Vox AC10C1 Greenback???

Make it loud here.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vox AC10C1 Greenback???

Post by Larsongs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 am

I have several Amps. Mostly Fender & Vox. One Marshall. Those are the sounds I like.

I'm thinking of another small Amp to complement my Princeton Reverb.

I've been looking at YouTubes of Sweetwater special run of AC10C1 with Greenback. They look & sound great in videos of course.

As these are not in stores there's no way for me to go try one out. I've tried the std. Model which are ok but I'm not quite there with them enough to pull the trigger.

Just curious. Does anyone here have one with the Grenback? Opinions, Reviews appreciated.

Thanks,

L

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Vox AC10C1 Greenback???

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't have an AC10, but have an AC4 C1, had a '60s AC30 with silver bells and have a '93 Korg AC30 with Greenbacks.

The Greenbacks give the AC30 more headroom before breakup and the cleans have sparkle, but aren't quite as chimey, there is also some added lower mid range that I like, which is more apparent as the volume is wound up. The throaty crunch it gets with a dirt pedal like a RAT or similar is more like a Marshall than classic Vox.

I would expect something similar with the AC10. Still retains most of the VOX tone, but different than what you get with Celestion Blues. I usually play on the edge of breakup and add overdrive or fuzz to that, so the Greenbacks are better for me playing at volume, but if you play mostly clean and want that Vox chime, the Greenback won't deliver. The AC4 has more of that than the AC30. I like the Marshall/Vox hybrid sort of tones the AC30 gets, but if you want that classic "Beatles" tone you might be underwhelmed.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:I don't have an AC10, but have an AC4 C1, had a '60s AC30 with silver bells and have a '93 Korg AC30 with Greenbacks.

The Greenbacks give the AC30 more headroom before breakup and the cleans have sparkle, but aren't quite as chimey, there is also some added lower mid range that I like, which is more apparent as the volume is wound up. The throaty crunch it gets with a dirt pedal like a RAT or similar is more like a Marshall than classic Vox.

I would expect something similar with the AC10. Still retains most of the VOX tone, but different than what you get with Celestion Blues. I usually play on the edge of breakup and add overdrive or fuzz to that, so the Greenbacks are better for me playing at volume, but if you play mostly clean and want that Vox chime, the Greenback won't deliver. The AC4 has more of that than the AC30. I like the Marshall/Vox hybrid sort of tones the AC30 gets, but if you want that classic "Beatles" tone you might be underwhelmed.
I do like The Beatles & The Byrds sound a lot & I do like a lot of other stuff too. I'm thinking of this Amp for travel, small gigs, rehearsal, studio & noodling. Also thinking about running it stereo with my Princeton. Very curious how that might sound.

Thanks for your feedback. It reinforces my thoughts pretty much.

muchxs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by muchxs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:08 am

Everyone seems to think modern Vox amps have the signature Vox tone made popular by The Beatles and later heard on numerous Tom Petty albums. As far as I'm concerned new Vox amps are a mash- up of circuits and therefore tones found in Fender or Marshall amps or any other brand that uses a 12AX7 in V1.

The signature "Vox" tone comes from an EF86 pentode used as V1.

Buy a Winfield Cyclone if you want that tone.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:06 pm

I've got the larger 15 watt to 100 watt Amps covered with Vox, Fender & Marshall. Not looking for that size at this time.

I'm thinking this little AC10C1 w/Greenback would be a good all around practice, studio, recording (maybe), travel & small Gig Amp. I like that it only has 4 Tubes. So it's not an arm & a leg for Tubes.

I could also run the AC10C1 tandem with my Princeton Reverb Stereo. Should be an interesting sound blend. Both are small, light & portable too. And it's inexpensive, $495.00 before dealing.

The Cyclone sound great but pricey & bigger than I want.

Thanks

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:35 am

I have a blue AC15 with the greenback. It's a great sounding amp for the money. I have to push it quite hard for stage sound at gigs, so not sure how the 10W would do. My only complaint is the cheap feel of the controls & grill, but it looks awesome from 1m away!

I'm tempted to fit an alnico blue speaker in for fun.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:01 pm

matthew a wrote:I have a blue AC15 with the greenback. It's a great sounding amp for the money. I have to push it quite hard for stage sound at gigs, so not sure how the 10W would do. My only complaint is the cheap feel of the controls & grill, but it looks awesome from 1m away!

I have an AC15 with Alnico Blue & I think it's the best sounding speaker combo for a Vox AC Amp. I doubt you'll regret changing to that Speaker for your Amp. How big are the Gigs you play? I play medium size Clubs & mine is too loud usually. If I needed to I can always Mic my Amp thru PA.

I have just noticed on YouTube where guys are putting Weber Blue Pup 10 Spkrs in the new AC10 Amps & upgrading to JJ Tubes. Sounds really good.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 am

Larsongs wrote:
matthew a wrote:I have a blue AC15 with the greenback. It's a great sounding amp for the money. I have to push it quite hard for stage sound at gigs, so not sure how the 10W would do. My only complaint is the cheap feel of the controls & grill, but it looks awesome from 1m away!

