Dual Channel overdrive+fuzz

Everyone needs a stompbox.
idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dual Channel overdrive+fuzz

Post by idropinus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Mike S wrote:From what I've been told, The Ge4 Big Muff doesn't actually sound like a Big Muff. Have you looked at the EHX Hot Wax or even just a Boss DS-2 with a latching foot switch hooked up?
I don't really like the Hot Wax, while the Ds-2 is too simple, for that I'll just keep my Ts-9. I wanted something with more tone-shaping options.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 pm

elektrovac wrote:About your pedal quest, I got to think about the JHS 'Sweat Tea' which is a tube screamer into some kind of JCM8000 Marshall high-gain distortion. I played a TS10 tube screamer into a JC120 with my band decades ago and quite enjoyed that sound. Never tried the Sweat Tea myself, I have to say, so I don't know if the distortion is great or not.

The JHS Sweet Tea was, and still is, one of my main options. I think it's great, although it's kind of a "standard" sound.

But you know that there is a "crusade" against JHS from many people, so I was still thinking if it was only an "overpriced copied piece of sh*t" like someone said.
Last edited by idropinus on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am

idropinus wrote:
elektrovac wrote:About your pedal quest, I got to think about the JHS 'Sweat Tea' which is a tube screamer into some kind of JCM8000 Marshall high-gain distortion. I played a TS10 tube screamer into a JC120 with my band decades ago and quite enjoyed that sound. Never tried the Sweat Tea myself, I have to say, so I don't know if the distortion is great or not.

The JHS Sweet Tea was, and still is, one of my main options. I think it's great, although it's kind of a "standard" sound.

But you know that there is a "crusade" against JHS from many people, so I was still thinking if it was only an "overpriced copied piece of shit" like someone said.
Yeah, I am aware of that. Still some of his pedals seems to offer quite attractive options. I haven't any personal experiences with them, though, so I can't tell, really.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 am

elektrovac wrote:Yeah, I am aware of that. Still some of his pedals seems to offer quite attractive options. I haven't any personal experiences with them, though, so I can't tell, really.
And also, I've had an Ibanez Ts-9 as my "always on" overdrive for a lot of time now, and I wanted to change, so would be worth it to buy an expensive boutique pedal with a Ts-9 clone inside of it?

elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by elektrovac » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:05 am

idropinus wrote:
elektrovac wrote:Yeah, I am aware of that. Still some of his pedals seems to offer quite attractive options. I haven't any personal experiences with them, though, so I can't tell, really.
And also, I've had an Ibanez Ts-9 as my "always on" overdrive for a lot of time now, and I wanted to change, so would be worth it to buy an expensive boutique pedal with a Ts-9 clone inside of it?
It seems the Sweet Tea's TS circuit has some tweaks and options which sets it apart from your old TS7. The clean-mix control seems like a nice idea. This is what it says at the JHS site:

"The right side is our brand new Moonshine V2 which is a highly unique and massively tweaked version of the most famous overdrive ever created housed in a little green enclosure. The Moonshine V2 has the classic mid-heavy tones that you’d expect but with more gain, volume, and tones available than you ever thought possible. The Moonshine V2 has the same core tone as the Moonshine Version 1 but we have added a new “Clean” knob to blend in the perfect amount of clean signal with your overdrive signal."

- But then again, I have no idea if this is a good pedal in real life. Never tried it. But it concept-wise it seems cool, I think.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:40 am

I saw a lot of overdrives before writing this post, and the Sweet Tea was one of my favourite... Now we return here to it, should I call it destiny?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:46 am

Like others have said, getting sounds to play nice with a JC 120 is tricky.

Might be fun to get a custom build, but I saw that you need it now. Still, check these guys out. They can put just about any two circuits together.

PumpkinPieces
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PumpkinPieces » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:09 am

Mike S wrote:From what I've been told, The Ge4 Big Muff doesn't actually sound like a Big Muff. Have you looked at the EHX Hot Wax or even just a Boss DS-2 with a latching foot switch hooked up?
idropinus wrote:
PumpkinPieces wrote:EHX Germanium Big Muff? You can pick em up used for under a $100 real easy.
Mmm, it's not the sound I'm looking for, and I used a Big Muff for over 7 years, I wanted to change.
This is true, not really big muff sounding at all. Just mentioned it because its another two stomp split circuit pedal.

