Fender Blender and Big Muff

Everyone needs a stompbox.
leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fender Blender and Big Muff

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 am

Hey there folks, I know the Fender Blender can do octave stuff and shit, but I would like to know how much tone overlapping is there between a big muff and a fender blender?

I been using a big muff NYC since forever and I came upon a sweet deal for a blender... I'm planning to use it mostly for chords, so in that department, is the Fender Blender very different from the Big Muff in it's buzzsaw qualities? Is it worth having the two in your opinion?
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Re: Fender Blender and Big Muff

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Both have their uses and the overlap is very slight, so you could use both side by side, no problem.

Can the Blender replace the Big Muff for chords? Not for me. There are 1 or 2 muff-like settings without the octave that can do a nice buzzsaw, but once you start turning up the octave I find it almost unusable for chords. It's a raging octave fuzz for single notes though.

An FY-6 Superfuzz is a better fuzz for chords with a hint of octave and does a really nice buzzsaw. The Blender is fine for solos and strange noises but for chords I would expect disappointment.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagstang » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:Both have their uses and the overlap is very slight, so you could use both side by side, no problem.

Can the Blender replace the Big Muff for chords? Not for me. There are 1 or 2 muff-like settings without the octave that can do a nice buzzsaw, but once you start turning up the octave I find it almost unusable for chords. It's a raging octave fuzz for single notes though.

An FY-6 Superfuzz is a better fuzz for chords with a hint of octave and does a really nice buzzsaw. The Blender is fine for solos and strange noises but for chords I would expect disappointment.
+1

Blender is a raw monster for singlenotes. I really like it on rhythm circuit with tone on 0. But it is the most weird pedal i ever owned. And: NO Substitute for a big muff! Never ever.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 am

Thank you for your input, guys.

Not sure I want to get a semi expensive pedal for weird and lead tones... Anyway owner let me take the pedal for a spin before deciding, as he's in a fellow band. I'll see how it works with my rig and post the feedback afterwards.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

j67ab
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by j67ab » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:17 am

I have two (70's) blenders and 6 muffs from triangle to green. No it is not a substitute. But I was playing bar chords on the blender by using a Vox distortion booster with it into a boss noisegate. I saw a picture of Billy Corgans rig and thought that might be something to try. Way crazy, also for added fun, pair them (muff & Blender)together.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagstang » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 am

yes, pairing will be cool sounding. i also love the blender with an ehx germanium od in front of. Nothing for everyday but special...