Jaguar Toggle Switch and wiring questions

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
deviantkirby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Toggle Switch and wiring questions

Post by deviantkirby » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:57 pm

I’m having some noise issues in my Jaguar and would like to streamline the switching and wiring. I have already bought a switch plate for a 3-way toggle and I need to know which style of toggle to buy!! I believe a Gibson short and straight fits without modifications??
I’m planning on jettisoning the strangle switch as well. Right now that’s where the popping and noise seems to be coming from ( cards on the table, I soldered the switches and it was my first time so user error is definitely a possibility! ) and I really don’t use it. The guitar has no rhythm circuit at all either. Would love some help with the wiring!! Thanks for your time. Joseph

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Toggle Switch and wiring questions

Post by JVG » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 am

The short straight toggle is indeed the one you want. Get a good quality one, like a Switchcraft.

The wiring you're describing sounds like a telecaster wiring, except with a toggle instead of blade switch, so you should be able to find a suitable diagram on the web.

All the best!
J

deviantkirby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deviantkirby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks J!! I’m determined to become a better repairman for my own guitars. Looking forward to getting started with this project.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Here you go, my friend.

Only differences will be wire colours. In this diagram, black is "hot" and green is "ground", so substitute whichever colours apply to the pickups you're using. Same goes for the pot/cap values. Doesn't matter if you're using 1meg pots and a .022 tone cap, or whatever you like.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

deviantkirby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deviantkirby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks so much!! I ordered a Switchcraft toggle today. The strangle switch on mine seems to hold some sort of static charge and I may be crazy but it seems to change the sound after it pops?!?!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 pm

deviantkirby wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:44 pm
Thanks so much!! I ordered a Switchcraft toggle today. The strangle switch on mine seems to hold some sort of static charge and I may be crazy but it seems to change the sound after it pops?!?!
Glad to help.

Have you considered changing out the capacitor/rewiring it? Capacitors by nature hold a certain amount of charge. It shouldn't be auto-discharging, but if there's a charging-discharging cycle going on, it would probably have sonic implications, since the high-pass function of the capacitor only occurs when it is behaving normally (holding its charge). Your description makes me concerned that that's what's going on.

The output of guitar pickups is in the millivolt range, so it's not like this would be dangerous, but it sounds like either the capacitor is defective or something has gone awry with the wiring.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

deviantkirby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by deviantkirby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Wow man. That’s some really great information! I thought I was going a bit nuts hearing the change in the sound. It’s fine for 10 minutes or so then I pop it to get back to my normal sound. Would this cause issues with the volume pot? I had the wiring of the pot checked a couple months ago by a tech and now it’s making some odd sounds through the sweep. The cap is the original from the top portion of my Johnny Marr Jag. I plan on taking it out completely as I don’t use it. Just wired it up so it didn’t look crazy!