Any Supro 1622RT users

Make it loud here.
Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any Supro 1622RT users

Post by Snake Hips » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Looking for some feedback on this amp and if it is worth the purchase. Its 25watts, which I am hesitant about. Does this have the ability to disconnect from its 1x10 speaker and to drive an extension cabinet?

Stosh221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any Supro 1622RT users

Post by Stosh221 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 am

Don't know how helpful this will be, but I just purchased a Supro 1600, which I think is similar to the 1622. Same cabinet, same speaker, but no (R)everb and (T)remolo. Instead it has a second preamp channel that can be summed with the first to dial in quite a range of distortion levels. So maybe some applicable attributes relative to the 1622.

I've just playing this thing for 24 hours, but thus far I really like it. One's impression of amp voicing is I realize subjective, but to my ear it has a nice balance of treble shimmer and bass chunk. Way better than a Princeton Reverb reissue I tried a couple of months ago, which I found very nasal-y and disappointing. I've also slowly come to the realization that I just don't get on with Fender distortion. Hard to describe, but I find it unpleasant—grainy and harsh.

Back to the Supro, I like the simplicity of the single tone control. I was a little concerned about clean headroom, but for me no problems there. On the unstacked channel I can't imagine turning up much beyond 11 o'clock, and at that threshold it stays nice and clean (with single coils at least). Fit and finish are top notch. A tiny, light amp that sounds as big as I need it to.

The clincher for me was that Sweetwater was (and I think still is) selling the 1600s for $300 off—which basically puts the cost in Blues Junior territory.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Supreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously the limitation is the absence of the lovely Supro reverb and tremolo. For me the 1600 works because I like to keep my effects on the pedal board anyway. I can't imagine that I wouldn't like the similar 1622RT every bit as much.

Hope that's of use in your decision.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:38 am

It does not have a dedicated ext. out however you could disconnect the speaker plug and use a compatible cabinet if you wanted to push a 12 or 2 by xx type speaker set up.

I had one for about a year and I really really liked it. It can do cleans well at moderate volumes and crunches up nicely as you move up the dial. The reverb is f*cking amazing and the Tremelo is very good as well. Its light - so that helps. I only sold it to buy a Comet and thats a decision that I am still thinking about.

Anyway a couple of things to note about these new Supros:
  • Everyone bitches about the board mounted tube sockets - time will tell about that - but they seem to be built well.
    They are *very* finicky about the pre-amp tubes. Small changes in the tube set up can make a huge difference in the gain structure and the noise floor.
    They are dark. This is not a 'fendery' shimmery clean sound. I suppose midrange-y might be a better term. If you need to tame a trebley guitar these are the amps to do it with. Personally I turn the bass all the way down and adjust the treble to about 75% and fine tune with tone knobs
Also - The Supreme is a different beast. It uses the circuit similar to the Dual-Tone and is in the newer 'classic' chassis <taller and skinnier. That said teh Sweetwater blowout on these is super tempting.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 pm

+1 debating on this, or going with a HWac15 again. This deal seems really good. As long as it would have comparable clean headroom to a ac15 I'd be down. If it had more then all the better.

Any ideas?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Well, almost got the 1600, but found a used Thunderbolt for the same price plus $100 shipping. For what I do, I believe the larger speaker and wattage will be better. Plus, it will be ideal for my bass VI. Most likely NAD thread soon to share my thoughts

Kihtaristi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kihtaristi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 am

Supro RT is one of the best combos I've ever tried and that amps tremolo is just killer.

What you would like to achieve with separate cabinet? More speakers? Do you need to hear yourself better? I think that this amp is loud enough with a band and you can easily get amp stand for it if you need to hear yourself better.