Crowther Hotcake weird presence issue

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Crowther Hotcake weird presence issue

Post by Jestapali » Thu May 12, 2016 5:40 am

After weeks of hesitation, I just got a Crowther Hotcake for my AC30. The pedal is new but there is a strange issue with the Presence pot: Instead of being set up like the level and Drive (min 7 o'clock,max 5 o'clok) , the presence minimun is at 11 oclock and the maximum at 7 oclock (more or less of course)

Basically, while level and drive halfway means 12 o'clock, presence halfway means 3 o'clock.

I'm not sure whether this is affecting the sound, but certainly it does not work like in the other hotcakes I see on youtube or around (where the presence is set exactly like the other knobs) and is annoying.

anybody has seen anything like this?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Crowther Hotcake weird presence issue

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu May 12, 2016 6:16 am

Sounds like the set screw on the knob was tightened when the pot wasn't fully closed. That or it has come loose. Check around the side of the knob for a little hole. Inside should be a screw that is most likely slotted for a screwdriver. It some cases it may take an allen wrench. Even less common (in pedals) it may be push one and just needs pulled off and realigned. If it has a screw, turn the knob counterclockwise, loosen the screw, realign the knob, and retighten. Then you should be good to go.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Thu May 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Thank you, i love sharin foo, the Hotcake does not have the knob screw so I took the know out easily. After doing this you can see that the pot t is assembled that way (min. 11 o'cloc max 7 o'clock). Strange.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri May 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Erm, no it isn't?

Turn presence control all the way anti-clockwise. Remove the (push on style) knob.

Replace the knob with the white indicator line in the desired position between 7 and 8 o'clock.

"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Thu May 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you but I wish it would be as easy as that. In any case, I'm used to it know and I' starting to feel silly about it. The presence control will be halfway at 3 o'clock, that's it.

These knobs, unlike many others, have only one possible way of attaching to the pot control, hence the impossibility of such common approach. The problem is not the plastic know, but the pot being assembled differently from level and drive.

I'll live with it. It sounds great anyway.

Crashcup
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Crashcup » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am

I had this issue with the presence knob’s indicator line orientation on my Hotcake.
The fix is so easy: the knob’s top cap is removable and and can be reoriented however you want it. Just pry it off with your fingernail.
I wish i had realized this BEFORE I scraped off the line and repainted it, LOL.

This issue arises because the Presence pot is mounted at 90 degrees on on the PCB in relation to the other pots.