Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Big Blue Guitar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by Big Blue Guitar » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 am

First post.

I've got a KO Marr out for delivery even as I type. I've been out of the offset (and, for the most part, solid body) game for a few years, chasing that Great Gretsch Sound. I found it, too, and I'm unlikely to ever lose it. But I missed my Jazzmasters and P90 slabs. So what do I wind up with? A Marrjuar with chunked out KO finish, a Spitfire 'guard & a Mastery. I couldn't be more excited -- although I'm a bit leery of the pickups. I'm a live looper, and all of that noise I hear about will drive me up the proverbial wall. So, sadly, even pathetically, I'm already looking at replacement pickups. Bardens, most likely, but I might grit my teeth and deal with the hum from a set of Novak lipsticks for Jag. I think that would kick all sorts of J Lo class booty. With both the Fenderesque parallel & Dano-approved series arrangements on tap, it would combine some of my favorite guitars into a masterpiece of tremulated chimy cleans.

But enough bloviation from me. I'm going to go back to drinking & pacing, waiting for the Big Brown Truck.

novamax
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by novamax » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:58 am

So, even though this is not the introduction post, but your first: Welcome back in the Offset community :)

Big Blue Guitar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Big Blue Guitar » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks! I really like the guitar. I used to have a CIJ Jag, but I tended towards Jazzies. But a few years ago, I ran across a '65 Jag at a local Guitar Center of all places, and fell in love. I couldn't swing it then, but that guitar stayed with me. So when I decided to add some offsets to my otherwise very hollow collection of guitars, I found out about the Marr, and decided, after much consideration, to take the plunge. The hum isn't that bad, relatively speaking, and once i start making serious noise, it's a non-issue. The scale length is a bit of a squeeze, but I'm acclimating quickly; the comfortable neck profile helps a lot.

Altcerf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Altcerf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 am

Awesome pic. Love the witch hats as well.

JazzmasterJonny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzmasterJonny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Big Blue Guitar wrote:Image
Beautiful guitar! And welcome! Makes me miss my Marr....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Big Blue Guitar wrote:Image

Thanks! I really like the guitar. I used to have a CIJ Jag, but I tended towards Jazzies. But a few years ago, I ran across a '65 Jag at a local Guitar Center of all places, and fell in love. I couldn't swing it then, but that guitar stayed with me. So when I decided to add some offsets to my otherwise very hollow collection of guitars, I found out about the Marr, and decided, after much consideration, to take the plunge. The hum isn't that bad, relatively speaking, and once i start making serious noise, it's a non-issue. The scale length is a bit of a squeeze, but I'm acclimating quickly; the comfortable neck profile helps a lot.
Next to my Green Arrow, that is now my favorite Marrguar!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Big Blue Guitar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Big Blue Guitar » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:54 pm

I wish I could take credit for the mods, but they were done by the previous owner. Near as I can they, they bought the guitar, did the mods, used it a bit, then it sat in a case. It sure as heck isn't going to sit in its case -- no matter how lovely -- now. I just saw it on Reverb, and drooled over it for a few weeks before finally taking the plunge. So glad I did.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

drmw93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by drmw93 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 am

That sherwood color reminds me of the Jaguar Frusciante played in the Under The Bridge video!

QualityMusic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by QualityMusic » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Stock bridge was a nightmare, hated the bridge pickup too. Bye bye JM Jag hello Jaguarillo.

Key of A+Double D
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Key of A+Double D » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Just joined the club JMS Jag!

Swapped my Ricky 330 for a beat up, toured and sweaty JMS Jag. Been a Jazzy lover I've done it more out of curiosity and perceived $$$ value in the exchange. Watching Johnny talk about 'his' improvements in the vid really piqued my interest, he really gives the impression he takes the Signature model honour deadly seriously, even like he's been itching to make a better Jag. I wish FMC would apply the same approach and let a real player make real improvements to the Jazzmaster rather than continue to churn out the same unimproved shite with known problems.

Have to say now that she's all cleaned up I am loving the neck feel and tidy fretboard of this little beastie. lots of grunt up the bridge and lots of required jangle elsewhere.

One of the better made FMC Fenders in all aspects EXCEPT! I have to say the KO finish is absolutely bloody awful! Even comes off from contact under the stainless plates. Chipped everywhere on the body. Beware prospective owners its as flaky as Goldmembers skin! Still a keeper!

guitarsammy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitarsammy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:58 pm

Key of A+Double D wrote:Just joined the club JMS Jag!

Swapped my Ricky 330 for a beat up, toured and sweaty JMS Jag. Been a Jazzy lover I've done it more out of curiosity and perceived $$$ value in the exchange. Watching Johnny talk about 'his' improvements in the vid really piqued my interest, he really gives the impression he takes the Signature model honour deadly seriously, even like he's been itching to make a better Jag. I wish FMC would apply the same approach and let a real player make real improvements to the Jazzmaster rather than continue to churn out the same unimproved shite with known problems.

Have to say now that she's all cleaned up I am loving the neck feel and tidy fretboard of this little beastie. lots of grunt up the bridge and lots of required jangle elsewhere.

One of the better made FMC Fenders in all aspects EXCEPT! I have to say the KO finish is absolutely bloody awful! Even comes off from contact under the stainless plates. Chipped everywhere on the body. Beware prospective owners its as flaky as Goldmembers skin! Still a keeper!
Would be interesting to see photos of that worn finish.......

QualityMusic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by QualityMusic » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:27 am

Key of A+Double D wrote:Just joined the club JMS Jag!

Why is it one of the better FMC Fenders? Would love some pics

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Does anyone with a JM jaguar own a pair of digital calipers?

How thick is the neck and what type of profile is it?

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 pm

arkivel wrote:Does anyone with a JM jaguar own a pair of digital calipers?

How thick is the neck and what type of profile is it?
No digital calipers (so fail there) but its comparable to the av65 neck for thickness, but possibly rounder in profile. Thicker than an avri 62. I would 'WAG' them somewhere around .82-.84.