Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 am

The Golden Filter - End of Times WHAT AN EP! All expense spared on the video, just how I like it. The dub is totally fucking killing, like they are slowly deep freezing the Patrick Cowley mix of I Feel Love until it goes all freezer vodka, The whole EP Is so great. The singer or one half of the Golden Filter is Penelope Trappes who recorded an album that would find itself on the very highest slopes of my end of year list if I had such a thing; Penelope One

Dungen - Achmed flyger (Prins Thomas Version 2) two four six eight motorik!

Click Click - Stay Out the Water I was flicking through the C's the other day and alighted on Click Click who I'd semi forgotten about. I used to love playing this out, it's great fun...well it's goth fun.

Click Click - Yakutska

Neutral Zone - Space Travel a lot of electronic musi an be a bit old and humourless, much like myself but cycling focussed blak wheel is...whisper it...fun.

Fatal Microbes - Violence Grows Honey Bane was only 14 when she sung this in 79 but the lyrics could be about today. Powered by a millionmegawatts of teenage tearaway.

Honey Bane - Guilty (Dub)

Honey Bane - Guilty

Rheingold - Fan Fan Fanatisch one of the youngest Shadowplay's very favourite songs at the moment. She feeds on the fun of it. When you ask her how she is she often comes back with a; 'Fan Fan Fanatisch'

Aeroplane - Whispers feat. Kathy Diamond I heard this coming out a senior citizens aerobics class. I was tempted to join, suh was it's disko powar!

Kathy Diamond - All Woman NO MUST RESIST THE AIR SLAP BASS

Róisín Murphy - House Of Glass (Maurice Fulton Remix) this is the kissing cousin of the above and also contains deep air slap bass quicksand. Picked it before and I'll pick it again, a big tune in the glitter flecked sections of the cursed house of Shadowplay.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am

Smagghe & Cross - interlude a motorik silver dream machine, when they fire up that wheezy organ accumulator i near lose my mind. Part of my current all Motorik running playlist Man Against Motorik.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 am

Nachthexen - Disco Creep DISCO CREEP DON'T DANCE NEAR ME! Most every woman I know loves this, having had their fill of Mr Disco Creep Esq. Great fun, though my mates kid played the seven like 20 times and I needed a bit of a lie down. I don't know anything about them, I just saw the artwork, I hope they are 14.

Blair French - Inland Island cool 10' of smooth balearic Stratus bassline goes dub exotica.

Regis – The Master Side (Version 1) whip cracking masterful techno minimalism. Blackest Ever Blackcountry

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 am

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHJIh7ycT4

William Tyler - Highway Anxiety

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biaGJ_4rEzE

AC/DC - Can I Sit Next To You Girl

better than than the version with Bon Scott

:)

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXrS6eKfjk

The Sound Defects- Theme From The Iron Horse

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUHJPTwClM

Watermelon Slim & the Workers - Devil's Cadillac

A new take on an old theme

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... VIzyqT05Oc

Mindi Abair - I Can't wait for Christmas

Yeah I know its early but its such a good tune

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr3Jp_aF1Ok

David Lindley - Mercury Blues

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 am

I've fallen out this thread for a bit, the records are kinda piling up and a few things I've wanted to post lack listening links.

Workshop - Navajo Blanket not new, well not new to me but sometimes on this forum 1990 is seen as 'new'. Essentially I am pulling a letter a day, marching to the relevant section and pulling something randomly. Essentially it's not unlike a Can outtake after some gene splicing between Damo and Malcolm. I was going to pick another track but no linky.

Virginia Wing and XAM Duo - Good Roads Fair this is an absolutely brilliant record.

Carmen Villain - Planetarium (Gigi Masin Alternate Mix) fathomless beauty, infinite swoon. The album this is derived 'Infinite Avenue' from is an absolute belter.

AMOR - Amnesia If Robert Wyatt made cosmic disko. I have this on my current running mix and it was totally taking me higher this morning when I was out running with the dogs in Pollok Country Park just as the sun was rising.

Drab Majesty - Oak Wood Kinda like a cross between John Foxx and New Order or a marginally more cheerful John Maus.

I considered an advent calendar track a day but there wasn't any interest the last time, however...

Van Kaye & Ignit - Happy Holiday a minimal topper for your synthetic tree.

I've subscribed to The Snowflake Christmas singles club for a few years, it's hit and miss but a bit of fun;

The Limiñanas with Pascal Comelade - The Curse Of Santa Claus

Now where's my eyeliner...

...ah found it!

My mate Rob was up for the weekend and spent a lot of time listening to my goth kollection. Rob and I have been pals since 1981 and we were laughing with our partners regaling them with the tale of how we went to rival schools and totally despised each other, despite not knowing each other, while being desperate to be friends. We were king goth in our own isolated and largely subjectless kingdoms and ridiculously involved in a big hair arms race. We only became friends when he came to a disko I hosted in a church hall that was so fucking empty of punters he had two choices, come and talk to the catholic goth or go home to his horrible father. He stayed and we've been friends ever since.

Play Dead - Poison Takes A Hold

Play Dead - Shine

Play Dead - Propaganda

UK Decay ‎– For Madmen Only

UK Decay - Werewolf

UK Decay - Stage Struck

khol for cats :ph34r:

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:30 am

Dean McPhee - Danse Macabre a BEAUTIFUL guitar player. I guess I might seem like I hate guitarists and bloody no wonder with all the rawking, noodling and fucking terrible hair but HAIL THE FOREST GODS if Dean isn't like some magiccal snake bite antidote that just washes all poison out your system. I read what he did on paper which is 'solo guitar compositions', I feared the worst, after all the sound of one man and a geetar is seldom either pleasant or worthwhile but Dean just fucking does it. The video is just prefect for this.

Waveform Transmission - V 2.2-2.3 vaporous interstellar drift for relaxing inbetween warp jumps. i feel asleep listening to this last night and only woke at 3am when a cat decided my head needed a live cat hat

Polypores - Ancient Information from a really great concept album concerned with our destruction of the planet channeled through a Ballardian lens. More excellent Polytechnic Youth.

Dust Witch - Mirage seven inches of gloaming prog horror synth to soundtrack the twin moons rise on your favourite imaginary planet.

The Sisters of Mercy - Burn :ph34r:

Mica Levi - Interlude 2 minty cool double ten soundtrack to (the artist) Phil Collins anime project.

Nocturnal Emissions - Down the sink I've had this for 30 odd years but I still jumped at the chance to buy the recent comp on Mannequin. It's fucking superb and this is wonderous filthy sperlunking that even caustic drain cleaner couldn't clean up.

Lynn Castle With Last Friday's Fire - Rose Colored Corner She was the barber to the Monkees among others and this is a Lee Hazlewood production. There's a comp I've ordered on Light In The Attic but it's not here yet so I just played her single (this is the bee).

Patrick Cowley - Surfside Sex some fruity bumpin' and grindin'

I am resistant to the idea of hereditary bands and didn't like the idea of Simon Jeffes son picking up the Penguin Cafe baton but I thinkl some of it is OK. Penguin Cafe - Half Certainty

Still lest we forget...

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Perpetuum Mobile if you don't know this by the title you will once you hear it. Back when these records were coming out I thought me buying them was clear evidence of my teenage European sophistication and or pretension.

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - The Sound Of Someone You Love Who's Going Away And It Doesn't Matter stone classic. I used to put this on mixtapes for ladyfriends, even if the title jars in that context.

D