The Arabic/Hebrew desert oasis rose scented band thread...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Arabic/Hebrew desert oasis rose scented band thread...

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:26 am

Walled into a hellish conference call with a bunch of fashion marketing dobbers, depressed at the successful Bands You Hate Thread and energised by a new post in the fantastic Nordic psych thread, I thought it might be a great opportunity to start a really positive thread to cover all across North Africa into the Middle East, up into Turkey and on even further north to Bucharest where Khidja hail from and on to where ever you fancy. There's been a lot of splintered, isolated chat on here about Anatolian folk, rock and psyche, some chat about desert surf and a small amount of banter on the thrilling near east electronic music which largely seems to be coming out from Tel Aviv and ropes in everything from Acid House, to dusty desert surf twang, to low bass post punk.

In order to leave some room for others, since I'm hoping that 'Hey You the Tape Echo Crew' post stuff, I am going to post contemporary stuff and one Westernised reissue. I might come back to fill in gaps and react to other posts but I'm just so enthused by some of new unifying music coming from regions we in the West often see though a negative press lens. For example Disco Halal is a brilliant label that is focused on uniting Arab and Hebrew culture and Iconography.

So I'm going with pretty new stuff and then I'm going to pick five hot re-edits. Most of this stuff is 12's, not albums and I'm slightly limited since some stuff I wanted to post is no linky.

Khidja - Bucharest

Khidja - Drums Of Taksim this is an amazing 12'

Monkey Tiger

Khidja - Mustafa

Khidja - Never Seen The Dunes

Forgotten Corner & Khidja - Tatooine Moons (Original Mix) this has cool lo beam tremolo guitar on it

Racheta El Fadaa

Autarkic - Tel Aviv

Asi Keta Ga

The Misorientation Of Autarkic

Red Axes - Tel Aviv

Red Axes - Sun My Sweet Sun

Red Axes - Caminho De Dreyfus'

Red Axes are often best as remixers and in collaboration

Hamem Oti (ft. The White Screen)

CAR/Axes is one of my favourites from this year;Red Axes X C.A.R. - Incognito

Red Axes, Moscoman, Krikor - Subaru Pesha

Lena Platonos amazing 80's Grecian synth goddess

Liqueur Ruby (Ηδύποτο Ρουμπινί) Red Axes Remix

Acid Arab - errr Paris!

La Hafla feat. Sofiane Saidi

Sayarat 303

Zhar

Moscoman - Berlin via Tel Aviv (Moscoman is the Disco Halal kingpin)

Imarhan (from Algeria) - Imarhan (Moscoman Remix) easy to put a case for this being among the best remixes of 2016. Super funky, incredible guitar zang and a wondrous world of oscillation . The OG is really good too with the guitar riding right up front Whatever ones for you, you'll be up dancing anyway.

Moscoman - Fernandez

Moscoman & Red Axes - Dikembe Manutu

TCP

TCP - The Dynamic Energy (mOscoman Edit)

Right here's the story with TCP. TCP stands for Tony CArey Project and Tony was bizarrely the keyboard player in Rainbow (yes that Rainbow) and a bit of a session cat. Anyway he released an album as TCP in 84' that's pretty amazing and just reissued on Disco Halal. Think Criollo era Phil Manzanera getting hot with a sticky fingered library 23 Skidoo slathered in heady cardamom scented rose syrup, before being dusted down by the twin forces of Zazou and Allez Allez!

Sand and Blood Part 1

TCP - Desert Rain

Twonga

The Dynamic Energy (original)

Baris K (Istanbul)

İnsanlar - Kime Ne

he does good remixes Pollyester - Voices (Baris K Remix)

Naduve - Tel Aviv

A Trip In Tel Aviv

10K from Essaouira

Xen - Israel I think

All of the Sun

Bells

Yovav - more Israel

Magnetic Field - epic Balearic space disco guitar

Botanical Garden

Mehmet Aslan - Berlin of Turkish Ancestry

Mechanical Turk (Courtesy of Karpov Not Kasparov)

Mehmet seems to do more remixing than making his own stuff his edits are fucking amazing.

