My Disco - Severe

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

My Disco - Severe

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:03 am

I thought I might hop in with something featuring those stringed devices some archaeologists recently dug up buried in the Siberian permafrost.

I've liked the Australian band My Disco (yep named after Big Black song) in the past but their newish elpee 'Careless' is the first to absolutely sweep me away.

Minimal, black hulled and in possession of SWANS level heft. It's spans the cavernous space betwixt the nihilistic isolation of something like MASS and deathly pallored post hardcore, exsanguinated of rock excess. I really liked the production, which is much more to my taste than previous Albini helmed releases, it's still direct but it's also in possession of oppressive, spectral space.

Sample track;

My Disco - Careless

Full stream ahead on the good ship Bandcamp.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you loathsome tonight?

luau
Admin
Admin

Re: My Disco - Severe

Post by luau » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 am

I really liked 'Wrapped Coast' and 'Little Joy'. Although I pre-ordered this one from TRL and received it some time ago, I still haven't listened to all of it yet.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Picked this up over on Sunday, really enjoying it so far - and lives up to its title!

I just arrived home from work and put it straight back on; 'Recede' is vibrating the entire house.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:18 am

Actually scrap that - so far it's the best thing I've bought this year.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:46 am

Record , its great. Live, they sound massive, saw them a couple of months back!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:54 am

a 12' of two mighty remixes arrived on my doormat this morning. Worth £7 of anyone's money (2 if you're digital ).

Regis - Our Decade (Regis Mix) foundry tough chacha.

1991 (Lustmord 20/20 Mix) ominous Stygian gloom from industrial veteran.

D

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:33 am

I LOVE these guys. We opened for them in 2008 when they toured Manila. Been in touch with Ben and co. since. Severe is a great record, and sounds just like the album art and title suggests. Really stark, immersive experience.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Just picked up a copy of 'Little Joy', also an absolute cracker of an album.
David McComb, 1987.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:06 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:17 pm
Just picked up a copy of 'Little Joy', also an absolute cracker of an album.
This reminded me to stick on Severe again. Sometimes they make me think of a post hardcore Ike Yard.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:16 am

New elpee ‘Environment’ out on the most wondrous Downwards* (which is truly the perfet home for them). If you want the vinyl I'd be quick since it's pinned at 500 copies only. I got mine from Boomkat and you get a download but it's embargoed until 08/03/2019.

From what I've heard they've largely shed any residual rock skin and went MONOLITH! Intense, dense but in possesion of a seething mardy oppressive space. They've still got that SWANS heft that categorised Severe at it's best but this is now underpinned by a glowering Raime goes Einstürzende Neubauten dark subjugation and a keek into the vast subterranean chambers the likes of OAKE inhabit, going nowhere VAST!

MY DISCO — Rival Colour

MY DISCO — An Intimate Conflict essentially a duet between an idling Land Rover Defender and an electricity substation.

Boomkat put it better than I can.
Boomkat Product Review:

My Disco finally unveil their debut album for Downwards, a brilliant rendering of concrète/industrial styles recorded in the same Berlin studio often frequented by Einstürzende Neubauten, Pan Sonic and Keiji Haino, somehow channelling the spirit of all three. It’s an intensely rich and wildly unexpected trip that takes in the ragged intensity of Suicide alongside gong recordings and a kind of isolationist ambient spirit that resides somewhere between Selected Ambient Works Vol II and Raime.

‘Environment’ finds My Disco in the midst of deep synth despair, leaving behind the gnashing guitars in favour of cold metallic percussion and gloomy pads reverberating in derelict, factory-like space. Gutting out the driving, mathy repetition of their prized early work (2010’s Steve Albini-produced ’Young/You’ is a favourite of Karl O’Connor/Regis), the Melbourne-based trio now recall the ungodly offspring of Raime and Swans, operating with an increased appreciation of space, rhythm and tone that will shock even the hardest to please explorers of avant-rock and industrial fault lines.

In no uncertain terms its 8 tracks plumb the depths of a foul mood, strafing thru a series of antechamber-like stations like some inelegant beast encumbered with clanking manacles and ankle restraints. Thanks to the visceral, vivid nature of the recording and production, the devil lies in the synaesthetic sonic/visual detail, riddling a mostly wordless narrative that perfectly says it without saying it.

Biting down first with the jagged metallic klang and gnawing drones of ‘An Intimate Conflict’, the album continues to fetishise both bleeding-raw and cinematic themes thru the torture chamber ambience of ‘Exercise In Sacrifice’, and the red-lining tone poem ‘Act’, leading into belly of the beast bass growls on ‘Rival Colour’, before the dissonant, keening might of ‘No Permanence’ calves off into a closer to end all closers, with the band’s Cornell Wilczek feeding Buchla Easel tones into the empty tank strikes and fetid atmosphere of ‘Forever’ with a febrile effect worthy of Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement.

By any measure, ‘Environment’ is one of Downwards’ most singular albums, and a must-check for disciples of proper, unheimlich sonics. Trust it’ll wipe that art school smirk off right off your mug.
D

*in other Downwards news I'm virtually hanging off the ceiling in frustration that I have to wait till may for the Samuel Kerridge & Taylor Burch of DVA Damas (earlier and later) and Tropic of Cancer collab album.
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:04 am

Ordered - thanks for the heads up!

Sadly they didn't feel the need to include Brisbane in their 'national' tour (of five gigs).
David McComb, 1987.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:19 am

nice one, thx!
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

Ordered, thanks! Should make for a real party starter at the beach this summer. 8)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:41 am

btw I was wrong on the download embargo. Mine is showing that's it's available.

Boomkat also have digital available too for non vinylers
luau wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am
Ordered, thanks! Should make for a real party starter at the beach this summer. 8)
It's margarita time baby! Serve with a slice of flint.

My copy arrived...headtorch on...I'm going in!

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 am

Really like it, it's pretty far from their early stuff but I feel they've evolved to me rather than away from me. Some of it's very Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement, or even Ancestral Voices or something but first time thorough I particularly enjoyed Rival Colour and splendly po-faced closer Forever with it's skin abrading blasts of sheet ice guitar and an unfailing recreation of the experience of being half deafened by cold winds at altitude before melting away into a soothing field recording of a deluge.

D