Setting up the home, then gigging later.

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
CastrosfriendChe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Setting up the home, then gigging later.

Post by CastrosfriendChe » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 am

Was hoping ppl with knowledge can fill in the gaps for me.
I can map out what I want to achieve, what gear I've got, what gear I'm currently looking at.
Perhaps you can let me know what you think, what works, what doesn't, perhaps what additional gear I'd need, to do what I want to do.
I'm a noob when it comes to recording/performing. Naturally any help is much appreciated.

My guitar setup is:

Offsets > pedalboard > 59 Bassman RI and about to acquire a lovely green Hot Rod Deluxe to finally go stereo!
My intention is to buy a pair of Rode NT55 Multi-Pattern 1/2" Condenser Mics.

I'm looking at the Presonus StudioLive AR12 USB 12-channel Hybrid Performance & Recording Mixer to connect those mics to.

Studio monitors I'm looking at a pair of KRK V8 S4 Powered 8" or perhaps Yamaha HS8 8" Active monitors. Maybe a sub in the mix would be nice.
Still have to look at which recording software I'd use on the computer.

Vocal mic, looking at the Rode NT2000 Seamlessly Variable Dual 1" Condenser.
I think I want to have a second (bench-top) pedalboard to have the mic hooked up to, then have it go to the mixer.

I've also got a microKorg and a couple of the Roland Boutique boxes, the 03 and 09. Drums and bass.
I guess link them up to the mixer...

So in theory, I'd have my guitar, vocals, and synths all at the ready to record all at the same time if need be. Yeah?
If there's something wrong with the above picture, please let me know. It's still early days.

I'm going for the one man band approach. So multiple looping pedals etc.

If I can get my desired outcome with the above, or with appropriate modifications...
I want to move into the live presentation of music.

Again, still out of my depth on this one.

Long story short, I'll be attempting to gig around the local nursing homes. Two fold, I get to work on the art of performance and two, it's a good chance to do some volunteer work. It also means that equipment wise, I'd have to bring everything. What is everything?

In theory or rather in my head, I imagine that my guitar amps don't need to be mic'd up, they should suffice on their own.
Unless I wanted to record these adventures I guess.
The venues would be small and intimate, I could even go one amp.
What do I do with the vocal mic? oh yeah need to purchase a dynamic mic.
Connect it to the bench-top effects board then into the mixer...then...see about purchasing a little PA system/speakers?
Is that it, equipment wise, then the worlds my oyster?

Oh yeah cables, gotta buy cables...and mic stands lol and I feel like I'm lacking midi capabilities...
sure I can link my Korg and Roland gear together...but how would I link that gear up to record? 1/4 inch cables into mixer? Or Midi?
Do I need to buy some kind of midi box/interface...if so does that sort of thing link into the mixer or the computer via USB?

If that hasn't been too confusing, and you've got any input, the good/bad/or ugly...
Well may a thousand baby lambs be saved from the slaughter in your name :)

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setting up the home, then gigging later.

Post by InLimbo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:15 am

I think you're home rig has a pretty solid foundation, but if you're playing intimate gigs, one-man-banding it out in public, I think hauling all of that shit around will be a pain in the ass, not to mention overkill. Plus getting it all those instruments setup and playing nice with each other wouldn't be a particularly easy thing to do.

If I were to do something like that live, I'd use a up laptop running Ableton and something like a Focusrite 6i6 or 18i8 interface. As far as instruments are concerned, you could have your guitar and vocals running direct into the I/O and passing through Ableton. For guitar, use something like Guitar Rig as a VST and something like a Line 6 Shortboard MKII as a "pedalboard" controlling your effects via MIDI (USB). For your synths, use software synths like Analog (super powerful) that comes with Ableton. Other VSTs could be used as well. As far as controlling the synths, something like a Novation SL MKII would be ideal, since you can easily flip between instruments it's controlling and among default Ableton features. For drums, you could pre-program / pre-record the beats and use something like a Novation Launchpad to control them (in fact, I think Max For Live allows you turn the launchpad into a sequencer). Also, Ableton has a fantastic default looper as well.

In the end, what all of this does is put's everything in one basket, all of it being controlled by Ableton. This means that you won't have any issues with tempo syncing loopers and synths and drum machines, etc. Recording would be easy as well, and you would be recording exactly what you'd be hearing through the PA. Hell, with this, you don't even need a mixer.

It's be a lot easier to packup too; just a small PA, laptop, I/O, guitar, and two controllers, plus, like, less than 10 cables.