I have an AC15 with Alnico Blue & I think it's the best sounding speaker combo for a Vox AC Amp. I doubt you'll regret changing to that Speaker for your Amp. How big are the Gigs you play? I play medium size Clubs & mine is too loud usually. If I needed to I can always Mic my Amp thru PA.

I have just noticed on YouTube where guys are putting Weber Blue Pup 10 Spkrs in the new AC10 Amps & upgrading to JJ Tubes. Sounds really good.
I think it's a hybrid Weber blue pup they are using. The cabinet is really tight and most speakers won't fit.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 am

muchxs wrote: The signature "Vox" tone comes from an EF86 pentode used as V1.

Not true. The Beatles and Petty (and band) used a lot of different Vox amps, including solid state models. The EF86 was eliminated from the AC30 by 1960. Early on, the Beatles may have used early AC30s and/or AC15s with EF86s, but they got new AC30s in January 1963, which would NOT have had EF86s. This means that if you are hearing an AC30 on a Beatles record, it's probably NOT an EF86 model. The amp most people associate with the "Vox sound" is the AC30 Top Boost, which is a circuit that never used an EF86.
Thread killer

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm

blacktiger wrote:
muchxs wrote: The signature "Vox" tone comes from an EF86 pentode used as V1.

Not true. The Beatles and Petty (and band) used a lot of different Vox amps, including solid state models. The EF86 was eliminated from the AC30 by 1960. Early on, the Beatles may have used early AC30s and/or AC15s with EF86s, but they got new AC30s in January 1963, which would NOT have had EF86s. This means that if you are hearing an AC30 on a Beatles record, it's probably NOT an EF86 model. The amp most people associate with the "Vox sound" is the AC30 Top Boost, which is a circuit that never used an EF86.
They also had Alnico Blue or Gold Speakers if I'm not mistaken also.

My Vox AC15CC1X Top Boost with Celestion Alnico Blue gets very close to Beatles sound... It's a great Amp. I should probably try to find another one just like it but they are scarce.

I like the idea of a smaller Version of that Amp like the AC10C1 with Top Boost. the Stock speaker is ok but doesn't get the Celestion Alnico Blue sound. The FSR with Greenback may get closer. But since Celestion doesn't make a 10" Blue the other alternative might be the Weber Blue Pup?

The smaller footprint, lighter weight & being 10 Watts appeals to me. It cold be a great for Studio, Noodling, Rehearsal, Small Gigs, Travel & all around Amp.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 am

Larsongs wrote:

I was totally on that vibe until I looked at the retail of the alnico blue... My gigs are probably similar to yours. When I say 'pushed hard' I mean 50% volume. Having moved down from a 100w JCM2000 where I never got above 3, 5 feels pushed :)

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 am

Larsongs wrote:They also had Alnico Blue or Gold Speakers if I'm not mistaken also.

My Vox AC15CC1X Top Boost with Celestion Alnico Blue gets very close to Beatles sound... It's a great Amp. I should probably try to find another one just like it but they are scarce.

I like the idea of a smaller Version of that Amp like the AC10C1 with Top Boost. the Stock speaker is ok but doesn't get the Celestion Alnico Blue sound. The FSR with Greenback may get closer. But since Celestion doesn't make a 10" Blue the other alternative might be the Weber Blue Pup?

The smaller footprint, lighter weight & being 10 Watts appeals to me. It cold be a great for Studio, Noodling, Rehearsal, Small Gigs, Travel & all around Amp.
Blues. By the time silvers came around, they had moved on to bigger amps. The Vox sound is mostly a result of EL84s running in class A. Those speakers were a big part too. The modern AC15 and AC10 are more like mini AC30s than they are the 60s versions of the same models (which did both use EF86s). In the end, all the models running EL84s are going to sound more like a Vox than a Fender or Marshall. I have read that speaker options are limited for the new AC10s because there's not much clearance between the magnet and one of the transformers.
Thread killer

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am

The Weber Blue Pup 10 Spkr is about $80.00. Significantly less than Celestion Alnico Blue 12". Celestion doesn't offer a Blue 10".

I'm wondering why Vox made an AC4 with 12" Spkr but made the AC10 so a 12" Spkr wouldn't fit? Weird!

Still the idea of a smaller, lighter, more travel friendly AC10C1 does appeal to me. I don't play Stadiums & I like to travel light. 1-2 Guitars, Small Amp, Small Pedalboard & a misc Bag with Cords etc. I'm trying to get a Setup that I only need to make 1 trip carrying in & out. That's also a quick & easy Set up & Tear down.

The question now is, should I buy the stock AC10C1 & upgrade the Spkr with Weber Blue Pup? Or buy the FSR with the Celestion Greenback?

Thanks,

Lars

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 am

Pretty sure the alnico Blue Pup won't fit. I think there's only about 4" of clearance before you run into the transformer. The ceramic version might just make it, but I would research first before buying.
Thread killer

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 am

blacktiger wrote:Pretty sure the alnico Blue Pup won't fit. I think there's only about 4" of clearance before you run into the transformer. The ceramic version might just make it, but I would research first before buying.

Here's the YouTube of the guy who did the Mod.

Lars

https://youtu.be/O8DTTgOe18g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;