Outboard effects into interface??

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
jazzymaster616
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Outboard effects into interface??

Post by jazzymaster616 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Yo,

I'm slowly getting into recording and I have just bought an Alesis Micro Limiter after reading TapeOp's interview with Mac Demarco. Seemed like an nifty little piece of gear. So I impulsively bought one before I was sure I had the means to even use it.

My recording setup is pretty minimal right now; Focusrite 2i2, some KRK Rokit 5s, and a Fender Champ. My question is is it possible to set the Micro Limiter up with what I got? I feel I may need an interface with a few more outputs. This is my first piece of outboard hardware/rack mount gear so pardon me if it's common sense or anything. Any general knowledge would be helpful

Really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Justin
Yeah, I take my baby down to the street and I buy him a soda-pop.

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Outboard effects into interface??

Post by Grey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:35 pm

So from what I can tell this is a stereo compressor. What type of signal are you trying to use this with in regards to your equipment?

derekstudt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Outboard effects into interface??

Post by derekstudt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm

To answer your question, yes you can use it with what you have currently. Your signal chain would be the following:

Guitar -> Champ. Whatever mic you're using in front of the amp -> input 1 of the micro limiter. Output 1 of micro limiter -> focusrite input.

Something to ask yourself is if you really need to compress to "tape" (harddrive) or not. Know why and when you'd do it, and this unit should work. Experiment and don't go crazy (unless you know you want to commit to it) with the compression because there's no undo button once you've recorded it.