Introducing, the FNG

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Introducing, the FNG

Post by EffinNewGuy » Sun May 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Greetings all! I've been on an offset kick lately, so thought I would sign up to be able to pick the brains of the experts here.

About me, I bought my first offset in 1994. A MIJ limited edition Jaguar. You know the ones with the translucent blonde finish and gold hardware. Fast forward to 2008, and I had to pay rent. The Jaguar is gone. To be honest, I really didn't miss it much, until recently. I played a CP Jazzmaster recently and fell in love. Now I have to figure out what to sell to be able to get one of those. I'm thinking the black one. Although that sunburst is plenty sexy.

I play mostly blues rock, classic rock, alternative and indie, with a touch of punk. I think it's time for another offset.

I _ATE_NewJersey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Introducing, the FNG

Post by I _ATE_NewJersey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Welcome back to the offset-waisted side.

I own a CP JM, but now use it strictly for goofball alternative tunings. If you're looking to buy a newer-ish Fender offset, you might want to look into the new Road Worn and 60s Lacquer series Jags and JMs.
Lurv.

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:58 am

I was considering those, but I would really like a 9.5" radius and bigger than vintage frets. I guess I could always change out the necks....

But I am used to playing Gibbos, so I am very familiar with the TOM.

Since you suggested them, I know they are nitro, but is it the body only? Or is the body and neck nitro?

I _ATE_NewJersey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by I _ATE_NewJersey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Body and neck are both nitro on the series I recommended.

And I play all sorts of fretboard radii from 12"-7.25" and have no issue moving among them. I probably have a bigger issue switching between Jag (24") and fender standard (25.5) scale lengths when I haven't played the other in a few weeks. I guess the radius might matter depending on your personal playing style. So, YMMV.

I also happen to be a fan of single coil pups since I find them more expressive.

Still, I wouldn't get rid of my CP JM. There are certain songs that I've written specifically for use with that guitar, and it's hotter pups are what make it shine. Plus, like other Fenders, it's built like a tank and can play well after all sorts of abuse.

Finally, as you'll find here, lots of folks have lots of opinions on the TOM style bridge... Mostly negative. I've never had an issue with any TOM style bridges on any of my Fender's, but others have had other results. And I've even switched the TOM on my CP JM to a roller bridge... But that was to change the sound I was getting, not because of a structural issue.

If you had the money to burn, I would also recommend looking at a 50th anniversary Jag from 2012 if you can find one (and if you were interested in the scale length). To me, they were an amazing combo of vintage and modern Jags all wrapped up into one guitar.

As always, just play as many different guitars as you can. You never know what you'll find.

Good luck and let me know if I can further help you find what you're looking for.
Lurv.

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 am

Thank you for your responses, Jersey.

I actually just received a trade offer this morning for a MIM JM (no further info at the moment, I have asked for additional details) for my 2006 Gibson SG Classic. I Tell you, it's going to be hard to let go of that one. Those P90s are something special. It feels almost like you are channel your inner Pete Townsend when you pick that one up. Also going to try to arrange meeting the guy to try it out, etc...

I'll let you know how it goes and what model it is.

I _ATE_NewJersey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by I _ATE_NewJersey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Best wishes with your trade.

Keep in mind that, up until recently, the classic player was the most expensive JM made in Mexico (Now there's the Road Worn, 60s Classic Lacquer and Troy Van Leeuwen models). Just make sure the seller/trader isn't trying to swap your SG for a blacktop JM that retails new at around 500.00 USD.

Even if you are trading your SG for a CP JM, you still might be the one on the losing side of the deal.

BTW, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your business, I just want to make sure you get a great offset in exchange for the great guitar you already have.

If you have any doubts, just post something here on osg and pick the brains of the folks in the forum.

And while you might not be able to do windmills like Townsend after this, at least you can try and do your best Elvis Costello impression.

Good luck and let's hope we see a NGD post from you soon! :)
Lurv.

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 am

The only way I would trade my SG is for the Road Worn, the Lacquer, or the TVL. The SG is a great guitar, but I don't reach for it first. That honor belongs to my modded Epiphone Sheraton II.

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:54 am

Ok, a 95 CAR CIJ JM with a mastery bridge and G&G case has come up and I made an offer. This after I just bought a sonic blue VMJM. I made a trade offer for my SG. I'll meet the guy and try it out. Thoughts?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 am

EffinNewGuy wrote:Ok, a 95 CAR CIJ JM with a mastery bridge and G&G case has come up and I made an offer. This after I just bought a sonic blue VMJM. I made a trade offer for my SG. I'll meet the guy and try it out. Thoughts?
take his guitar.
take yours too.
run.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:57 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
EffinNewGuy wrote:Ok, a 95 CAR CIJ JM with a mastery bridge and G&G case has come up and I made an offer. This after I just bought a sonic blue VMJM. I made a trade offer for my SG. I'll meet the guy and try it out. Thoughts?
take his guitar.
take yours too.
run.
That's definitely one option. Not the most ethical, or legal for that matter, but an option. Since I just got a VMJM, I may hold of on the CIJ and save up for a 60s lacquer.

marrvelousguitars
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by marrvelousguitars » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 am

EffinNewGuy wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:
take his guitar.
take yours too.
run.
That's definitely one option. Not the most ethical, or legal for that matter, but an option. Since I just got a VMJM, I may hold of on the CIJ and save up for a 60s lacquer.
Hi! :)
and I feel like should side on the offset side here but ive been GASing for a Townshend style p90 SG for way too long
CHOOSE WISELY!! :P

EffinNewGuy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by EffinNewGuy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:30 am

5 years later - I Still have the SG

I sold the VMJM not long after acquiring it - It was either too muddy or too shrill.

For Father's Day this year, my wife practically insisted I get a new guitar( :w00t: ). With a $600 limit ( :fp: ) So I went searching a initially ordered a new Players Series. After paying, I found out it was on backorder for at least 7 weeks. Cancelled that and went digging on Reverb. Found a nice used 3TSB CPJM with Fender HSC for a really good price. Made an offer, bought it, and am waiting for it to show up.

I'm so excited that I swear I have watched every YouTube video with a CPJM, twice. Even my 14y/o is excited (she briefly took guitar lessons and had a slight interest in picking it up again).