Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Make it loud here.
Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender 68 Reissue Amplifiers Stock Speakers = Bad

Post by Arthon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:57 am

So, after I have tried the eminence cooperhead, ragin cajun, celestion ten30 (stock speaker), celestion greenback 10 and Weber 10F150T 50 watts, the Weber 10f150t stays in. They have the perfect balance between power, sparkle and bass. Both Vintage and Custom Channel sounds good with the Webers. The cooperhead was ok, but not the best, like there must be some speaker better to handle the Fender sound. The ragin cajun was similar to the cooperhead but louder and more robust. I really like the Ragin Cajun in a cranked Princeton Reverb; very garage rock. But in the Vibrolux 68, I wanted a something more clear and clean, so the Cajun didnt fit. The celestion greenback was okay, similar to the ten30 but with more low-mids and it handle overdrive better. If you want a better speaker then the celestion ten30, but in the same spirit, go with the celestion greenback 10.

I didnt tried a celestion g10n-40 that I have in my Orange 4x10. I didnt want to open my cab since the Weber sound really good. If i look at the spec, they should sound between the celestion ten30 and the greenback.

So Weber for the win! I still want to hear my amp with golds to compare, but i wont pay +500$ just to try.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

JCH519
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JCH519 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:12 am

Arthon wrote:I still want to hear my amp with golds to compare, but i wont pay +500$ just to try.
After having played mine with Golds for a little while I would now only recommend this upgrade to someone in a band who wants to retain the way these amps sound at a lower volume. If you play at home then there's no point in my opinion. The amp is no longer quiet as well. If I plug-in at night I have to dial back my volume with the tubescreamer because the amp won't go any lower... At low volumes the amp sounds great, but it still sounded good with the stock speakers with the volume that low (maybe not as warm).
I'm used to playing a Twin Reverb with the volume up at least half way and now I've found comparable volume and tone with the Vibrolux after upgrading to much better and more efficient speakers.
Gigging/rehearsing with a loud band = worth the extra money for the Golds
Not gigging/not rehearsing with a band = not worth it, unless you've got a lot of money to spend on random stuff..

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm

The Webers 10f150t are also very loud and would not recomand those for a home use. A better option would be greenBacks or webers with Light magnét.
The Blues Cartographer

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Now I'm tempted to put a spare THD 10" speaker in my Paisley PRRI.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 am

I went and tried the 68 custom vibrolux last week... a nice enough clean sound, but cranked it was all flub mud and farts. I dunno if it was just a fresh demo unit that needed more playing-in, or if those speakers are just wrong but it wasn't good and definitely not worth £1k. At least it was less noisy than any DRRI I've tried.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 am

These were too tempting to pass by..so I bought them to see what they sound like. He accepted £65 for the pair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1980- ... 2489838212

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 am

My never-ending quest for the Vibrolux Custom ’68 is not over. My project broke up this summer. The Webers 10F150-T I have in the amp are great for loud jams and clean sound. The bad side is that they are heavy (they ad 10 lbs to the amp) and they sound quite sterile for home playing, when I have to play on 2 on the volume knob in the second output. It doesnt have the touch-sensitiveness I like. Also, the adding weight, makes the amp difficult to move around to jams since I dont have a rehearsal place anymore. So, I tried a second time the originals Ten 30 speakers but still, I dont like them. They sound ok on the Custom channel but I really dont like them in the Vintage channel. I nearly always play in the Vintage channel. I even prefer the Webers a low volume then the Ten 30 on the Vintage Channel.

So, OSG, can you think of a lightweight, not expensive, american sounding speaker?! The cheapest and lightest available to me in Canada are the Jensen C10R (I never liked those speaker in a PRRI but could it be different in a 2x10 configuration?).

I sold my surf PRRI some month ago to fund my es-175; although I dont regret the guitar, selling this PRRI is my greatest gear regret. Maybe, I should just sold the Vibrolux and buy another PRRI, but I think it can be practical to still have a big amp in case I need the be loud again (I will keep the Webers just for that). I still have a vintage Vibro-Champ and a english Tiny Terror.
The Blues Cartographer

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 am

Based on what you have said, I would probably go with a DRRI or perhaps another PRRI and try one of those Weber speakers in the latter. As far as other speaker choices for the Vibrolux, perhaps look into WGS offerings. Personally, I prefer the voicing of the 65RI series over the 68 Custom series.......

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:17 am

But they don't do a 65ri vibrolux!

