NGD: 1965 Daphne Blue Mustang (with bonus Epiphone)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

NGD: 1965 Daphne Blue Mustang (with bonus Epiphone)

Post by Maggieo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:19 pm

OK, so it's been a bit since I got this beauty from Larry, but I finally got some good photos of it:

1965 Fender Mustang, September 12, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Last Sunday, I brought a bunch of my pedals into the local music shop, along with a rosewood/carbon-fiber Rainsong parlor guitar to do some horse trading. I went to the acoustic room and played a bunch of guitars, from a $3K Martin OO, to a cutaway Taylor, and a $8K Martin. But there was one guitar that I liked more than any of them. It just seemed to fit me and what I want from an acoustic:

Epiphone Zenith Masterbuilt Archtop Guitar, September 12, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Epiphone Zenith Masterbuilt Archtop Guitar, September 12, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

It's punchy and has good note separation and sustain. I reckon it'll get me closer to that Ribot thing I keep chasing.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD: 1965 Daphne Blue Mustang (with bonus Epiphone)

Post by Baldy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Your kitty kat seems to be trying to decided if the cable is attack worthy

Are you a person after my own heart or is your stang naturally super clean and shiny it looks great, I would love one of these.

Yeah it's a good point, fit and feel is mostly better than how much it costs... The wand chooses the wizard, which is true in many things.
Very nice setup, what type of tunage do you play on the stang?

EDIT: BTW, I like your enterprise collection too.
Last edited by Baldy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Baldy wrote:Your kitty kat seems to be trying to decided if the cable is attack worthy

Are you a man after my own heart or is your stang naturally super clean and shiny it looks great, I would love one of these.

Yeah it's a good point, fit and feel is mostly better than how much it costs... The wand chooses the wizard, which is true in many things.

Thanks, Baldy!

The Mustang is a refin, which was fairly recently done, so it's still very, very clean. But I do tend to fuss over my guitars.

I'm pretty much chasing a Marc Ribot kind of thing with all my guitars. Nowhere close, but it makes me happy, you know?

I was really surprised by how great the Epi Zephyr is.

Oh, thanks! I love my little starships. Childhood dream come true.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Guh, I want that Mustang... :-* :-* :-*

And nice! I hope you love the acoustic. I bet it sounds great! Excellent taste as always, Maggie. :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Still looks sharp! Original tuners and all.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Johno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johno » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Baldy wrote:Your kitty kat seems to be trying to decided if the cable is attack worthy

Are you a man after my own heart or is your stang naturally super clean and shiny it looks great, I would love one of these.

Thanks, Baldy!

The Mustang is a refin, which was fairly recently done, so it's still very, very clean. But I do tend to fuss over my guitars.

I'm pretty much chasing a Marc Ribot kind of thing with all my guitars. Nowhere close, but it makes me happy, you know?

Pah, I have a similar problem.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 am

I'm in an acoustic rut and that thing looks amazing. I might have to track one down.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:51 am

Larry Mal wrote:Still looks sharp! Original tuners and all.
They're great. I'm actually surprised and pleased at how good they still are after 52 years. The Klusons are slated for a Harmony that's going to get a makeover.

Baldy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Baldy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Baldy wrote: Are you a man after my own heart
Thanks, Baldy!

Oops, I may owe you an apology, I was admiring your stang, and looking at the ST collection, when I noticed your name, put two + 2 together and :fp: :-[ :D

Is the third ship at the back the zephram Cochran warp test ship? If it is... CUTE. where did you find them?
Sorry to detract from guitarage ;)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 pm

The Starship models are die cast from Eaglemoss, in the UK. They do a lot of SF, comix and horror merch.

I've been buying mine from The Flying Mule.

The Good Guys, September 06, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Bad Guys, September 06, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

I got an extra USS Equinox for my bedroom, where I have re-christened it the "U.S.S. Neil de Grasse Tyson," my own starship to command. :-[

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:I'm in an acoustic rut and that thing looks amazing. I might have to track one down.
You know, I was amazed by how amazing mine is. I've never heard an acoustic quite like it. The Zenith likes sharp chords and syncopation.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:26 am

Nice Mustang! My first vintage guitar was one just like that (and in similar condition). It was the hook that led to the start of this obsession.

Happy NGD Maggieo - may it wear well.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 am

You know, Maggie, if the Mustang is ever not doin' it for you... I know a guy who has a sexy black Strat for sale...

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:31 am

Very nice Mustang! I forgot how cool the (Fender?) "Bullet" string ends can look on a Mustang trem 8)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 am

StevenO wrote:You know, Maggie, if the Mustang is ever not doin' it for you... I know a guy who has a sexy black Strat for sale...
I was just watching Parcels on Conan and the singer/guitarist had a black, maple board Strat and I GASed for yours.