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 am

It's really too bad that no store that I know of regularly stocks the Deucetone. I know it costs almost as much as an original Univox Super-Fuzz, but it's well worth it for the versatility. It also looks like Reverb has them used for a fraction of the price. The only crappy thing is that the input/output sockets are reversed like on a Ge Fuzz Face, so plugging in both channels at the same time can be a pain (each side can be plugged in independently as separate pedals or together as a two channel pedal).

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:44 am

There are a couple of things I thought about mentioning earlier but others already did. Then I read about always on overdrive and almost jumped in again with a suggestion, but now that talk has turned to Tube Screamers, I'll toss this out there. Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It's better than that JHS pedal above that's trying to copy it. The company changed its name to Truetone a few years ago, but there are plenty of the V1 or V2 floating around.

For a bit more money and a bit more fuzz there is an Analog Man pedal that is a Rangemaster and a Fuzz Face in the same box. Hudson makes a similar pedal with a Tone Bender in place of the Fuzz Face. Tou have to work your volume knob and it's more of a vintage sound. I do the same thing with a Throbak Overdriver.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:There are a couple of things I thought about mentioning earlier but others already did. Then I read about always on overdrive and almost jumped in again with a suggestion, but now that talk has turned to Tube Screamers, I'll toss this out there. Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It's better than that JHS pedal above that's trying to copy it. The company changed its name to Truetone a few years ago, but there are plenty of the V1 or V2 floating around.
The Jekyll and Hyde is good, but I see it more with a Marshall to play the Strokes than with a JC120.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:Like others have said, getting sounds to play nice with a JC 120 is tricky.

Might be fun to get a custom build, but I saw that you need it now. Still, check these guys out. They can put just about any two circuits together.
That's very good thanks, but first I wanted to see if I could get a "non custom" one.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:30 pm

What about the HUNGRY ROBOT PEDALS HR [HG+LG]?

http://www.hungryrobotpedals.com/hr-hglg

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:57 am

really struggling to think of a dual fuzz/OD pedal. i wouldn't bother; just buy two pedals.

Closest I can think is a pedal Wilson Effects do/did which is a Fuzz Fuzz, Tubescreamer and Booster 3-in-1
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 pm

I own (and love) a Roland JC50, and I use old jazzmasters and telecasters, as well as an old G&L SC-2 and a 74 SG. I don't know if a dual pedal is actually the answer you're looking for. The TS9/JC combo is very very tiring, I know that feel. The EQD gray channel seems interesting, but the whole dual pedal thing is something I would be very careful about. And not every EQD pedal is great, so always try them first. I've had terrible experiences with the Hummingbird, Afterneath, Ghost Echo and a really old and rare Ghost Disaster. Never believe the hype.

For overdrives, I really like the Bunnydrive (a red llama clone) and the Crowther Audio Hotcake, which is very versatile. The MXR dist + sounds amazing through the JC circuits too, and you can easily score a vintage one for the same or less you'd be paying for a boutique-but-actually-shitty-JHS-pedal (sorry, had to say it ::) ). For fuzzes, I've been playing with a Zvex Octane III (univox superfuzz/shin ei clone) and an Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold (the "clone" of a distorted Sunn Model T) and it just kills.

Stay away from ts9 based pedals and fuzzface like circuits; they just sound shallow with an old JC. You should look into japanese circuits for fuzzes too, they always rip through transistors amps, think Jesus and Mary Chain tones. Rat type pedals always do the trick, for overdrive distortion and fuzz, actually. I'm sure anyone could tell you that there's nothing like a good RAT. And (again) you could easily score a vintage 90's Rat for the same or less you'd be paying for a boutique-but-actually-shitty-JHS-pedal. With a 90's RAT and a JC you can explore Pavement/The Feelies/alt90's territory.

I loathe the bluesy, bonamassa, eric johnson thing, and I've been avoiding it for ages. The search for a good tone on a transistor amp is worlds apart from a tube amp, but there are great things which I'm sure you already know :))