OK on to some edits

Yasadim (Mehmet Aslan Edit)From the Disco Halal Edit series of 12's. It's an edit of the Turkish guitarist Zafer Dilek. Ive spammed this many times before but it is truly AMAZING

Baladi (Mehmet Aslan Edit)from Disco Halal edit 3. Not sure the OG source I know the tune. I could probably go and look it up but but I don't really care and don't want to appear more knowledgeable than I really am.

Paralel Disko - Egri Bugru Bomb dropping Baric Manco edit.

MMT - Sevmek Istiyorum Erkut Tackın edit

Baris K - - Honki Ponki (Edit) Senay edit

Sorarim (KMTR Edit) Semiramis Pekkan edit

I am a MILLION miles off an expert in this area so I am really hoping i learn something. Feel free to really roam, I'm hoping there are some lurking locals. I'm not really looking for bands that happen to do grunge or rawk in Arabic but feel free to post them, I'm more looking for music with the feel. So feel free to post Post Punk stuff influenced by this sort of thing like Yashar or something which is one of the things that got me into this new stuff in the first place because it seemed like another chapter in that story.

To be honest the thing that got me into anything remotely Eastern was...Rasputin and this shows what a clueless geographically confused mongrel I am...Rasputin is still fucking mighty though.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Arabic/Hebrew desert oasis rose scented band thread.

Post by budda12ax7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:45 am

There is some new Dub stuff along these lines I have...I need to find it...

I think it's stuff coming out on the Dan Dada label...I will look

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

^^^

It's a bit further east in influence and in original form it's older than a conker tree (80) but Suns Of Arqa - Acid Tabla is a bit of a classic in that style, as is Jagnath Bhairaviwhich I heard was finally getting a vinyl release in it's longest form.

I am absolutely and totally obsessed with Muslimgauze/Bryn Jones and I totally recommend the Muslimgauze Suns of Arqa remix album

Muslimgauze mixes Suns of Arqa - Hey Jagunath

Muslimgauze the Suns of Arqa mixes (whole elpee)

D

This is TOTALLY off topic but you should check the recent found down the back of the sofa version of Bunju Magic with Prince Far I. It says 'unreleased' but its out on Emotional Rescue inna reggae disko riddum stylee
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:36 am

I love this sort of stuff! It's all started with Khidja for me, followed by your posts, of course, and I was delighted when Moscoman and Autarkic did a Disco Halal night in Moscow this last summer.

I must admit I don't have much to contribute, but I'm now following Disco Halal and Malka Tuti. It's also nice to see Red Axes being so productive.

A couple of songs for all you cardamom lovers out there:

new(ish):
Steaua de Mare - Babadag (Khidja remix)
Von Party ft. Naduve - Cobra Kush

old:
Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 am

whisperit wrote:Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
Feel Me and especially Blind Vision are infallible party starters.

Good call on Steaua de Mare, there's Mehmet Aslan remixes on that 12' too and the album has some great Eastern flavours like;Doamne Ce Greșeală Am

D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks for this, much to explore here! Not too familiar with most of your suggestions, but very pleased to have discovered Imarhan a while back. :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:55 am

antisymmetric wrote: very pleased to have discovered Imarhan a while back.
I really like them and the way they flit really easily between sounds more typical of their region and a sort of Nigerian feel and almost a wee 60's instrumental thing. The instrumental thing feeds into Andy Votels really interesting observation that The Shadows have more footprints in non English music than The Beatles and you do hear it right right across the Middle East and Turkey and right across into the far east through Indian and Pakistan.

Imarhan seem to be really good musicians in a non obnoxious way.

D

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:48 am

subscribed. Thanks David!

