Tremolo problem

For help with setups and other technical issues.
bublemark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tremolo problem

Post by bublemark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi!
I have a Warmoth Jazzmaster that i bought used. The tremolo is a fender one, feels rather stiff.
Anyway, i can´t make it go up in pitch (pull it up) much, but its with the tremolo in level with the tremolo lock.
What to do?

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Re: Tremolo problem

Post by Webrocker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 am

Hi,

have you tried to release the spring's tension?
Sounds like your trem is very tight [1], and maybe if you really don't have any upward travel, the tremlock button could slide *under* the floating plate, not between the floating and the base-plate.
Another possibility is that the floating part may sit slightly skewed where the strings go through it. See my set up article,

Setting up the tremolo system

by "floating plate" I mean the part that's connected to the strings and going under the base plate.

cheers,
Tom

[1] http://offset.guitars/site/assets/files/1073/trem6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Webrocker on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
look ma, no string-buzz

bublemark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bublemark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Its the same when the term lock is engaged and not engaged, if that makes any sense. I will try to loosen it quite a bit. Thanks for the answer!

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm

bublemark wrote:Its the same when the term lock is engaged and not engaged, if that makes any sense. I will try to loosen it quite a bit. Thanks for the answer!
are you sure that the lock really is engaged? compare the feel and length of travel the knob makes when you fully depress the tremolo. another thing that theoretically can happen is that the knob has come loose somewhat, so that there's a gap between the knob and the base plate, and it slides not between, but under the floating plate when engaged… but then you won't have a downward movement when the lock is engaged.
maybe best would be to loosen the strings and remove the tremolo and have a look whats going on underneath the baseplate.
look ma, no string-buzz

bublemark
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bublemark » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 am

Most of the problems occurred when i checked underneath for the first time, since i had to turn the screws around in order to not break my e-string,