And here it is! Op Amp Big Muff RI

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: And here it is! Op Amp Big Muff RI

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 am

Two muff builders I rate very highly are Fredric here in the UK (I need to get their Super Unpleasant Companion because it's gnarly as shit) and the slightly more upmarket Wren & Cuff. I really regret selling my Box of War, it was incredible and felt really special.

I've seen secondhand Fredric muff clones go for the same price as secondhand modern EHX muffs. I'm not anti EHX, I have a Bass Muff and it's great (probably better and more useful than the new Russian RI).

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:29 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:51 am
So many people are building affordable clones of all the different muffs with better components (jacks/pots/switches at least) than ehx. Why in the world would anybody go to them instead of picking up a clone off eBay or reverb?
Price. Plain and simple. Most clones by Wren and Cuff, JHS, Stomp Under Foot, etc. are arguably made like tanks and the sort of effort put into them (especially by WC and SUF) is unparalleled. That said, that's a lot of money to pay if you are a casual Big Muff fan, such as myself. I am more than happy to pay 1/3 of the price of an expensive clone for the EHX version. Kit Rae, the guy who runs the best website for Big Muff information, has had his green russian reissue apart and has compared it to the real thing. He says EHX did it right. And when most online pedal sellers will give you 15-20% off on one...$65ish is a LOT better for my purposes than $185 and higher. There are people like Chicago Stompworks and other cloners that come in around the price of the EHX, but at that price why not buy EHX? I have the green russian and will certainly pick up the Op Amp Muff too.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am

It really captures those Alex Jones tonz.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

nucleardonut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nucleardonut » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 pm

lol. you guys just can't let it go, can you?

Can't wait for Trump to say his favorite guitar is the Jazzmaster. You fuckers will commit mass suicide. :P

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Let what go? I am missing the context that is referring to? Is it towards people who feel more comfortable buying name brand over small shop or custom builders? Is it about the insinuation that people who like name brand are some sort of cork sniffing group who don’t appreciate custom made clones? I don’t get the suicide post.

I don’t normally care what name is on it personally. I normally go after the sound I like from a pedal and then price next. I don’t see myself spending more on a hand built clone when I can get one for less from the original manufacturer. If the cost was the same, then I would probably go name brand for the warranty. Custom builders don’t always give warranty on their pedals. EHX does and that appeals to me. I have had several pedals have switches that crapped out. I was lucky that the builders repaired them for me, but that tends to happen with company sellers vs small individual builders. That is a generalization, but normally is true. I own quite a few custom pedals that are clones or similar to mass produced pedals. The price is what sold me on those. (Not what brand of capacitors and resistors they use, or the type of wires in it, or something like that.)

Recent example. I bought a clone of a Shredmaster pedal. I actually have three clones. Two 100% supposed copies and one higher gain one. What sold me is it was $50 plus shipping vs $200ish for an original. I take stabs at $50 clones a lot because even if they end up not being great, I am not out a lot of cash.

I have heard of people buying a clone to a/b and liked the clone the same and sold the vintage to pocket the extra cash. Most any modern pedal is likely to have more reliable components than the vintage ones. Plus if you are touring and your clone or reissue is stolen, you can pick up another easily. Getting a vintage replacement isn’t always a simple deal. For that reason I get why lots of people use Boss pedals. Most are fairly cheap, fit on a board easy and consistently, and are easily replaceable if you have somewhat modern versions.

I would enjoy trying this one out compared to my vintage ehx one. Would be cool to see how they work. The video sounded great to me. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am

Personally, I don't like how there's an entire market made of small "boutiques" building clones with weird names, fancy casings and an additional switch for a kidney. Other than that:

- EHX is cheaper
- EHX Is the real deal
- EHX is awesome

This leads to "why get a clone?" I mean, get a clone if you like the clone, period, not because it's more advantageous.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 am

nucleardonut wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 pm
lol. you guys just can't let it go, can you?

Can't wait for Trump to say his favorite guitar is the Jazzmaster. You fuckers will commit mass suicide. :P
"i will build a wall so my bloody valentine can do their next album in peace"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:12 am
The only way I can explain Smashing Pumpkins baffling and yet seemingly (at least on here) enduring popularity, is that they are a fabricated hoax propogated by the CIA. Mark my words...hundreds of agents are in on this,. I lack the stomach to watch Corgan skeewiddly away on that video but I'm sure anyone tougher or stupider than me will be able to see the the shadows of his Illuminati masters in the background.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm

leokula wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am
Personally, I don't like how there's an entire market made of small "boutiques" building clones with weird names, fancy casings and an additional switch for a kidney. Other than that:

- EHX is cheaper
- EHX Is the real deal
- EHX is awesome

This leads to "why get a clone?" I mean, get a clone if you like the clone, period, not because it's more advantageous.
Basic Audio makes a clone that's well worth the money. It's a Big Muff with a mids knob and toggles between a triangle and purple Ram's Head circuit, two pedals EHX has never rereleased. They also haven't rereleased the Red Army OD/Civil War muff.

CHILDISHGAMBINO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CHILDISHGAMBINO » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:42 pm

leokula wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:06 am

- EHX is cheaper
- EHX Is the real deal
- EHX is awesome

Why get a clone? Here's why: Until VERY recently literally everyone but EHX made decent Muffs. The hadn't made good Muffs since the 90's until the Green Russian reisssue. I haven't tried EHX in couple of years but the last pedals I tried from them sounded awful and had terrible quality. The enclosure felt like it was going to cave in. Maybe they've improved their quality now that they are making decent sounding pedals again but that is why people buy clones.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

MUff war....which is the best. Billy is so Gangsta in this vid with his sideways hat.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:46 am

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am
1. I had no idea that my original BM, from 1980 was an op-amp. I will never forgive my mother for selling it at a garage sale, whilst I was away at college.

2. The BM Op-Amp is, like, eighty bucks? How much are the clones and where could I find one?

3. Now I know why all the newer BMs don't sound right to me. I needs my Op-Amp.
Ouch. My mom sold a DOD Grunge and a Boss Flanger of mine so that isn't nearly as hurtful :D

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am

Mom also sold my Electric Mistress and My Frequency Analyzer. >:( :'(
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 am
Telliot wrote:
The only way I can explain Smashing Pumpkins baffling and yet seemingly (at least on here) enduring popularity, is that they are a fabricated hoax propogated by the CIA. Mark my words...hundreds of agents are in on this,. I lack the stomach to watch Corgan skeewiddly away on that video but I'm sure anyone tougher or stupider than me will be able to see the the shadows of his Illuminati masters in the background.

D
Ditto.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 am

Telliot wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 am
Telliot wrote:

D
Ditto.
Mike Matthews is one of the Lizard People. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.