Catfish Collins' 1976 B&B Jazzblaster - Bootsy's Rubber Band

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Catfish Collins' 1976 B&B Jazzblaster - Bootsy's Rubber

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am

I was just having this conversation last night with someone..and i might make this into a new thread:

Isn't it weird that you can like numerous bands that all claim bands you strongly distain as major influences?

So many bands i like love Led Zeppelin, or the Who, or the Rolling Stones, and i really can't be bothered.

EDIT: yeah, this is just gunna be made into a new thread. Keep on with the funk!
Jesus

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri May 19, 2017 11:54 am

I love Sly and the Family Stone.

But, of all the early Funkadelic albums, all of which are great, "Let's Take It To The Stage" is pretty underrated. That's where "Get Off Your Ass and Jam" comes from, but it's all pretty killer (a couple of clunkers on it).
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Fri May 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Yeah, gotta check the Funkadelics' albums out.

If you like them you very well may like Childish Gambino's newest album, " Awaken, My Love! ". To me, it sounded like an acid rock version of Parliament... which I now know exists. :D
Jesus

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sat May 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Maggot Brain is one of my favorite records. Eddie Hazel was an amazing player. I agree about the Childish Gambino record. It really captures the vibe of Sly & the early Funkadelic records. I was very impressed with it.
We are merely moving shadows.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat May 20, 2017 1:51 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
mgeek wrote: I consider myself a Who fan, but they are a singles band...
I feel exactly the same way about The Rolling Stones
You're not alone, either of you. Only The Beatles, Ray Davies, Syd Barrett and, er, Roy Wood had the songwriting chops to fill whole LPs with wonderful songs in them days, and it took 2 out of those 4 a good few LPs to hit their stride. The Zombies merit a special mention for only needing one dummy run with an album full of (mostly) dross before striking the motherlode with Odessey & Oracle.

I'll raise the 'ducking for cover' stakes considerably by admitting that I find James Brown utterly tedious. I tried following one of those clips above and, sure enough, couldn't stand more than about a minute, if that. As a lover of the Motorik thrust I was wondering if I could enjoy the backing tracks without his horrible grunting and yelping, but I think it's actually the chord progressions I find really depressing.

(Ducks for cover!)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Nah, you better forget about the backing tracks standing alone, I think. James Brown is probably to be considered another instrument rather than a singer sometimes. He's the show, the driving force that everything else swirls around.

I'm not saying you are going to like this, or it'll change your mind or anything, but it'll show you what I'm talking about. It's worth bearing in mind how new all this stuff was... it's not like there had been James Brown type stuff before him, he basically made all this shit up as he went and more or less created a genre of music, and was a powerhouse of a performer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVAWD0FF3cY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 am

rank wrote:Maggot Brain is one of my favorite records. Eddie Hazel was an amazing player. I agree about the Childish Gambino record. It really captures the vibe of Sly & the early Funkadelic records. I was very impressed with it.
I'll have to check that one out; that album cover alone had me interested. Yeah, Childish really switched the game up with that album. Come to think about it, his cover is almost reminiscent of the Maggot Brain cover too.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote: You're not alone, either of you. Only The Beatles, Ray Davies, Syd Barrett and, er, Roy Wood had the songwriting chops to fill whole LPs with wonderful songs...The Zombies merit a special mention for only needing one dummy run with an album full of (mostly) dross before striking the motherlode with Odessey & Oracle.

I'll raise the 'ducking for cover' stakes considerably by admitting that I find James Brown utterly tedious. (Ducks for cover!)
That's a really interesting though, about the solid album things. Could that be because singles were the focus back than? Oh, I do love the Zombies. And even the Hollies; though, again, a singles kinda group.

Nah, I also find James Brown quite tedious. After 2-3 songs you kinda get the idea. Which is why I always liked the JB's slightly more. Unless you're in the mood Parliament can wear on your too, but I much prefer Parliament to most any other funk act of the day. I say it like that because Jamiroquai may or may not be an edge above for me.
Jesus

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 21, 2017 5:23 am

I absolutely love James Brown, especially his Payback era stuff.

The solid albums observation is a good one. If I had to add to this I'd have to say that Neil Young (probably my all time favourite singer-songwriter) has so many killer albums under his belt but, even though I'm a huge fan, I'd struggle to name 5 of his singles.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:47 am

I wonder if Catfish used the palm wah or fuzz from the Ultrasonic on any recordings? Do any of you guys know?

I'm a massive James Brown and Funkadelic fan . Not as much of a P-Funk fan.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Sun May 21, 2017 5:53 am

julius2790 wrote:I wonder if Catfish used the palm wah or fuzz from the Ultrasonic on any recordings? Do any of you guys know?

I'm a massive James Brown and Funkadelic fan . Not as much of a P-Funk fan.

How did I get this backwards?! Haha I have no idea, but when he stepped forward in that one clip he definitely didn't have anything on the floor, so maybe?
Jesus

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Sun May 21, 2017 5:54 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:I absolutely love James Brown, especially his Payback era stuff.

The solid albums observation is a good one. If I had to add to this I'd have to say that Neil Young (probably my all time favourite singer-songwriter) has so many killer albums under his belt but, even though I'm a huge fan, I'd struggle to name 5 of his singles.

Exactly. The Payback era is top for me too.
Jesus

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun May 21, 2017 7:10 am

thisisnickpaige wrote:Could that be because singles were the focus back than?
In the mid-'60s it was often the case that LPs didn't feature singles that had been released previously, and singles weren't typically culled from a group's last LP for months afterwards (though tons of EPs featuring 4 tracks off a given album got released). I don't think this was some sort of edict from on high that everyone followed, but the music biz then was generally far faster-moving than it is now and it seems like the bands were maybe more prolific and always keen to move on and get their next new song out to the public.

Singles were definitely a focus if not the focus; in the '60s LPs were considered an expensive luxury by most record-buyers (hence the cheaper, condensed versions as EPs) and, until songwriting by the artists became the norm, making LPs essential purchases for die-hard fans, were often kind of after-thoughts by artists and companies alike, full of filler in the form of well-trodden cover versions recorded in a hurry before the bubble burst.

Hence the perception that such-and-such were 'a singles band'; the bands, the fans and the record companies all favoured the cheaper discs up to the point where the bands weren't satisfied with spending a day in a studio reeling off highlights from their live set any more, because they preferred to focus on their own material and demanded the time it took to do it justice.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun May 21, 2017 8:14 am

julius2790 wrote:I wonder if Catfish used the palm wah or fuzz from the Ultrasonic on any recordings? Do any of you guys know?.
I'm not sure about studio recordings but you can hear the fuzz circuit on the live album, Sex Machine, released in 1970. It's only slight but it's there.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.