Anodized pickguards

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

What spec?

AVRI
66%
VM
4%
MIJ
18%
other
12%

Total votes: 107

gdayj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anodized pickguards

Post by gdayj » Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
arkivel wrote:curious if you've thought about getting someone in the USA to act as a distributor. Shipping from Australia must be insane for an individual guard.
Since USPS put their rates up it's around the same, or possibly slightly cheaper than what we pay to get stuff from the US. I'm getting quoted $14.10AUD (just shy of $11USD) for regular (untracked) air-mail or $21.10 ($16.35USD at the time of writing) for either a signature or tracked (but not both) service for a parcel up to 500g.
My sentiments exactly. Shipping won't be a deal breaker I don't imagine.
That said I'm happy to look at the sums.
HERAD guitars

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed May 27, 2015 12:01 pm

subscribed

gdayj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gdayj » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:30 am

Hey everybody,

Quick FYI, first prototypes came back from laser under par..
I exported my drawings in the wrong format and all the curves were converted into a series of straight lines.
Have resolved the issue and am getting a new batch done, should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your patience!
HERAD guitars

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I was just thinking about these and wondering how they came out! That's unfortunate about the first prototypes, but I suppose that's why they're done. Hopefully it didn't set you back too far! I'd be curious to see one though, any way they could be used in a custom build? Either how they stand or with the edges hand shaped/rounded. Just thinking out loud :).

dmb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dmb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:48 pm

G'day gdayj, have you had any progress on these guards? I might be interested in a JM guard.
cheers
Darren
gdayj wrote:Hey everybody,

I exported my drawings in the wrong format and all the curves were converted into a series of straight lines.
Have resolved the issue and am getting a new batch done, should be ready in a couple of weeks.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I just did a search for member qdayj and came up with nothing.... didn't even show old posts. looks like that member bailed out.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

tiredguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tiredguy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

kdanie wrote:I just did a search for member qdayj and came up with nothing.... didn't even show old posts. looks like that member bailed out.

ken
Try this http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/mem ... le&u=14155

cyborgpotato
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cyborgpotato » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Not sure if it's been said before but a dark reddish brown anodized guard would look sweet.
Similar to this Fender Rustic Strat:
I would definitely be interested in a Jazzmaster guard if you could pull it off.

dmb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dmb » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:53 pm

cyborgpotato wrote:Not sure if it's been said before but a dark reddish brown anodized guard would look sweet.
Oooh, that brown pickguard would look cracking on a blonde/aged oly jazzmaster

I Hate Music
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by I Hate Music » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:29 am

If anyone has a line on a 9 hole black ano JM guard I'd love to hear about it. I was helping Anotone with their ano JM prototypes and haven't heard from him in months. I bought a Tone-Guard a few years ago and have been emailing him for months without any reply. This is tricky you guys. I would even spend the extra dough to get a vintage one at this point, but those are like unicorns. #guitarpeopleproblems. :fp:
I hate music, sometimes I don't.
I hate music, it's got too many notes.

redshirt87
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redshirt87 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:27 am

I bought a Tone-Guard a few months ago. Wayne accidently sent me the wrong one. He was quick to reply to my emails. He apologised, I returned the pickguard, and he sent the right one, along with some swag for my troubles. I want to say the entire exchange from initial purchase to receiving the correct pickguard was about 10 days (FYI, he doesn't use tracking and that made me a little nervous), so not bad considering the fuck up. I know Tone-Guard has a lot of bad rep, but, overall, I had a positive experience.

You can see an ok smartphone camera photo of it on my JM here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58169&start=360#p1314497
"Over time, I've realized that the comforts I most prized will all clean my bones and circle like flies" -The Arrivals, The Ballad of Lon Stokes

ClipArtSongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ClipArtSongs » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:45 am

Wow. A couple months off the board and look what I miss!

I'd pay real dough for a JM-style guard for my MIJ jag. Never cared for all that chrome, but I love just about everything else about it.
www.clipartsongs.bandcamp.com

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Every time I see this thread bumped I get all excited that the OP is reporting back :'(. I so wanted a gold MusicMaster guard for a sunburst Mustang project I had going. Would've loved to have seen a few stripped Teisco style guards too (picture on pg.2).

Oh well, perhaps someone in the future will pick it up! One can always hope :blush:. The interest seems to be there. Though with everyone wanting something slightly different, me included, perhaps the cost is too great.

tiredguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tiredguy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:39 pm

WonderCouncil wrote:Every time I see this thread bumped I get all excited that the OP is reporting back . I so wanted a gold MusicMaster guard for a sunburst Mustang project I had going. Would've loved to have seen a few stripped Teisco style guards too (picture on pg.2).

Oh well, perhaps someone in the future will pick it up! One can always hope . The interest seems to be there. Though with everyone wanting something slightly different, me included, perhaps the cost is too great.
If it all got to be too much for him (too involving, bigger task than first anticipated, more expensive, more time consuming than originally planned) then the polite thing to do would be to take a few moments of his time to let everyone know imo. It's been in limbo long enough now for a what gives sonny Jim? He could update everyone and say its not happening or just ain't possible in the original time frame etc.

A lot of people were excitedly following this promising little pickguard project 'round here; If it all got too much for him, a quick 'yay' or 'nay' would be helpful.
gdayj wrote:Hey everybody,

That was July 07 2015 so comon' mate ...show your mug!...this Melbournian is awaiting your smoke signal from Adelaide ;)

gdayj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gdayj » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the continued delay.
I run my own small business which has been booming this year - pretty good problem to haver really.

First laser cut prototypes were a failure, which was a bit disheartening, even though I have sonce solved the particular problem..
The metal polisher I previously used in my work, who I planned to use for these guards, are no longer in business, which has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works as the brushed aly finish is quite specific..

Long story short, I still intend on pursuing this, and I'm sorry if you're hanging out for it to happen quicker than it has.

Thanks all for your interest and I hope to have some news early in 2016.

Cheers, Justin.
HERAD guitars