Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:13 am

All the Beatles chat made me think of this. Obviously not the musi but because for me the primitive version is 'the version', the version on Micro Phonies being timid and even when this exact version made it to a compilation, there was still something in that manky flexidisc that defied any sort of Henry Higgins cleaning up for polite society. You NEED the sandstorm crackle and the floppy warble, anything else just won't do,

Cabaret Voltaire - Over & Over ( '82 Flexi Version )

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:10 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:32 am

Nicolette - No Government (In The Biosphere) (Biosphere Remix) weirdly Geir slightly circled back near this territory on Black Mesa.

Plaid - Extork (ft.Nicolette)

the real super gem on this album is however Rakimou which is burnished perfection

The Modern Art - Oriental Towers I've had this for a long time as the original tape but I just bought it in black format. Kinda betwixt The Cure and Dif Juz. :-*

Modern Cosmology - C'est Le Vent new swirly and romantic Laetitia Sadier 10' side project. Oddly nearly the same name as her good friend Jane Weavers new elpee.

Lisa Knapp - Lark in the Morning a peculiar little album this, I'd probably reather have a 'proper' Lisa Knapp record since I think Hidden Seam is a bit of a masterwork but that voice...she's surely one of the fair folk and would charm the birds from the trees. Strictly speaking it's not May anymore but it took a while to get here.

Lisa Knapp - Bedfordshire May Day Carol I'm going to learn to play this so I can bedazzle (not really) the village when we go away for the summer.

Lisa Knapp - Hidden Seam I wanted to pick Seagiver but no linky unless you have Spotify. Just so rousing to me.

Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation - Rainbow Lollipop Redux Cherrystones redued to a brutalist post punk wooden legged rhumba by the master cratedigger.

D

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:55 am

thegumbootman wrote:Perfume Genius - Queen
That's a great song indeed. You might be interested in Hannah Peel's music box cover version or 'Rebox' as she calls them.

Hannah Peel - Queen

In related news; Hannah Peel - 'Sunrise Through The Dusty Nebula' part of Hannah's Mary Casio persona where she has written a suite for analogue synthesizers and traditional 29 piece colliery brass band! Can't wait to see this show in August and for the record to turn up. I'm so happy Hannah is getting recognition and picking up so many fans these days, I've been a massive fan since I first picked up the Rebox seven.

so...Hannah Peel - Sugar Hiccup

and that then got me digging out the amazing Fabricstate EP which is IMO possibly peak Hannah (so far).

Hannah Peel - Silk Road

Hannah Peel - Silk Road live session version probably worth watching just to ogle the AMAZING gear belonging to Benge from Wrangler/John Foxx and the Maths/solo.

T.A.G.C. - Dog Star a classic record for Tribe Shadowplay and a perfect opportunity for made up tribal dancing.

Orbital - New France (feat. Zola Jesus) I heard this drifting out a bodypump class a friend of mine was running from the local church hall. The video makes me weep like Teeny Tiny Tears.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:30 am

^ Enjoyed the Hannah Peel stuff, thanks for the links.

Following the sidebar took me to this interesting (if faithful) version: God Only Knows: Hannah Peel & Laura Groves with the Pin-Barrel harp

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:43 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:^ Enjoyed the Hannah Peel stuff, thanks for the links.

Following the sidebar took me to this interesting (if faithful) version: God Only Knows: Hannah Peel & Laura Groves with the Pin-Barrel harp
Yeah that sounds absolutely beautiful. One of the things I love about Hannah is that despite being classically trained up the wazoo she has this beautiful natural slightly imperfect voice with a nice northern tinge.

One thing about Hannah is that she is by far the nicest pop star I've ever met, she was amazing with my kids and not in that trying to be amazing way but just genuinely lovely and encouraging them to stay in touch. She's doing some great work in relation to Alzheimer's too, firstly her last album which was about her Granny losing her memories and genuine with it, not your usual crass pop star paying lip service and then she did this music for Santa Forgot from Alzheimer’s Research UK. To be honest if you've lost someone to dementia Awake but Always Dreaming is a hard listen if you've lost someone to dementia but I'm really happy it found an audiene.

