a Les Paul. In the absence of any actual demand for new sounds (there's no new music at the moment that calls for new sounds from the electric guitar), there is little reason for anyone to develop them or anyone to buy them if they were developed.

But from the viewpoint of companies like Fender and Gibson, it is genuinely time to panic. The electric guitar has probably peaked in popularity from what evidence we have, and both of their business models are based around constant growth in a worldwide market. They've already scaled back costs of both labor and manufacture probably about as much as they can. If the market continues to dwindle, it's hard for them to scale back from where they are without tanking completely.

So even if they wanted to just run smaller operations making fewer total numbers of well established designs that the markets expects from the electric guitar, there's a lot of dangers in doing that, usually companies can expand relatively easily but scaling back is much harder to do successfully.

Hence you see Fender and Gibson throwing everything at the wall to see if there's anything that will stick, and hopefully in the meantime persuading people like us who already bought electric guitars to purchase more of them. That's what you do when you don't actually get new customers.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 am

The only one of those guitars thatches up when clicking the links is the sunburst tele. Hopefully the strat is a some cruel joke, if the lower part of the pickguard was more strat like where the controls are it would help a lot. The pick up selector placement looks like it would be right in the way when playing.

I like the tele's though, But i built a tele with a jazz trem

tealsixtysix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tealsixtysix » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am

clef051 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 am
That's really cool. I would definitely enjoy owning something like that, maybe with a Filter'Tron in the neck.

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am

clef051 wrote:
The only one of those guitars thatches up when clicking the links is the sunburst tele. Hopefully the strat is a some cruel joke, if the lower part of the pickguard was more strat like where the controls are it would help a lot. The pick up selector placement looks like it would be right in the way when playing.

Whoa, we have a winner!

thatfenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thatfenderguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 pm

clef051 wrote:

That’s beautiful. I would love a Telecaster with a CBS headstock, a WRHB in the neck, the traditional Telecaster singlecoil bridge, and a Jazzmaster vibrato.

tealsixtysix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tealsixtysix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 am

Look again at that Jaguar Strat. Did that upper control plate come from another Fender model, or is that a new part?

All the other hardware (metal and molded plastic pieces) on all the other Parallel Universe models obviously comes from other Fenders. I wonder if that's a part for a new Jag that we haven't seen yet.