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 am

I would think either the vintage vibro-champ could be good enough for home, or you could focus your search to a speaker cab for the champ. Maybe a cute little 1x10 or 1x12 or a replacement speaker for the champ would be a better home solution, but that's even probably just if it would for some reason simply feel a little better to keep spending money. :P (no judgement, it happens)

Just to continue with creative solutions..maybe a cart would be better than new speakers for the vibrolux for the weight problem. You're at best going to reduce the weight by what 5 lbs? 7? The more you move it, the stronger you'll get. And you wouldn't have to risk new speakers that maybe won't even work as well. Lol, just move it from one end of the room to the other every day, and you'll have a lighter amp in no time. :D

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:44 am

So, I thought about this for two days and I decided to reinstall the orginals speaker. Yeah, they dont sound as good as the Webers, but they are lighter and quieter. They makes the amp easier to carry around to jams and make the amp somehow more versatile with a light drummer. It was a little bit like throwing cash out of the window to buy other speakers for a home/jam application since I alreay have two amps that I can play at home (Tiny Terror and Vibro-Champ) and the Webers sound really good if I start another band project.

The thing is I cannot make the Vibolux Reverb sound like a Princeton Reverb. I can throw alot of money in the Vibrolux, but at the end, it still wont be a Princeton Reverb. My only solution is to save cash, and buy another PRRI (vintage are too expansive in Canada). I am thinkin about selling the Vibrolux, but it's cool to have a loud clean amp sometimes.

jdr1014, if I change my mind and buy speakers, I will definitly try the WGS. They seem better then the jensen for what I read on internet.
Mechabulletbill, they should make the Vibrolux '65 instead of the Super Reverb since vintage Super Reverbs are easier to find and cheaper then vintage Vibrolux. I prefer the '65 series; I have no use for the Custom channel on the '68.
Rumfoord, the Vibro-Champ is plenty enough for my appartement. It's my living room amp. I still want to play my Vibrolux sometimes for the reverb. It's my basement amp (where 80% of my guitars are) with the Tiny Terror. I also have a plank with casters to move the amp aroud, but it dont help me moving the Vibrolux from my basement to my car! The diffence between two jensen c10r and my webers is nearly 10 lbs (and 7 lbs with the original celestion speaker). It make a difference.
The Blues Cartographer

doctorock78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doctorock78 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Try the Weber Signature Ceramics. They sound wonderful and not too loud

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:But they don't do a 65ri vibrolux!
There was a blackface model. Not sure if you can still get them, but it's probably what he's referencing.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:33 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
MechaBulletBill wrote:But they don't do a 65ri vibrolux!
There was a blackface model. Not sure if you can still get them, but it's probably what he's referencing.
The "modern" Blackface Vibrolux was also a Custom. It was base on the Vibroverb reissue. It was meant to breakup early and had some noise issue. It sounded nothing like a vintage Vibrolux.
The Blues Cartographer

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:01 am

i don't have the opportunity to try the vibrolux 68 custon reverb ,but it feed my need i think ?
much power than a deluxe reverb 65 who beguin to break up in a bad way to my taste at 4 and beguin to be ice piercing treble
i play surf and i need a big clean sound ,for grit i have some od
i have a bassman 100 head and a supersonic 60 head ,but i miss the trem of my drri 65
the bassman is my amp to play live no worry but i am searching something more friendly movable to go at rehearsale
and the vibrolux seem to be what i need only 40 lb (my 2 head have the same weight more or less)

for the user's with the stock speaker will it have a clean sound at band volume rehearsale ? or will it break up too soon ?
last time at rehearsale i have the chance to play a fender blues deluxe tweed , the sound was not bad(not totaly my taste but i can't say bad) and for only 40 w it was really powerfull ,i have play it a 3 volume and 3 at the master
how the vibrolux play with 4 or 5 at volume still clean or will it beguin to crunch ? does it fill the space and can be used with a loud drummer at 4 or 5 ?
how is the headroom ? will it sound louder than drri or will it break at same level ?sound thin or sound big ? does it have some presence or beguin to desappears in the mix bass drum ?
i miss my drri but it was not enought powerfull at 3 it is ok but past 4 it break up too much to my taste and be too much edgy (i use a 63 reverb or a surfy bear,and jazzmaster )
i know i have to try it but the store who have one is far and i don't think i could try it really loud like at band level
my supersonic head sound good but i miss the trem and with a cab it beguin to be heavy to move 30 lb head and 34 lb for my 15 inch cab or 66 lb for the supersonic cab (heavy as 5 horse this thing :fp: sound good but too much heavy )
after it is for use it at home too ,but as i read no trouble ,but i don't want to be dissapointed after buy and find it doesn't feed my need cause i will move the supersonic for it (i can have too much amp ,one gone ,one new )