Aged White and Vintage White

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Aged White and Vintage White

Post by idropinus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:41 am

Are Aged White and Vintage White the same color?

And if not, is the difference minimal or they look awful together?

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Aged White and Vintage White

Post by idropinus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

Anyone?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 am

Do you mean on pickguard/pickup cover plastics or body paint colours?

I can't recall Fender calling a finish option 'Aged white', nor offering pickup covers/pickguards in 'vintage white'.

The 'Vintage White' finish option is supposed to look like a slightly aged/yellowed Olympic White IIRC (although the Fender Japan MG65 Mustang I had in this finish was quite a bright white colour). Fender USA and Fender Japan instruments are/were offered in this colour.

If you're talking about pickup covers/pickguards Fender's 'aged white' basically = yellow; and the offset offerings in particular look like absolute shit :k

The 'Eggshell' ones available in the 'Pure Vintage' series (like on the AV65 Jaguars and Jazzmasters) are a lot more subtle.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 am

I agree with andy, "aged white" is really a terrible color for the pickup covers and other plastic bits, although it looks better on darker guitars than lighter ones. I think it looks bad on any sort of white guitar. "Aged white" on "vintage white" I think would look particularly unpleasant. The pickups would just look really yellow in comparison. On a real vintage guitar some people might like that as a natural "patina" that shows the years, but usually the finish would age similarly so they wouldn't be that mismatched. On a modern, new guitar I think it just looks strange.

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Sat May 06, 2017 3:17 am

Thank you all, yeah my question was on the fact that I have a Squier J Mascis (classified as "vintage white") and buying new pickups I didn't want their cover to be WHITE, but of the same colour of the body. I thought that "aged white" on the pups' cover was the same colour of the "vintage white" of the guitar body.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sat May 06, 2017 5:10 pm

"Vintage white" is definitely just more of an off-white, whereas aged white is basically light yellow.

I personally think it looks weird whenever pickups are darker and/or more colorful than the guitar body.

I'd try to source some of the Pure Vintage pickup covers, or just find a real vintage set if you don't want "white". You could try darkening some white ones, but in my experience that doesn't work on nylon, which is what all the modern white ones are made of.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu May 18, 2017 2:56 pm

idropinus wrote:Thank you all, yeah my question was on the fact that I have a Squier J Mascis (classified as "vintage white") and buying new pickups I didn't want their cover to be WHITE, but of the same colour of the body. I thought that "aged white" on the pups' cover was the same colour of the "vintage white" of the guitar body.

My (now sold) MIJ JM was vintage white, like your JMJM. I put Fender USA "aged white" covers on it and they were nearly the same color as the body. Very, very close. However, I preferred the look of bright white covers to contrast against the vintage white body.

aaronstrumpel
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by aaronstrumpel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 pm

trying to figure this out for a black JM w/ a mint guard. white, "vintage white" (creamy-yellow), or aged white...

idropinus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by idropinus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 am

aaronstrumpel wrote:trying to figure this out for a black JM w/ a mint guard. white, "vintage white" (creamy-yellow), or aged white...
I don't like black with light yellow parts, I'd definitely go for the white ones.