Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Make it loud here.
eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Post by eggwheat » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 am

The amp breaks up way before the speakers do.. around about 4-5....which after a ton of testing I still rate. In fact I'd say the stock are tuned pretty well to the amp, they suit it. I tried a few different kinds celestial green, eminence, EV 10M, vintage fender CTS...Nothing really made me go 'wow what an improvement'. I did like a combo of 1x EV 10m and 1x vintage CTS.. which gives you a very lopsided amp in weight!..overall I still like the stock speakers.

My amp guru guy, who designed a lot of the classic Laney gear in the 60's..reckons the changing the tubes is the way to change the amp significantly if thats what you want to do..it'll have more of a drastic impact with this particular amp.

Check out these kits for instance: https://www.watfordvalves.com/search.as ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which can significantly increase clean headroom.. then maybe get some Svetlana Winged C in there...bet that would be a huge change...

??

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:45 am

thanks eggwheat for the link
but in fact the vibrolux doesn't stay clean is it made to beak up earlier as i seen
i don't care for little crunch but i am not fan of always overdrived amp
for some songs i need really clear and powerfull clean sound ,i hated the treble focused sound that i have with my drri ,with no real bass and middle ,cause it made me desappears in the mix you only hear the hight that hurt your hears
i know it is not easy to say load or not but in the rehearsale we have a db meter and it said we play at 100 102 db (it is 4 on volume on my drri) do you have acces to db meter ? at 100 db will it stay clean ,got a little grit or be full overdrived ?

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:19 am

The new '68 series are made to breakup earlier them the '65. The stock speaker in the '68 Vibrolux Reverb (and '68 Princeton Reverb) are the cheapest Celestion available. They go well with the early breakup of the amp and they doesnt sound loud... So the amp is not really louder and breakuo aroud the same volume then a '65 DRRI. But, if you change the speakers for something more robust (like the Webers I bought), the amp will sound alot louder. The amp will still breakup at 4.5-5 but, at 4, it sound clear and loud. The downside of changing the speaker is that it ad nearly 4kg on the weight.

So in my last band, I had the same dilema has you. It was a surf-garage band and I needed a loud and clean amp. My Princeton Reverb at the time breakup too soon so I bought the '68 Vibrolux reverb. Still, the Vibrolux was not clean enough, so I changed the speaker. With the Webers, it had just enough volume before breakup to play clean and compete with my (loud) drummer. Honestly, if I could go back in time, I would not buy the '68 Vibrolux Reverb. I think a '65 Super reverb or '65 Twin reverb are more suit to clean-surf tone (remember that the '68 are meant to breakup sooner) and those amp are very cheap used (you can have a used Twin Reverb for less then 1k$). Tone-wise, in the volume I am now playing, the Princeton Reverb sonded better,
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:15 am

thanks then will not buy it ;)
will keep the supersonic head for rehearsale for the moment (i have no trouble with to have clean sound and at 4 i am already real load) ,i will take a cab they let use on the place normally marshall 4x12 that sound a less load than my supersonic enclosure 2x12 (but it is to much heavy to easy move )
will try to buy a silverface one real if i find one
to bad cause is tempting 40 w only 20 kg and more over i like the vibrolux channel on the supersonic (modeled from the real thing not this reissue) then i have think the headroom will be a little highter than the DRRI 65 (just miss a little with the Drri* but then i haven't it anymore maybe if i will put a hight rendement speakers i will be happy ? *where is the topic things you regret to sale ?)
for the superreverb or twin sorry but too much heavy 30 kg each time to move :fp: ,i live upstair without elevator (only one stair but each time i go with the supersonic cab i am already tired before ,the weight of a deluxe or vibrolux is just the good more is too much i prefer to bring my bassman head 25 kg and my cab at 17 kg ,it break less my back cause i can do it in 2 times

also i seen lot of supersonic amp suck but i have use it and even it is not bassman head that i love so much the sound
i think it is a great amp too bad the head miss the reverb but if fender made one with a tremolo + reverb it will be a really cool amp and versatile ,sure it is not really a sounding machine than a drri ,twin ect that you identify the sound it have no real personnality but it do the job really well ,good clean and stay clean loud in vibrolux mode ,in the bassman mod you beguin to have some good crunch ,and the disto channel sound not too bad also to make rock roll ,i have the head maybe the combo are different but for me it is really usable ,even at home if you use the effect loop cause if not it beguin to sound good at 2/ 2.5 in volume and it beguin to be loud (too much for appartement with neightbours)

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:46 am

Arthon wrote:I think a '65 Super reverb or '65 Twin reverb are more suit to clean-surf tone (remember that the '68 are meant to breakup sooner) and those amp are very cheap used (you can have a used Twin Reverb for less then 1k$).
According to both schematics(that I have), the Vintage Channel on the '68 Custom Twin Reverb is identical to the '65 counterpart.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:21 am

matbard wrote:
Arthon wrote:I think a '65 Super reverb or '65 Twin reverb are more suit to clean-surf tone (remember that the '68 are meant to breakup sooner) and those amp are very cheap used (you can have a used Twin Reverb for less then 1k$).
According to both schematics(that I have), the Vintage Channel on the '68 Custom Twin Reverb is identical to the '65 counterpart.
Except for the negative feedback... But it can be easily changed.
The Blues Cartographer

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Arthon wrote:
Sorry, but according to the schematics, negative feedback on the '65 and '68 TR is determined by the same 820 Ohm resistor. Instead on the CDR the negative feedback is half of the original by substituting the 820 with 1.5K resistor.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 am

matbard wrote:
Arthon wrote:
Sorry, but according to the schematics, negative feedback on the '65 and '68 TR is determined by the same 820 Ohm resistor. Instead on the CDR the negative feedback is half of the original by substituting the 820 with 1.5K resistor.
You can be right but it's not what have been advertised on the Fender website and all the ads I have read.
The Blues Cartographer

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

Arthon wrote: You can be right but it's not what have been advertised on the Fender website and all the ads I have read.
They also advertised the "Custom" channel to have a "Bassman tone stack" but in real life it's NOTHING even close to that...

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Just tested 5 mn the vibrolux custom in a store
Résult
At 4 at volume ok but not enough loud
At 5 not ok too much crunch and not enought loud also
Then not for me ,to bad cause seems cool at first

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:21 pm

matbard wrote:
Arthon wrote: You can be right but it's not what have been advertised on the Fender website and all the ads I have read.
They also advertised the "Custom" channel to have a "Bassman tone stack" but in real life it's NOTHING even close to that...
It'd be pretty weird for Fender to call it "Marshall-y".