Santa Forgot from Alzheimer’s Research UK

D

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:32 am

Tom Waits - Romeo Is Bleeding

Tom Waits - Such A Scream

The Sleepy Jackson - Good Dancers < The singer from Empire of the Sun's old band. Rediscovered this song recently.
shadowplay wrote:
thegumbootman wrote:Perfume Genius - Queen
That's a great song indeed. You might be interested in Hannah Peel's music box cover version or 'Rebox' as she calls them.

Hannah Peel - Queen
That's pretty neat. I'll check out some of the others you've posted later too.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Brian Reitzell feat. Debbie Harry - Tehran 1979 OK it's a full on pastihe but it's still good.

Penelope Trappes - Gravel Mouth absolutely beautiful album from one half of The Golden Filter. The vocal tracks remind me of a more elegant Kate Wax with a hint of Snow Ghosts and the piano led intrumentals have a beautiful Autumnal beautiful TMC quality and also make me think of the amazing Nooten and Brook reord.

Penelope Trappes - Puppets

Penelope Trappes - Gone

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOvbCPS2EM

Holly Throsby - What I Thought of You

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0QsjIflZw

Explosions in the Sky - Trembling Hands

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:02 am

Ancient Methods - Swallow The Screw (feat. Azar Swan)

Ancient Methods - The Standards Will Come And Go (feat. Huren)

Ancient Methods - It Won’t Take Me (Feat. Tropic Of Cancer) woo... shade dwelling Monastic Donna Summer

Ancient Methods - Andromeda (feat. Zanias) Coil referencing lyrics

Oh BOY the new Ancient Methods is incredible and their first vocal EP too! I comes at you like the Aligator on the sleeve and doesn't let go. Vocally it's three beauties and one feral beast (sorry Huren), not that the Huren track is isn't great and who doesn't love feral EBM but the other three tracks are luminous gems. I love Topic of Cancer, Azur Swan and Zanias/Keluar/Linea Aspera/Alison Lewis or whatever she calls herself these days and this doesn't dissapoint.

Lisa Knapp and Graham Coxon- Searching for Lambs Such a beautiful folk song and I don't even mind the pleasingly exsanguinated Coxon singing (kinda a mildly more mellifluous P-Orridge). I play and sing this quite a lot, unfortunately it's makes me terribly melancholy.

Shirley and Dolly Collins- A Meeting - Searching For Lambs the Mistess at work.

Lisa Knapp - I Wish My Love Was a Cherry just Lisa and her banjo making this traditional after AJ Lloyd pure hypnotic magic. One of our great singers IMO.

Emika - Letting Go from her symphony.

D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:54 am

^ Nice singing from Lisa and Graham. I'm steeling myself to listen to one with banjo accompaniment.

What's an apt choice for the summer solstice? Of course "As I walked out on a midsummer's morning...." Fairport Convention - Banks of the Sweet Primroses

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:^ Nice singing from Lisa and Graham. I'm steeling myself to listen to one with banjo accompaniment.

What's an apt choice for the summer solstice? Of course "As I walked out on a midsummer's morning...." Fairport Convention - Banks of the Sweet Primroses
Do not fear she's just plinking the banjo, almost like a dulicimer.

There's an album called Summer Solstice by Tim Hart (who could really fucking play) & Maddy Prior and I love the version of Serving Girls Holiday on it.

Bring us in Good ale is a good song on that too but I see that more as a winter song.

My solstice song would be Coil - Bee Stings

Here's one for those is the hot regions of the UK today. Walls - Heat Haze I always think this is a cool way to have an MBV influence while forgoing the floppy fringed bouncy indie usual an dit's always first on the summer playlists. closely followed by some Sufi (AR Kane aftergroup).

Sufi - Lover

Sufi - Lostaday which you can't seem to play in the UK

D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 pm

A summery sound for the middle of winter down here

Have you got your hippie hat ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzsvWbgMaUA