CP Jazzmaster action

For help with setups and other technical issues.
kevronadams
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CP Jazzmaster action

Post by kevronadams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 am

Ok, so I bought a used Classic Player Jazzmaster a while back and the action was insanely high and had 11s or 12s on it and I just couldn't vibe with it. I got some no name handwired pickups on Reverb and got it set up by a local guy. The new pickups sound amazing, and I got it modded for a series parallel switch, and it gets so many tones, but now the action is way too low and I think I had 10s put on it. The high E is buzzing almost all the way up the neck. Can I just raise the tuneomatic bridge or what should I do? It is so frustrating to have this beautiful, amazing sounding guitar that I can't play fully and always feels a little off.

balta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CP Jazzmaster action

Post by balta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 am

I'm no expert, but I'd say you can safely rise the bridge a little tiny bit which could make a big difference in action. Remember to loosen the strings and (if you don't have the right tool... I don't know what is called) hold the bridge up while adjusting the posts so they have no pressure down to avoid wood or hardware damage.

I repeat, I'm no expert but that's what I did recently with good results.

What's up with people and way-too-low action?
Somos uno, somos hijos del Sol

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:47 am

for sure you should play around with the height of the bridge and see if that makes an improvement. They're designed to be adjusted.

if it's only the high E, then just raise the bridge on that one side a bit.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:44 pm

If you had it set up and you don't like the action, take it back to the guy who did the work. A setup is only complete when it's to the liking of the player.

Otherwise, it's impossible to tell you what to do, because five seconds looking at a guitar tells you more than three paragraphs of text. The basic components of a setup are to check/set for adequate neck angle, adjust for desired relief, then adjust bridge height to achieve desired action and set intonation (+/- fretwork if it precludes proper action).

Either take it back, or take it to someone who can do a proper setup. A good setup makes the difference between a guitar that is a chore to play and one that is a joy.

However, there's not harm in raising the bridge as you suggested, but bridge height might not be the only problem.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Tidepoolbay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tidepoolbay » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Many people go to adjust the bridge when it comes to action. The first thing I look at is the neck. How is the relief? I size up the neck to if it is straight or how the relief looks. Typically adjusting the truss rod eliminates many issues.
Woof!