NAD. For me, a rare occurrence for sure...

Make it loud here.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

NAD. For me, a rare occurrence for sure...

Post by zhivago » Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 am

...I had one about 10-12 years ago when they came out...when I saw this one on eBay and from a seller in Europe I jumped on it.

It is sparkle, for god's sake! :D

It arrived this morning, and thankfully I have the day off. :-*

ZVex Nano Amp...1/2 watt of raging tube saturation!! 8)

Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD. For me, a rare occurrence for sure...

Post by Despot » Thu May 11, 2017 2:28 am

That is pretty cool looking (I love the painted control 'labels' on these).

What does it sound like Yannis? Is it worth using or a bit gimmicky?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 am

Yannis.... I have a blue one from about 10 years ago... great little amps.

The series (vintage.. whatever) of mine takes a bit to "start up" if the temperature is too cold... so I always make sure the room temp is reasonable... just a quirk with the era of my one.. maybe yours as well ?

Here's mine with its own anvil case

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 am

I had no idea you had one as well David! :)

Mine seems to be ok for starting up. It actually came with the fan replacement kit, so I may try that out over the weekend.

Kev, while it looks like a toy, this is very much a real amp. It is also very expensive new, but I got a screaming deal on this one (about £160 and it is mint condition). For this price it is definitely worth having around. Mine is a 2003 model.

I spent the past hour playing with it, plugged into the speaker of my Matchless Lightning.

It is very much like I remembered it...clean-ish till about 9 o'clock, then as you turn up it gets more and more responsive to picking. If you like your cleans with a bit of grit (like I do), this is a very good option for playing at home.

It is still pretty loud after 12 'o clock (depending on your settings, as they affect tone and volume), so an attenuator would probably complete the package. I may try my Lightlight Jr with this. :o :)

I have an old Celestion Gold 12" speaker at my parents' place in Athens...maybe next time I'm there I'll bring it to London and make a cabinet for this Nano with a Nightlight Jr on there as well.

It loves my pedals...I had my board plugged in and everything sounded great. The one thing that I didn't like though, is that with the bright switch on, it picked up some weird oscillations from my Echoczar (when the pedal is on, of course).

No biggie though. You can hear it when you don't play.

I have been journeying through the past lately and picking up a few things here and there that I've had before and really liked to have back. This is one crossed off my, admittedly, short list. (My last purchase before that was a 2-chip Maxon AD900).

I'll keep this little amp. I looks so cute and it even sparkles.

If you can get one used for under £200, jump on it...it is not a toy at all...more like a mini Plexi. Every apartment should have one. And a Nightlight Jr! :D :-*
Resident Spartan.

crankheart
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crankheart » Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 am

I used to have one of these when I lived in an apartment, It didn't sound worlds away from a crunchy AC30 tone when the volume was set around 10-11 o'clock, from what I remember.

I had a Matamp MiniMat around the same time and both are definitely things I regret selling - gonna need to buy a bunch of small amps again, I guess!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 11, 2017 7:05 am

Nice. That baby flight case is adorable too.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Thu May 11, 2017 9:19 am

I have one of the blue Myrold painted ones too, haven't used it much, but I don't really want to let it go.

Zhivago do you sell your old one on Harmony Centrals FX forum?

Great score on your new one. :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 am

fortytwo wrote:I have one of the blue Myrold painted ones too, haven't used it much, but I don't really want to let it go.

Great score on your new one.
Thanks so much!! 8)

I did sell it to someone of HCFX...I cannot remember the user name, but I recall it was a regular.

Those were great times!! :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu May 11, 2017 9:45 am

By the way, awesome to hear a few more guys here have one!

No one ever mentions these, but they are pretty cool 8)
Resident Spartan.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Fri May 12, 2017 9:21 am

zhivago wrote:
fortytwo wrote:I have one of the blue Myrold painted ones too, haven't used it much, but I don't really want to let it go.

Great score on your new one.
Thanks so much!!

I did sell it to someone of HCFX...I cannot remember the user name, but I recall it was a regular.

Those were great times!!
Those where great times. :)

I actually think I bought your old one then, I bought mine there back in the day, from a guy living in London, but I can't recall the user name either.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 am

I wanted one very badly when I first became aware of them, I thought it would be good for recording. But I never hear of anyone using them for that... I gave up. Would they be good as a line in to a recording interface, with some kind of cabinet simulator maybe?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 pm

fortytwo wrote: I actually think I bought your old one then, I bought mine there back in the day, from a guy living in London, but I can't recall the user name either.

Wow! Actually, do you remember if you paid via Western Union? If you did maybe it was mine. I remember the day I sold it as it was the only time I was ever paid via Western Union and I had to go to a shop to get the money :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri May 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Larry Mal wrote:I wanted one very badly when I first became aware of them, I thought it would be good for recording. But I never hear of anyone using them for that... I gave up. Would they be good as a line in to a recording interface, with some kind of cabinet simulator maybe?

It's posible, but I haven't tried it :)
Resident Spartan.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 am

zhivago wrote:
fortytwo wrote: I actually think I bought your old one then, I bought mine there back in the day, from a guy living in London, but I can't recall the user name either.

Wow! Actually, do you remember if you paid via Western Union? If you did maybe it was mine. I remember the day I sold it as it was the only time I was ever paid via Western Union and I had to go to a shop to get the money
Hmmm.. Not sure if I did, but it's possible, was kinda big on WU back when I bought it. :)

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat May 13, 2017 6:33 am

Awesome!

I've always wanted one of these. I could imagine it being quite useful. Hope you enjoy it and it's a keeper. As the years go by, I'm finding amplifiers to be louder and louder... Too loud for most of my bedroom uses, especially as it seems to be later and later when I find time to play. I could see this coming in handy quite a bit! Not personally a fan of solid-state or software simulators for low-volume playing... Maybe I'll go check some online classifieds. :whistle: