John Wetton Appreciation Society

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

John Wetton Appreciation Society

Post by daemon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:46 am

So I've been interested in Prog Rock since I was a kid back in the 70s, particularly Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Rush, ELP and Pink Floyd. The album covers and the complex density of the music presented a mystery that intrigued me. I knew there were are a lot of incestuous relationships in this scene (as evidenced below), but I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know who John Wetton was until he died earlier this year (despite having heard his music countless times). King Crimson's "USA", for instance, has been one of my favorite live albums for a while now. His voice rising above that thundering fuzzed out bass is a thing of beauty.

Since I found out who he was, I've been digging into his other projects, including U.K., which I had never even heard of. If you hadn't either, check out Danger Money.
Here he is rocking some Genesis in 1996 with Steve Hackett: Firth of Fifth
One of King Crimson's best: Lark's Tongues In Aspic Pt II
Uriah Heep: Return To Fantasy
And then, of course Asia. Given his legacy I think we can all forgive his forays into 80's pop: The Heat Goes On

In summary, John Wetton was awesome and I'm sorry I didn't know who he was before he was gone...RIP.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: John Wetton Appreciation Society

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm

If you don't have King Crimson's Red, run out and get it now!!!

Wetton was one hell of a bassist and singer.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

He ruled the bass and the voice! KC's Red for sure. The first UK album too.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Maggieo wrote:If you don't have King Crimson's Red, run out and get it now!!!

Wetton was one hell of a bassist and singer.
I LOVE Red! The Road to Red box set was pretty amazing. The live shows were impressive.
We are merely moving shadows.

rkharper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rkharper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 am

Red is in my top 5 best list!!!!

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am

I'm not a prog rock afficionado at all -- terra incognita, really -- but King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black is an amazing album that I've been listening to since junior high (long time ago). His singing (especially) and playing on this is remarkable. 'Trio' is an amazing and sublime pastoral rock masterpiece -- approaches classical composition, if not betters it. 'The Night Watch' is splendid, as well.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Tafarel wrote:I'm not a prog rock afficionado at all -- terra incognita, really -- but King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black is an amazing album that I've been listening to since junior high (long time ago). His singing (especially) and playing on this is remarkable. 'Trio' is an amazing and sublime pastoral rock masterpiece -- approaches classical composition, if not betters it. 'The Night Watch' is splendid, as well.
Thanks for the tip, I will have to check that out.