The Zvex Super Hard On (SHO) Appreciation Thread.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Zvex Super Hard On (SHO) Appreciation Thread.

Post by Paco » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:11 pm

I've got to say it, I'm in love with the SHO. Actually, I've just bought my first (real) one: an '04 Myrold with beehive artwork, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive

I have a BOR clone that I love, mostly the SHO side, and I could never afford for a hand painted one here in México (Zvex prices are going crazy). This one was a bargain that I could not resist, and just to find one of them over here is kind of a miracle.

Let's post some pictures, stories, tips, settings with other pedals, etc. and show some love to the simpliest and loveliest pedal of all

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: The Zvex Super Hard On (SHO) Appreciation Thread.

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Great simple pedal. I built a clone that was my main "dirt pedal" (in conjunction with my amp obviously) for about a year. It replaced an MXR Micro Amp, and while both those pedals pretty much just give you more of your guitar and amp, the SHO adds a bit of its own character to the mix, which somehow makes it pop out more.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:18 am

Good thread timing for me.

I've had the exact same buzzy bee painted version and am currently contemplating selling it, as its just a little too transparent. Don't get me wrong its incredible and can drive a JTM45 or Super Reverb into heavenly syrupy goodness, but I want a boost with a bit of "grit" or tone shaping to it, and can't afford to keep buying pedals, so its a one in one out deal. They are superb clean boosts, and good for adding a bit of sparkle if the pedal chain gets too long. The crackle is ok, can get annoying on a quiet stage when you want to crank the boost, as its sounds like you've mic'd up a really loud packet of crisps through the PA.

I'd like to try cranking two amps from it though, anyone tried it?

I'm talking myself into keeping it now...

Here it is sat at the end of my highly complex setup:

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:02 am

Yep. I'm a convert. I used a Duncan SD Booster for the first year with my Avatar 18 and it was great (and still is), but I wanted a bit more flexibility and multiple levels of boost, so I got a Super Duper. Fantastic sounding. Tried it out at our last gig and the sound was excellent.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

tremolo3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tremolo3 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:02 am

A very simple yet useful and good sounding circuit. It was the first pedal I've ever built and I love what it does to my Fender amps at unity gain. Will try to post a picture tonight, my ex-gf added some cool Asteroids graphics.

Then I've built a Fuzz Factory and I added a SHO circuit with a master volume and it helps the fuzz to cut through when using some subtle settings in the FF.

Zvex prices are going crazy
I know your feeling jaja, and I don't think I will ever buy a Zvex pedal; they are way overpriced for what they are.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I have built a couple as well.

This one is still on my board as an always on pedal:

I do not really use it as much of a boost, but there is something it adds to the tone that I love. I am building a Super Duper currently as a show a friend how to build pedals kind of thing.

I have to say, I like it more with my Fender amps than with my Vox AC30, but it sounds good even with the vox.

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:51 pm

I just received mine...

It's a beast! ::) I'm pushing an 87 RAT and a Hot Cake with it and it's heaven. Add a little DM2 and an RV3 and you reeeeeally don't need anything else. Do you?

I love the way it interacts with other pedals, even my CE2 sounds way better with the SHO behind.

Mojambo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mojambo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:36 am

Great pedal.

I use it 'always on', to take my Fender Twin from "clean & lifeless" to "not quite clean/not quite dirty, but just right"

The SHO (and Super Duper) also work really well at the END of the chain.

Drill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drill » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:05 am

I love my super duper clone :?
From volume boost (which is more than just that) to synthy (kinda octave up? :derp: ) sounds :-* :-* :-*

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:29 am

I really like mine, keeping set at about 1 o'clock so it puts the amp into some dirt, but not crazy distortion or anything. Running it into a bigmuff is great, makes the muff a bit louder, and slighly less grainy (I think that's the word) sounding, overall creating an astounding filth. Don't much like it at the end of the chain as some users have said, as behind the muff it made the sound far too dark, and when it was after my Polara the reverb overpowered the normal guitar sound, despite the level being set low.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:13 pm

I :-* SHOs!! I am on my second now (third if you count the one I built). I use mine with my BF Bandmaster and keep it on almost 100% of the time. Once it is on, it just sounds so lifeless and dull with it off. No, ZVEX didn't reinvent the wheel with it, but it still sounds fantastic!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:37 pm

I love the SHO and SuperDuper, maybe my most favored schematic/pedal. My SuperDuper is first in line and the right channel is always on, set slightly above unity gain. It adds nice chime and compression and makes my '65 Deluxe Amp sound a whole lot more alive. Works great with my Rickenbacker 381/12 too, I can't stand compressors but the SD/SHO is just right for me.

tele_pathic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tele_pathic » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:23 pm

I love, LOVE my ZVEX pedals. I started with a VEXTER Box of Rock but didn't love the boost side, which is kind of an SHO but not quite. Then I got a VEXTER Distortron, then a VEXTER Mastotron Fuzz. THEN I sold the BOR and replaced it with a Doube Rock, which is a signature J Mascis pedal. It has two sides: Each side can be an SHO or a Distortron. AND I love both sides on SHO and stacking them. The SHO is an incredible pedal

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:48 am

I've had 2 SHOs and 3 SD2IN1s...great pedals, especially with Tweed circuits 8)
Resident Spartan.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:31 am

This thread makes me want one. I'm thinking at the end of the chain to boost the delay/verb sounds on top of the guitar.