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:11 am

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks for getting this one going Shadowplay, after seeing whispers of Anatolian psych/folk in the "what are you listening to?" thread and bobbing my head to the radio chatter over contemporary Arabic/Hebrew-tinged stuff in the Song of the Day thread it's a delight to have a one stop, can't stop, won't stop shop for Turkish, Arabic and Hebrew sounds.

So much of this stuff beyond the Khidja and Disco Halal/Moscoman stuff has been below my radar coverage. Swaying and bobbing to the Red Axes and TCP especially.

Most of what I have delved into has been within the Anatolian psych/folk realm but my knowledge is pretty skin deep...there are some real wizard-scholars of this stuff out there, and some just plain wizards:

If you've had yer fill of Erkin Koray, Selda, et al (can you ever though?), maybe check out Hür-El

Their album Hurel Arsivi is a bit of a cardamom classik:

Hur-El - Sevenler Aglarmis Fuzz-pop banger. The footage accompanying the song is incredible, that strato-saz (WANT!) is the perfect content-descriptive label for the Turkish psych tin.

Hur-el - Canim Kurban mandatory listening for blasting down olive grove-lined highways

Moving outside the wah-rocking psych spheres:

Yabancilar - Agit Pet Sound echoing, stare-out-the-window-at-the-rain dirge.

Group Titan - Çingeneler Maşa Yapar Satarlar Turko-Disco! Label blurb:
Probably the work of an “ad-hoc” studio band (nothing is known about the musicians), this is a delirious mix of exotic melodies and lots of analog synths, cheap Atari-styled electronic effects, distorted guitar and 80s beatboxes.

Maybe not right for this thread because the players were mostly German, but Guersson Records recently reissued AK MusickAK Musick - Ak Musick which is heavily avant-garde Kraut a bit like Nurse With Wound done with Middle Eastern instrumentation:
AK Musick - Schace
AK Musick - Impro-Vision

I'll come back with more when I have a chance.

Love what I've heard so far, can't wait to crack this thread open further!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:06 am

I got HÜR–EL when you mentioned them before. I rate the way they are groovy psychedelic and also kinda calm and smooth/crooning with the vocals and not giving it the full monsters of blooze like typical longhairs would be doing around the time. Are they triplets?

Yabancılar is a stone classic and I'm into the Group Titan madness.

An old one I like is the 1976 Mazhar ve Fuat - Türküz Türkü Çağırırız LP. This was true find in the wild and i didn't realise it was actually rated until i looked it up. It's got that not quite easy listening lope you get on Vannier or something or even a sort of mellow Turkish Lee Hazlewood.

Nerde Hani

Adımız Miskindir Bizim

Mevsimler

Güllerin İçinden

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:10 am

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 am

Waahahahahahhhhh how did I miss this thread...

My brain is a mess of flu and ear infections and I can't think straight or think of anything to add, but there's so much stuff to wade through here, this has just sorted my afternoon out at work, thanks :-*

I will add this though, which I find infinitely interesting, Justin Adams taking a look at how distortion has always played a role in music through the ages and through cultures. Desert musicians would a crudely adapt their instruments to "rattle" in a harmonically pleasant way, to get more sustain and a voice, basically primitive fuzz pedals...

From Voodoo to Hendrix

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 am

^^^

I was hoping you'd weigh in on the more psyche rock side which I've left fallow since I really only know enough about it to be dangerous; essentially very little and probably at least 90% discovered through reissue for western consumption.

I watched the film you linked to, pretty interesting. It's WAY off topic but I always loved the lurid westeasternism of Thin White Rope, I guess most easily seen on Red Sun or on the amazing solo on Munich Eunich. They were an amazing live band and one of those bands on the Americann side of the pushed by grunge phenomenon.

D

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:13 am

shadowplay wrote:Just got this, it's full of eastern promise!

The A side is the charm for me but the Khidja bee is still killer.

Anatolian Weapons - A Strange Light From The East

Anatolian Weapons - A Strange Light From The East (Khidja's Peruvian Mix)

D

ahhh..the 12" sold out!

:o