Useless PSA - Possibly a duplicate

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Useless PSA - Possibly a duplicate

Post by HNB » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:42 am

Nice! Maybe those will go on sale also.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Est arrival January 4th. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:19 pm

gah!
that's forever.
keep us posted.

Mekhem hasn't reported back, i wonder if he has his yet...
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:45 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:19 pm
gah!
that's forever.
keep us posted.

Mekhem hasn't reported back, i wonder if he has his yet...
;D Its been a busy week and I have been meaning to get back to everybody on this....

I got the 2030 Hampton in Blue - (sorry no pics but it did happen...) so 3 pickup (goldfoil types)/5 way

I have only had about an hour on it so far but here is my (not-so) mini review.

Fit and finish was excellent (cheap strings excepted but that's kind of standard now). Good solid finish, excellent fretwork. Light and balanced. Electrics are dead quiet with no click, hiss, or static. Action was a little high but that was the worst thing i can say about the setup. I tuned it up and let it rest for a bit and had to make no changes so - another plus.

Big neck - I would put it at bigger than an AV65 JM with a nice "C" carve. I wasn't paying attention to the spec sheet but it has a satin finish on the back of the neck which i like. So large but not not unpleasent. If you like skinny blade necks.... this is not for you. As I mentioned - fretwork is excellent. Not a sharp fret anywhere and with the higher action i haven't found a high or low spot yet but maybe if i lower the action a bit I mentioned that I am not a fan of Jumbo frets but these don't really play like jumbo frets if that makes sense. They play 'smaller' and just seem to fit with the neck. Nut is cut just about perfect (take that Gibson!). Fretboard and inlays are good, mine didn't strike me as too dry but will oil it up anyway at string change.

Now onto the good bits: I have never had a set of re-issue or vintage goldfoils on anything so I cant compare to the originals but man do these things sound FANTASTIC! Bridge pickup is bright chimey and somewhat thin so perfect for lo-fi or garage rock. Neck pickup is full and mid-rangy, Middle pickup fits nicely in between. Not a lot of 'quack' in the middle positions but maybe with some pickup adjustment you could tune that in there. The tone control is a usable sweep and volume, as mentioned, is pretty much on or off unless you can adjust in millimeter increments . If you run these through something with 12" speaker they really open up (reverberocket seems to like this guitar a lot). Also of note - some nice overtones with all the string behind the bridge.

TL;DR:
This is the best (impulse) $400 guitar that I have ever had. Well made and great sounding and most definitely a keeper. As much as I like it I am pretty sure I woudl have spent $1100 on it so I think Supro has some price point research to do. I do apologize for not being able to post this while they were still on sale.

Now - off to Sweetwater for that case which sadly the blue tolex case wont fit. Have to get a black square one I think.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:54 am

^^^

I bought the same guitar (Hampton) and I concur with everything in this review except for two points -- both subjective:

1) When people say thin/thick necks are they talking about nut width or back profile? I think it is the latter and if that is the case that guitar is nowhere near as bad as some big neck guitars I have had. It is easily comparable to a Fender modern C.

2) The volume control is very usable -- isn't that what 50s wiring is supposed to do? The guitar cleans up really nicely rolled back to 5-6. Several demos of these guitars emphasized this as one of its strong points. Quack is also aplenty for those who want to look for it.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I feel like I stole this guitar for what I paid. Part of me wants to mess with the wiring so that I can have Bridge+Neck, which is my favorite sound on any guitar, but it is perfect as it is that I will probably just leave it alone.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Mine came today!!!!! Super impressed with this guitar. The finish is a beautiful candy orange. The tailpiece is really cool and thick. The bridge looks totally fine. Not the beefiest TOM, but I am really glad to have it over the floating wood one. The satin neck feels so awesome! As someone who tends to sand the backs of necks to satin, I appreciate that they did it, but in a classy looking way. The neck isn't all satin, just where your hand would touch. The joint where the neck meets body is pretty cool design looking wise. I can tell they put some good thought into it. It has a small valute which I also appreciate. The tuners look like no name Klusons. I am sure they will work fine. I like the headstock brand metal logo. The rosewood is nice and dark. String alignment is straight. The body shape is comfortable. Not too thick or thin. Curves in good places and it is pretty easy to get to higher notes with the lower horn cutaway. What surprised me the most is how light it is. When I picked up the shipping box I almost fell back because it was lighter than I expected it to be. They packed it in the Supro factory box so it was very nicely secured for shipping. This came from Alto music. I would buy from them again.

I don't want to bad mouth Gibson, but their finish work on this Chinese one is better than the Les Pauls I have played in guitar stores. The finish around the end of the fretboard is nice and clean as is the finish on the back and to be honest, Supro's finish is harder since it is two colors vs Les Pauls are normally one. The fretwork on this is also nicer than the Les Pauls I tried. (Not the $5,000 ones, the $1,000 ones.) I also prefer metal tuner knobs to plastic ones.

Here are a couple pictures. Going to do a separate NGD post also.

Image20171230_174945 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20171230_175116 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20171230_175141 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Ah right, i saw this pic, and since my bday is coming up, actually next Wednesday, plus im guitarless atm, i only have a bass....and ahem.this was $399 with $20 bucks off so... :whistle:

Last edited by Fiddy on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Hot!!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:30 am

Can't go wrong.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:55 pm

If you can stiil get one of these at the blowout price then yeah - absolutely no downside. SamAsh seems to have gone back to regular pricing....

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Some of the models were still at $299 last time I was at Sam Ash.

I couldn't resist this Sahara shortly after Xmas at $299:
I was happy when I found it fit well enough in a spare Epi Elitist 335 case I wound up w/ previously.

I had it apart in a little under an hour of leaving the store w/ it checking to see if it would support vibrato w/o risk of damage (seems like it ought to) :

The pickup is pretty darn cool, I don't find it the most versatile but I really like the niche it seems to occupy. I'm loving it so far for kinda dirty surf/spaghetti western noodling and sorta quirky sounding crunch:

This thing feels pretty darn great and is a really fun one to play. I really kinda like the acoustic sound of it and it's got a nice volume level for noodling during a power outage or while hanging out w/ friends/family w/o feeling like you're performing. It's a nicely built guitar IMO and I think it would have been a decent value a little below the regular street price and a pretty great deal at $300.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Did you have to remove the neck screws to take it apart?

If so, how the hell did you get them out?

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm
Did you have to remove the neck screws to take it apart?

If so, how the hell did you get them out?
Yup, probably about 10 minutes of the tear down time was figuring out that I did in fact need to remove the neck since the machine bolts run through both the back and the centerblock of the top before mating w/ the nut inserts in the neck.

The bolts have got screw caps in them you should be able to pull off w/ your fingernail. After that it's just a regular phillips driver.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am

Musician's Friend has Jamesports for like $420 currently.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... 8542_52991

(Well the black one anyways.)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am

Baritones are out now with a lower price than the previous Island series - 26.75 scale

Westbury Baritone

Hampton Baritone